South hampton hotel

azgrandmax3

Just looked and, at that time, we paid €165 per night. What is strange is that we were on an extended camping trip before our first segment. (12 day round trip from Southampton to Norway for the Northern Lights) and I booked the hotel while camping. We were at a National Forest Service campground somewhere in Southern Utah and I had cell service. (Really odd as I rarely find Verizon service when we are in Utah.) When I found I had service I made a hot spot on my phone, connected the laptop to the hot spot, and booked a hotel in Barcelona from a primitive campground. Times have really changed from when I was young. 🤪

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

(Weird street name as it is sometimes La Rambla and sometimes Las Ramblas. Take your pick.)

When you walked the street and didn't understand what people around you were saying it was Catalan rather than Spanish.

There, I think, is a good part of your answer.

3 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Does the Moxy have any of  the Marriott perks, ie: Lounge? Does Room2 have AC? We won't be there till late Sept, but if it's anything like this year ac will be a must.

Says they have a bar.  Here’s a link.

Try this link:

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/souox-moxy-southampton/overview/?scid=f2ae0541-1279-4f24-b197-a979c79310b0

Edited by PacnGoNow

Does the Moxy have any of  the Marriott perks, ie: Lounge? Does Room2 have AC? We won't be there till late Sept, but if it's anything like this year ac will be a must.

It also says Room2 has AC, when looking under amenities from several booking sites. I’ve been looking also at Southhampton hotels.

We won't be there till late Sept, but if it's anything like this year ac will be a must.

July and August this year in the UK, and Europe,  were unusually hot. 

There is no way that you will need ac in late September.  In fact, I would want to know what sort of heating the hotel  has.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
23 minutes ago, beyondthepalace said:

Been eyeing the West Quay or the Southhampton City Centre location (we might want to check out St Marys Stadium the day before the cruise)

We use the City Centre Premier Inn, as it has it's own car park. But, assuming that you will not have a car, the West Quay PI is more convenient for shops,  eateries etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We use the City Centre Premier Inn, as it has it's own car park. But, assuming that you will not have a car, the West Quay PI is more convenient for shops,  eateries etc.

Correct, we will not have a car. Going to be flying into London and heading down towards the port. Was only thinking City Centre because we may check out St. Mary's Stadium but is West Quay really that far from it either?

5 minutes ago, beyondthepalace said:

Correct, we will not have a car. Going to be flying into London and heading down towards the port. Was only thinking City Centre because we may check out St. Mary's Stadium but is West Quay really that far from it either?

City Centre PI is certainly a bit nearer, than West Quay. 

I think only you can decide what your priorities are - personally I would go for West Quay.  Its probably only 20minutes extra walk. 

Perhaps John Bull could give his opinion ?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, beyondthepalace said:

The stadium is a little over 1/2 mile (10-15 mins) from P I City Centre, a little over a mile (25 mins) from P I West Quay.  Both are thro an unattractive part of the city.

But West Quay is on the doorstep for everything else - city centre shops, malls, pubs & restaurants,  old-town sights, waterfront, cruise berths etc etc. And likely a smattering of US guests

From P I City Centre every journey(except to St Mary's) starts with an extra ten-minute walk

BTW, St Mary's stadium isn't an architectural gem - it's a clone of a common stadium design.

I remember going to the old ground, The Dell. Now that was a fortress, an intimidating little ground for visiting teams, with just a narrow path between the touchline and the terraces. You could yell obscenities at the referee and know that he heard you 😀

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

Thanks @John Bull lots of great information there. I will certainly look into West Quay then. We just need a simple place to stay before the cruise. Being near shops, restaurants, and some sights is certainly worth it. If there does happen to be a match at St. Mary's then we will get a taxi over. Have never seen a match overseas.

1 minute ago, beyondthepalace said:

Thanks @John Bull lots of great information there. I will certainly look into West Quay then. We just need a simple place to stay before the cruise. Being near shops, restaurants, and some sights is certainly worth it. If there does happen to be a match at St. Mary's then we will get a taxi over. Have never seen a match overseas.

Hmmm - not sure if you can just turn up, especially if the opposition is a team such as Manchester City or United.

JB will help, with his extensive sporting knowledge  !

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Hmmm - not sure if you can just turn up, especially if the opposition is a team such as Manchester City or United.

The fixtures aren't set yet for when we will be traveling there. If not Southhampton FC, we might be able to get to something else in London after our cruise.

3 minutes ago, beyondthepalace said:

The fixtures aren't set yet for when we will be traveling there. If not Southhampton FC, we might be able to get to something else in London after our cruise.

Again, good luck, if you are wanting to see a Premier League game. 

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Because of their abysmal form this season there's a fair probability that they won't be playing against  Man U or Man C, or Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs & such. More likely a tier lower, against teams like Reading, Preston North End,  Swansea & Bristol City.

There's only so many times you can flirt with relegation 😟

JB 🙂

11 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Because of their abysmal form this season there's a fair probability that they won't be playing against  Man U or Man C, or Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs & such. More likely a tier lower, against teams like Reading, Preston North End,  Swansea & Bristol City.

There's only so many times you can flirt with relegation 😟

JB 🙂

True. 

I suppose if you support a US American team you don't have any end of season worries, as I believe there is no such thing as relegation !

• 2 weeks later...