Wonder of the Seas, smallest Windjammer ever or am I missing something?

5 minutes ago, retired dude said:

missed sailing a couple of times with you two on the brilliance out of tampa....we wish you well. B&B in clearwater.

I do remember those conversations during the height of the pandemic and cruise shut down.  Are you on this one?

1 minute ago, BillOh said:

I do remember those conversations during the height of the pandemic and cruise shut down.  Are you on this one?

we are on the explorer , the constellation and the serenade before the 1st of the year.....got tremendous deals on them and can't wait. We wish you guys well.....go bucks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BillOh said:

Having been on Allure, Oasis, and Symphony, I understood the OP's message. I am now about 250 days away from boarding Wonder and a few of the videos I've watched on youtube seem to imply they expanded things out again realizing it was a mistake, but there are plenty of alternatives. Thanks for your post. 

Do you mean they have expanded the Windjammer since Wonder's debut in March? We were on the third sailing.

7 hours ago, loman said:

Where i am , first day of school is today for about half the region , and the other half goes tomorrow . Teachers decided to have a professional development day 

on the first day of school so they go in tomorrow. 😂

Really... they needed an extra day after a couple of months off.

Actually, that decision of when to have a pd day is not controlled by the teachers.  It is the decided by the respective board and teachers have no say in it,   FYI

13 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Currently onboard WOS and there are like 6,200 people on this sailing (why aren’t kids back in school here) and the Windjammer area seems SO small

compared to other Royal ships. The seating stops at the crossover bridge thing. There are hardly enough seats. 

Am I missing something here or did they drastically shrink the seating as compared to other Oasis class?

You really missed something, it is the largest seating in the fleet and also the largest is square feet. As far as why so many kids, 6+ cruises with our own younger kids back in the day and now with are grown kids and their kids the kids are always pulled out of school. We never sail during any school holidays or summer vacation months. Just saw a blog from someone on Ovation of the seas and he said there were a huge amount of kids.

Edited by taglovestocruise

18 hours ago, Moltar said:

I found the Oasis Windjammer to be hysterically small. It was a joke. Radiance & Quantum Class has the best.

Breakfast on the Allure last week they made an announcement to please exit the WJ if you were done eating. I agree that Radiance class WJ  is really better at handling diners. Haven't been on Quantum class yet...

On 9/6/2022 at 7:44 AM, leisuretraveler223 said:

That's just super. Because little kids are so good at remaining sanitary.  Sorry, nope. Kids don't need to be grabbing their own food.  Basically until they learn to keep their hands out of their mouths, noses, shorts, and stop touching every conceivable thing in their universe, they don't need to self serve.

Totally agree

On 9/6/2022 at 4:23 AM, Cruise Gopher said:

Currently onboard WOS and there are like 6,200 people on this sailing (why aren’t kids back in school here) and the Windjammer area seems SO small

compared to other Royal ships. The seating stops at the crossover bridge thing. There are hardly enough seats. 

Am I missing something here or did they drastically shrink the seating as compared to other Oasis class?

i felt the same.  I did not like the large entry with sofa and then the crowded wrap around the Boardwalk and no view in the back.

I just felt like it was oddly laid out and some of the food was off to the side at the entry way.

I prefer the other Oasis ships in regards to WJ, but I like the solarium better on Wonder.

On 9/6/2022 at 8:22 AM, orville99 said:

The biggest problem we have with the WJ on Oasis class ships is not the seating, but the layout of the food kiosks. There is no logical linear flow from one station to the next like there is on all of the other classes of ship. It makes people wander back and forth to find what they want and jams everyone up.

I agree. I was on the NCL Breakaway and all the food was along the wall and kept hot or cold and the flow was better.  Oh and the desserts are better tasting on the NCL ships.   I find the cakes to be airy and tasteless most of the time.

Didn't care for the Windjammer on Wonder - found the design odd and also was a bit let down by the food selection on a few occasions if I'm being honest. I prefer the WJ on older Oasis Class ships, both Allure & Symphony had good ones.

Odyssey's WJ was better though so it's not a new ship problem.

Edited by CruisingJoe09

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2022 at 4:07 PM, loman said:

Up here most of them dont extend themselves during the summer break .

I do know of some teachers though that do make themselves available before and after regular hours . And one bought school supplies for her young students to make it easier for her students to learn.

For most of them though , as Alice Cooper would say ... School is out for summer ! 

Hey , its a good gig if you can tolerate the parents .

If you get a job right after Uni, you can retire around 55 with a pension.

Then you have lots of free time for cruising .🙂

Tell me you have no experience of working in education without telling me that you have no experience of working in education. 🙄

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 5:22 AM, orville99 said:

The biggest problem we have with the WJ on Oasis class ships is not the seating, but the layout of the food kiosks. There is no logical linear flow from one station to the next like there is on all of the other classes of ship. It makes people wander back and forth to find what they want and jams everyone up.

I like the layout on the Oasis.   I think they were trying to do away with the school cafeteria style buffet of older ships.  

On 9/6/2022 at 11:07 AM, loman said:

Up here most of them dont extend themselves during the summer break .

I do know of some teachers though that do make themselves available before and after regular hours . And one bought school supplies for her young students to make it easier for her students to learn.

For most of them though , as Alice Cooper would say ... School is out for summer ! 

Hey , its a good gig if you can tolerate the parents .

Then you have lots of free time for cruising .🙂

You do realize that teachers are 10 month employees, right? That means that they DO NOT GET PAID during summer break! Why would you expect them to do any kind of school related work (even though many do) during their UNPAID VACATION? 

• Like 1

We sailed Wonder during May half term. Windjammer was okay but not wonderful. We managed to get a table for our party of seven whenever we used it. The MDR on the other hand hand had tables jam packed together..certainly not following Covid suggestions. Service was very slow. We chose not to return after one visit and ate at the Coastal Kitchen where space was plentiful and service impressive.

7 hours ago, gingerpeaches said:

Tell me you have no experience of working in education without telling me that you have no experience of working in education. 🙄

No , i am not a teacher , but i would mentor and train the young newly graduated engineers we hired, that were assigned to me. 

With one stipulation... their mothers were not allowed to call me. 🙂

I had heard that the WJ on Wonder was bigger than on Oasis which is too small.  Dh had to wait on line to enter once.  Also things like no made to order omelets in WJ (they exist in another restaurant) have kept us from returning to that class.  Not saying we won't sail that class but didn't feel it was for us.  We have sailed all classes and prefer Quantum and Radiance classes. 

3 hours ago, cello56 said:

Then you have lots of free time for cruising

Except that may not come with health insurance making it unfeasible to actually retire at 55 (in my screwed up adopted state at least).

Edited by OCSC Mike