Late October Cruising, Mediterranean on Edge

Ricahdo

Most of my Med cruises have been either very early in the season (April-ish) or very late (from mid-October thru end of November). 

I would say I've done 8 cruises through various parts of the Med in the latter timeframe. Only on rare occasions have I run into bad weather, but on those two occasions, it was spectacularly bad. For example, on one cruise our ship could not enter the harbor at Civitavecchia due to high winds and rough seas. (The harbor itself closed, it was not a matter of the captain reaching a decision.)  Luckily it was not a turnaround day, but there were still a number of bitterly disappointed passengers.

Another time we had very big waves as the aftermath of a different storm that prevented passengers from tendering into Lindos (as planned); however the ship was able to go round the island and dock at the main port for Rhodes. Even then, waves were regularly washing up over the quay and even getting our gangway pretty wet.

However, this represents two out of about 90 days of cruising at that time of year. Other days were mainly fine with deep blue skies and fair weather -- never really hit weather that I'd consider cool or cold. 

• Like 2

We've travelled spring and autumn for many years.  There are few places in the western world that don't have good weather in October.  My idea of 'good' is temps between 60 and 75 with nice breezes.  To get a good idea of what to expect, do an online search for 'weather averages' in certain ports.   I wanted to book a Med cruise over Christmas, and was surprised that it would be too cold!

Edited by jsn55
add thought
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

I wanted to book a Med cruise over Christmas, and was surprised that it would be too cold!

While there are palm trees in Rome, it is about on the same latitude as New York.  The Med does not get as cold as North America, but December through February can be pretty chilly in most Spanish, French, northern Italian and Greek ports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

While there are palm trees in Rome, it is about on the same latitude as New York.  The Med does not get as cold as North America, but December through February can be pretty chilly in most Spanish, French, northern Italian and Greek ports.

Is there even such a thing as the average weather in North America?  From the Yukon to Florida might encompass a wide range.  😀

Edited by ldubs

I think Oct and Nov are great times to travel in the Med. Like Cruisemom, I have had one spectacular day of bad weather - a Medicane, which is a hurricane in the Med. We survived that, and I found it very exciting.  We had to miss Crete because the captain had to slow down the ship as we had no alternative path. The rest of the days were lovely and comfortable with just a bit of rain.  Better than sweltering heat.

October is our favorite month for Med cruising and indeed for spending time in Greece, Turkey, or Italy.  At least four of our Med cruises have been in this time frame.

Last trip we were sunbathing in Cyprus at the end of October.  We have done the same in Sicily. 

Our best time in Rome were four glorious days in mid November.   Light sweater in the AM, short sleeves by mid afternoon.   The bigger bonus....no crowds of tourists and great hotel rates and wonderful fall lighting.

You never know with the weather. No one can accurately predict it.  We typically aim for an Oct 20 something disembarkation just to be safe.  Land trips are different for us.