Dining choice: Set time or flex?

Caracarn2

So as it was explained to me by the booking agent at Carnival, you can either have an set early or late dinner seating where you get the same wait staff, which I assume means the same table and same guests?   Or you can do Your Time which just let's you walk in whenever.   Originally I was going to pick the set time (early at 6) as it would be kind of nice to get to know a set of folks on the cruise etc.   But then the agent recommended the flex as they said it avoids any conflicts.   First I thought "yeah perhaps we'd be out at our port of call" but when I rechecked the itinerary we always leave the port of call at or before 6 so we'd have to be on the ship anyway so that issue seemed moot.  They also mentioned shows or such and not knowing when those tend to be etc. they kind of talked me into the Your Time option.   Now I'm second guessing as the set time seems nice and looks like less likely to wait (website says could wait 20 minutes for a table on the Your Time plan).  

So what do the vets think?

It really is personal preference.  We've done both, and now always opt for anytime dining. In the past we occasionally encountered shared tables which included a guest or guests who were so annoying or objectionable that we had to request a move to another table. And we often prefer to just dine as a couple instead of with strangers. Anytime dining gives us the option to dine when and with whom on any given night. And on many cruises when we get a table and/or servers that we really like, we just ask the Maitre d' to put us at that same table each night. There's a reason why flex dining is so popular and traditional  dining is going the way of the dinosaur.

I dont sail on Carnival, but most lines allow reservations for any time dining, so wait times should not be long 

Edited by mom says

12 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

It's really a personal preference.

Am I correct in assuming you'll be sitting with the same passengers each time at dinner, or does this just mean we are in the same area of the dining room (hence the same wait staff) but they cover many tables so we may have different folks each time?   My parents have gone one over 20 cruises and they speak about how they made friends with a new couple over dinners on the cruise so I figured the former but perhaps my assumption is wrong.   That's really the draw for me, of the set seating, that I can get to know some folks and perhaps make some new friends.

1 minute ago, mom says said:

It really is personal preference.  We've done both, and now always opt for anytime dining. In the past we occasionally encountered shared tables which included a guest or guests who were so annoying or objectionable that we had to request a move to another table. And we often prefer to just dine as a couple instead of with strangers. Anytime dining gives us the option to dine when and with whom on any given night. And on many cruises when we get a table and/or servers that we really like, we just ask the Maitre d' to put us at that same table each night. There's a reason why flex dining is so popular and traditional  dining is going the way of the dinosaur.

This basically answered the question I just posted above but we crossed.   So we can have the best of both worlds with flex dining, if I understand what you are saying.  We can still send up at the same table if we ask.  And yes, the downside had occurred to me that with set seating you might get a bad experience too (the couple that gets drunk every meal and is obnoxious etc..)

For us, set dining for sure! We have always had amazing people at our table. We choose late dining- go to the show first, and then a leisurely dinner where more often that not our table is one of the last to leave. The one cruise where we were in Aqua- we loved the meals, but missed the dining companions. Luckily we met people during the cruise also in Aqua so we could reserve tables with them. 

• Like 1

It is a personal choice.  I have experienced both types of dining and prefer late sitting fixed.  Early sitting is too early; I normally am a late diner at home; early often does conflict with sailaway times or my HH time, which is very important to me.  Once I had to request a table change after the first night's dinner when, while the ladies were pleasant, they related and wanted to converse in German.  I know some German, but, not enough to carry on a dinner conversation.  

Hiya and welcome to your first cruise...you will love it!

We have done both and much prefer flex/freedom dining.

1st, The main reason is I can eat when I want. Nothing worse if come off a tour and back in cabin you fall asleep and wake 20 mins before your sitting. One mad rush to get ready. There might be a show you want to see or have drinks with another couple you have met...then the choice is yours how you spend your evening.

2nd, Meeting the same people every evening can get a bit monotonous, especially if you have someone on the table who commands attention all the time!...meet so many more people by changing each night.

3rd, I feel like eating at the buffet tonight or another speciality restaurant. I can just go. Politeness is always to tell your table you won't be there the following night, but I didn't know then I fancied Buffet this evening!. Nothing worse than being on a table and you are waiting for a couple to turn up who didn't have the manners the night before to say they wouldn't be eating tonight with us.

Enjoy........Chris

• Like 1

When it is just the two (or three with my mom) of us, we choose Your Way open seating. On HAL that means you can vary your time, sit with random others in the MDR, or pick&choose at the Lido. We did not particularly like open seating on RCI, I'm sure they thought they were doing us a favor in putting us at the same table every night! Nominally a 2-seat table (but right next to another 2-top). It was fine but seemed to miss the point as do ships where you still make a daily reservation.

The only time we have done fixed dining at all recently, was when we sailed with groups of 8 or 10 family members -- then it was when we would get together and chat about our day and our plans!

• Like 1

All wonderful feedback, thanks so much to all!

Based on what I've heard and the prevailing opinions I'm going to stick with the flexible option.  Many points I had not even thought of, like the buffet option (do must ships have a main dining and buffet or only on big ones?)   We're on Carnival Spirit which I understand is a bit on the middle side with a bit over 2,000 passengers and did not seem to be a buffet listed, but then again no main dining was either, just the specialty restaurants etc. and that's maybe that for those in the know you understand their is ALWAYS a MDR and a buffet option.

Additionally my wife has zero interest in formal nights and it will allow us to back less things so I think the precludes us from the MDR on those nights anyway.

25 minutes ago, Caracarn2 said:

We're on Carnival Spirit which I understand is a bit on the middle side with a bit over 2,000 passengers and did not seem to be a buffet listed, but then again no main dining was either, just the specialty restaurants etc. and that's maybe that for those in the know you understand their is ALWAYS a MDR and a buffet option.

Additionally my wife has zero interest in formal nights and it will allow us to back less things so I think the precludes us from the MDR on those nights anyway.

The Spirit has a buffet; it is called La Playa Grille Lido Restaurant on the Lido Deck (Deck 9). The plan on cruisedeckplans.com shows a salad bar, pizza station, Deli, Buffet, Seafood Corner, and "Taste of the Nations". Particulars could have changed with the lock-down/re-start, but it is sure to be there.

Your MDR is the Empire Restaurant on Decks 2&3. One level is probably set up for fixed seating and the other for open seating.

You should go onto the Carnival Board and ask about level of formality in the MDR -- It may be that a collared shirt and non-ragged jeans will get you in, even on "formal" nights! But, dinner in the Lido is not a bad thing, either.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CRUISENSNOOZE said:

3rd, I feel like eating at the buffet tonight or another speciality restaurant. I can just go. Politeness is always to tell your table you won't be there the following night, but I didn't know then I fancied Buffet this evening!. Nothing worse than being on a table and you are waiting for a couple to turn up who didn't have the manners the night before to say they wouldn't be eating tonight with us.

Excellent points!  The times that I have chosen open sitting dining was when I knew before the cruise that I wanted/needed to try different dining options or times.  Not far to tablemates (or Stewards) at a fixed seating table when one is this mysterious figure that seems to appear and...then not....then appear again.....etc.

Most certainly, if one has chosen fixed seating, it is common courtesy to inform the Stewards and your tablemates that you expect not to appear for dinner the next evening. 

• Like 3

It appears that you have put some thought into your options, and made a decision.  However, just a few further thoughts.

We always do set (late) dining, by choice.  In 40+ cruises, we have only once or twice had an unpleasant companion at the table, and that was tempered by the others, the good ones, who were also there.

I have recently heard a number of complaints of long wait times when showing up for flex dining, at least on some ships. I don't know how widespread this is.  With set dining, we know we can walk in at our assigned time, and go right to our table. (And, yes, it will be with the same table mates every night, so no additional first-night "Where are you from?" small talk.)

• Like 2

On 9/8/2022 at 5:03 PM, Caracarn2 said:

But then the agent recommended the flex as they said it avoids any conflicts.   

So what do the vets think?

I have no idea what sort of things might be regarded as "conflicts".  Most people go on a cruise as a relaxing break, not to criticise others or suggest you should be doing or not doing  something. Set dining means sharing same table with same set of dining companions every evening at the same time each evening.  You get to know a set group of people over a longer period which is handy if they have good tips on increasing the appreciation of the cruise and they are probably interesting in some ways.

Flexible dining is dining alone at varying times or same times. Alternatively you can share tables with different companions at random on tables of different sizes at same time or different times each evening.  You may chop and change table size, time and often restaurant and pick out the best option you like, only time will tell.

Regards John

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, john watson said:

I have no idea what sort of things might be regarded as "conflicts".  Most people go on a cruise as a relaxing break, not to criticise others or suggest you should be doing or not doing  something. 

I did walk-in dining on my last cruise and very much enjoyed meeting plenty of new people. The types of “conflict” I experienced aren’t being criticized—it’s that I’m very liberal in my opinions and many cruisers are more conservative. I don’t want to offend anyone, and it’s not the time or the place to have fervent belief-driven conversations, so it’s a bit of a minefield to avoid topics where I know opinions will come up that I find repugnant enough that I must then both immediately change the subject and actively look for the good in my fellow diners in order to remain at their table.

These days, with the amount of conflict in our world as a whole, there are an awful lot of topics that need to be avoided. Like, sports used to be a safe one, and it’s not anymore. So far, it’s been worth the roulette, but the first few minutes of every dinner are (for me) full of tension while I figure out what’s OK to talk about.

• Like 1

Fixed dining offers the rather rare opportunity to get to know a group by dining together regularly.  The fact that others have the option of flex dining means that you are unlikely to be seated with folks who are uncomfortable dining with others.  Of course, basic common sense should guide conversation: having an opinion (intelligently stated) is fine - listen a bit more than you speak, expressing an opinion is OK as long as you do not try to convince others that your opinion is better than theirs, and think of yourself as being the guest of your table mates rather than their host.

Practically, we prefer having the same servers and the ability to go directly to our table rather than wait (perhaps quite a while) when we get to the dining room.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MrsHat said:

Like, sports used to be a safe one, and it’s not anymore.

An interesting comment.  The sports and teams that may interest may not interest others.  I can quickly determine this.  Particularly for NFL Teams, I have had some interesting discussions with others.  Most of those times, these discussions are best held in the ship's sports bar or some other watering hole.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

An interesting comment.  The sports and teams that may interest may not interest others.  I can quickly determine this.  Particularly for NFL Teams, I have had some interesting discussions with others.  Most of those times, these discussions are best held in the ship's sports bar or some other watering hole.  

The only problem with sports is where you get an ardent reds fan and an opposing blues fan and neither can get away from the topic of the superior team. Alternatively where four people on a table of six can talk about nothing except the sport.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

We prefer the anytime dining option. If we feel like dining earlier or later because of an activity we’re not bound to a specific time. We also enjoy meeting new people at dinner. 

It’s really a personal choice but anytime dining works best for us. 

I'm a HUGE fan of fixed time dining. One of my favorite things about being on a cruise is having the same servers every night - they really get to know you, your preferences, etc. If you always want a martini or coffee to start dinner, after a couple of nights you are likely to find it waiting for you. They can also help you decide what is best to try for dinner based on what you've ordered before.

I enjoy structuring my day around dinner. I HATE when, on land based vacations, you have the discussion: You hungry? Nah. When do you want to go for dinner? Whenever you want is fine by me, etc. When on a cruise I want as few decisions as necessary, and figuring when to go to dinner is one I can do without.

• Like 3

On 9/10/2022 at 2:40 PM, john watson said:

I have no idea what sort of things might be regarded as "conflicts".  Most people go on a cruise as a relaxing break, not to criticise others or suggest you should be doing or not doing  something. Set dining means sharing same table with same set of dining companions every evening at the same time each evening.  You get to know a set group of people over a longer period which is handy if they have good tips on increasing the appreciation of the cruise and they are probably interesting in some ways.

Flexible dining is dining alone at varying times or same times. Alternatively you can share tables with different companions at random on tables of different sizes at same time or different times each evening.  You may chop and change table size, time and often restaurant and pick out the best option you like, only time will tell.

Regards John

The "conflicts" the rep was suggesting were not the interpersonal kind, but rather schedule conflicts.   She brought up that we might want to attend a show or other activity on board at the same time as our fixed seating and therefore would have to choose what to miss.  With flex seating she was suggesting we could do both, the event, and then eat in MDR when we had time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caracarn2 said:

The "conflicts" the rep was suggesting were not the interpersonal kind, but rather schedule conflicts.   She brought up that we might want to attend a show or other activity on board at the same time as our fixed seating and therefore would have to choose what to miss.  With flex seating she was suggesting we could do both, the event, and then eat in MDR when we had time.

I'm not aware how Carnival does it, but RC, for example, schedules the shows to fit the timing of the set dining, allowing those diners to attend the show either before or after the meal. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I'm not aware how Carnival does it, but RC, for example, schedules the shows to fit the timing of the set dining, allowing those diners to attend the show either before or after the meal. 

This seems to be the practice on all lines which offer set dining as an option.

• Like 1