Dining choice: Set time or flex?

Caracarn2

2 hours ago, gojengo said:

If you choose a fixed time can you have a table for 2? On my cruise 32 years ago we were seated with incompatible couples and it was a terrible experience. 

It varies, if you are referring to traditional 1st/2nd sitting dining you may request a two top but are allocated randomly a table size so might be disappointed. If you are referring to anytime flexible dining but choosing the same time each night you may have a two top every night but may have to wait longer for one to be available particularly at peak times.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, gojengo said:

If you choose a fixed time can you have a table for 2? On my cruise 32 years ago we were seated with incompatible couples and it was a terrible experience. 

Yes, you ought to be able to request a table for 2 at fixed dining times.  Probably best to make that request when you make your booking and then following up with the Maitre d' on embarkation day before the first dinner.  If you request second seating, your table may be a table for 4, set for 2.  

11 hours ago, john watson said:

It varies, if you are referring to traditional 1st/2nd sitting dining you may request a two top but are allocated randomly a table size so might be disappointed. If you are referring to anytime flexible dining but choosing the same time each night you may have a two top every night but may have to wait longer for one to be available particularly at peak times.

Regards John

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes, you ought to be able to request a table for 2 at fixed dining times.  Probably best to make that request when you make your booking and then following up with the Maitre d' on embarkation day before the first dinner.  If you request second seating, your table may be a table for 4, set for 2.  

Thank you for replying.  I believe I was able to secure a table for two for the early seating. Fingers crossed it holds! 🤞

17 hours ago, gojengo said:

I believe I was able to secure a table for two for the early seating. Fingers crossed it holds! 🤞

Good for you!  I will re-iterate that you really ought to check with the Maitre d' during embarkation and before the first dinner to help ensure that you have a table to your liking.  This ought to be a priority after one embarks the ship.  

21 hours ago, gojengo said:

Thank you for replying.  I believe I was able to secure a table for two for the early seating. Fingers crossed it holds! 🤞

Your ship card will probably have your table number printed on it.  We usually slip in to the dining room some time after boarding, to see what the table is like.  If it doesn't seem suitable, there will be a set time and place (probably in the dining room) to request a change.  Good luck, and have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Your ship card will probably have your table number printed on it.  We usually slip in to the dining room some time after boarding, to see what the table is like.  If it doesn't seem suitable, there will be a set time and place (probably in the dining room) to request a change.  Good luck, and have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks!

I'll be sure to check location asap.🙂

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 11:03 AM, Caracarn2 said:

So as it was explained to me by the booking agent at Carnival, you can either have an set early or late dinner seating where you get the same wait staff, which I assume means the same table and same guests?   Or you can do Your Time which just let's you walk in whenever.   Originally I was going to pick the set time (early at 6) as it would be kind of nice to get to know a set of folks on the cruise etc.   But then the agent recommended the flex as they said it avoids any conflicts.   First I thought "yeah perhaps we'd be out at our port of call" but when I rechecked the itinerary we always leave the port of call at or before 6 so we'd have to be on the ship anyway so that issue seemed moot.  They also mentioned shows or such and not knowing when those tend to be etc. they kind of talked me into the Your Time option.   Now I'm second guessing as the set time seems nice and looks like less likely to wait (website says could wait 20 minutes for a table on the Your Time plan).  

So what do the vets think?

We do the YTD. The reasons are that you don't have to rush back to port for the early seating or have to wait until 8pm to eat. YTD gives us a chance to wind down from being out all day and not have to rush getting ready for dinner. We eat pretty much the same time 6:30 7:00 every night.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 12:03 PM, Caracarn2 said:

... Or you can do Your Time which just let's you walk in whenever ... First I thought "yeah perhaps we'd be out at our port of call" but when I rechecked the itinerary we always leave the port of call at or before 6 so we'd have to be on the ship anyway so that issue seemed moot.  They also mentioned shows or such and not knowing when those tend to be etc. they kind of talked me into the Your Time option ...

Several thoughts and clarifications: 

- Even with My Time Dining, you can make a reservation ... you can make your reservations for the same time every evening, or you can opt for later dinners on island days or earlier dinners on evenings you know you want to see a specific show. 

- If you opt for My Time Dining, you can always change your reservation "day of".  Just call or walk by the dining room and ask for a change.  

- Don't show up without a reservation though.  They're very flexible with time (will let you in if you're 15-20 minutes early or late), but without a reservation you're going to wait.  

- Does your online information already share your show times?  They tend to be 7:00ish and 9:00ish, and people who opt for fixed time dining (early or late) will find that their dinner works out well with the shows.  People who choose My Time Dining have to think this through on their own.  

- If your time is short /you're really excited about getting to a show or event to get a good seat, you can opt to skip dessert OR ask to have it packaged "to go".  Or you can go up to the Windjammer for dessert after your show /event.  

- You mentioned getting back to the ship after an island day -- few people stay out 'til the very last minute, but do consider that you'll almost certainly need a shower after a day ashore.  

On 9/12/2022 at 6:37 PM, Susan in Maine said:

I'm a HUGE fan of fixed time dining. One of my favorite things about being on a cruise is having the same servers every night - they really get to know you, your preferences, etc. If you always want a martini or coffee to start dinner, after a couple of nights you are likely to find it waiting for you. They can also help you decide what is best to try for dinner based on what you've ordered before.

I'm a HUGE fan of My Time Dining, and on our recent cruise we had the same servers /same table every night.  Yes, they asked my husband as soon as he sat down if they could bring him his favorite beer -- but that doesn't really mean anything to us.  We don't mind asking, and having our needs anticipated isn't a big deal to us.  

On 9/13/2022 at 3:38 PM, Caracarn2 said:

The "conflicts" the rep was suggesting were not the interpersonal kind, but rather schedule conflicts.   

We saw a conflict of the interpersonal kind in the MDR on our recent cruise.  The two ladies left their food on the table and stormed out -- the poor staff wasn't sure whether to clear their table or not.  

On 9/15/2022 at 9:01 AM, gojengo said:

Email the dining manager about three weeks ahead of time and request a table for two (this is also the time to request any special dining needs).  This is a common request.  (We're with you on not particularly enjoying dinner with strangers -- even if they're super nice, dinner is kinda long, and conversation can lag.  We are nice but not particularly outgoing people.)  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2022 at 9:03 AM, Caracarn2 said:

So what do the vets think?

I much prefer the anytime dining option for a variety of reasons.  However, you shouldn't have to be talked into it by your agent or by anyone here.  If you favor fixed seating, stick with it.  There are benefits and drawback to each.  

Thank you for the continued replies.   I've read them all and they are extremely helpful being a first time cruiser.  @Mum2Mercury yours especially as I would have had no idea you had to or should make reservations.   I thought it was exactly the opposite that since we did not have a fixed time it was just walk up whenever and go with it.  Related to that though, it seems like with yours and other posts that you still are somewhat tied to the two seating times anyway?  Meaning you could not just want to eat right in between and be seated say an hour into the early seating?   Or am I misunderstanding?   If we are basically still having to pick a time each day and the only flexibility is 5:45 or 8 then we may revert back to the fixed option just to avoid the added logistics of moving eating around.   I thought it would  be better because I thought we could just eat whenever the dining room is open.

11 hours ago, Caracarn2 said:

Thank you for the continued replies.   I've read them all and they are extremely helpful being a first time cruiser.  @Mum2Mercury yours especially as I would have had no idea you had to or should make reservations.   I thought it was exactly the opposite that since we did not have a fixed time it was just walk up whenever and go with it.  Related to that though, it seems like with yours and other posts that you still are somewhat tied to the two seating times anyway?  Meaning you could not just want to eat right in between and be seated say an hour into the early seating?   Or am I misunderstanding?   If we are basically still having to pick a time each day and the only flexibility is 5:45 or 8 then we may revert back to the fixed option just to avoid the added logistics of moving eating around.   I thought it would  be better because I thought we could just eat whenever the dining room is open.

I didn't read back but I think you were either misled or you misunderstood.  Flex seating means you can arrive anytime you want.  Reservations are an option, but not mandatory.  

On 11/19/2022 at 4:12 AM, Caracarn2 said:

I would have had no idea you had to or should make reservations.   I thought it was exactly the opposite that since we did not have a fixed time it was just walk up whenever and go with it. ...I thought it would  be better because I thought we could just eat whenever the dining room is open.

We never make reservations on HAL. Pre-pandemic we would always tell the M'd "Seat us wherever is easiest for you" and get a BIG SMILE as they were always to fill a larger table. Have not decided how it's going to be on upcoming cruise(s). But if you are open to sitting with others, you will not have to wait.

Our one cruise with Royal Caribbean, the M'd expected us at a certain time and 90% or more of the time if we were there then, we were seated in the same corner of the MDR (same servers) at a "two top" that was barely separated from others: just far enough apart that they had individual tablecloths.

• 2 months later...

I am booked on a Celebrity cruise in March. When I booked, I was asked what time I wanted to dine- 6 or 8:30. Was never given a “Anytime dine” option. I am a newcomer to the cruise world and didn’t know I could have an option. Called the company and asked to be changed to flex dining and was told I could be added to the waitlist ☹️.  Does anyone know if the scheduled dining on the Apex affords you the opportunity to try all four main dining rooms? Also, will a 6 pm dining time give us time to get to a show on time? 

13 hours ago, BarbbmckBra12 said:

Does anyone know if the scheduled dining on the Apex affords you the opportunity to try all four main dining rooms? Also, will a 6 pm dining time give us time to get to a show on time? 

Yes, you still have the option of going to different MDRs. Just speak with the Maitre d'. But if you aren't notified about a change to Anytime Dining before the cruise,  go to the Maitre d's desk on embarkation and ask to be switched.

There are usually 2 shows in the theatre each night, to accommodate early and late diners. Times for all entertainment will always be printed in the daily paper that is left in your cabin the night before

• Like 1