Book All Access Ship Tour - with or without children

ckruetze

I'm wondering if the All Access Ship Tour is interesting for children (age 6 and 8 ) or if it is best to book it without the children.

It would be great if anybody who has been on a tour with children could comment if they had fun or if it would have been better without them.

7 minutes ago, ckruetze said:

I'm wondering if the All Access Ship Tour is interesting for children (age 6 and 8 ) or if it is best to book it without the children.

It would be great if anybody who has been on a tour with children could comment if they had fun or if it would have been better without them.

Definitely book it without the children.  We think they will be bored most of the time.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ckruetze said:

I just did this in Navigator with my 9 year old son a few weeks ago and he absolutely loved it. He particularly loved getting to walk on the I-95, stepping into the giant freezers, and going to the bridge and speaking to the captain. He's an inquisitive child and likes stuff like this, so I think it depends on the kid. But if your kids are curious and interested in what's going on behind the scenes, I recommend it 

Thanks for all of your feedback.

I'll see what price it will be when the tour is bookable for our cruise and I will also check if there is an age restriction.

I guess the best outcome would be an age restriction then I don't need to decide. But otherwise I'll look at the price and decide it then if we take the kids or not.

42 minutes ago, ckruetze said:

Thanks for all of your feedback.

I'll see what price it will be when the tour is bookable for our cruise and I will also check if there is an age restriction.

I guess the best outcome would be an age restriction then I don't need to decide. But otherwise I'll look at the price and decide it then if we take the kids or not.

Sorry, but you will have to make the decision instead of Royal.  The age is 6 and over.

All access.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, aka303 said:

I just did this in Navigator with my 9 year old son a few weeks ago and he absolutely loved it. He particularly loved getting to walk on the I-95, stepping into the giant freezers, and going to the bridge and speaking to the captain. He's an inquisitive child and likes stuff like this, so I think it depends on the kid. But if your kids are curious and interested in what's going on behind the scenes, I recommend it 

We also went on Navigator last week. Our 8 year old had a good time for the most part, but we had to wait 30 minutes in the hallway waiting for the bridge part. It was hard to keep the kids entertained in a hallway. And security didn't let you leave to come back. Once they secured you, you have to be within their sight. When we finally got in the bridge, most of it was roped off and then Captain Johan promptly left the bridge as soon as we entered. It was extremely disappointing to pay all that money and the Captain just leaves after we were all waiting in the hallway for so long. The tour guide ended up telling us mostly about the bridge. The officers were there to answer questions at the end, but no Captain.

It's too bad we didn't have an All-Access Tour available on our March cruise - we would have preferred Captain James because I hear that he's very personable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Sorry, but you will have to make the decision instead of Royal.  The age is 6 and over.

All access.jpg

Are you sure that is for the all access tour on a ship and not maybe to participate in American Ninja Warrior or something like that? How should my physician or my medical history help in this case as I don't really know what to expect other then climbing lots of steps and standing?

But thanks for the information, I guess the age would be fine and when it is available to book and the price isn't too high I just ask the kids if they want to go on it.

9 minutes ago, ckruetze said:

Are you sure that is for the all access tour on a ship and not maybe to participate in American Ninja Warrior or something like that? How should my physician or my medical history help in this case as I don't really know what to expect other then climbing lots of steps and standing?

But thanks for the information, I guess the age would be fine and when it is available to book and the price isn't too high I just ask the kids if they want to go on it.

Yes, it is directly from the description for the all access tour listed for my next sailing. 

🤣

Edited by Ourusualbeach

2 hours ago, BazingAu said:

We also went on Navigator last week. Our 8 year old had a good time for the most part, but we had to wait 30 minutes in the hallway waiting for the bridge part. It was hard to keep the kids entertained in a hallway. And security didn't let you leave to come back. Once they secured you, you have to be within their sight. When we finally got in the bridge, most of it was roped off and then Captain Johan promptly left the bridge as soon as we entered. It was extremely disappointing to pay all that money and the Captain just leaves after we were all waiting in the hallway for so long. The tour guide ended up telling us mostly about the bridge. The officers were there to answer questions at the end, but no Captain.

It's too bad we didn't have an All-Access Tour available on our March cruise - we would have preferred Captain James because I hear that he's very personable.

Maybe he left due to covid. Didn't want to be around a bunch of strangers. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BazingAu said:

It was extremely disappointing to pay all that money and the Captain just leaves after we were all waiting in the hallway for so long. The tour guide ended up telling us mostly about the bridge. The officers were there to answer questions at the end, but no Captain.

Maybe he had some real "Captain duty" to perform rather than visiting with guests 🙂 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Maybe he left due to covid. Didn't want to be around a bunch of strangers. 🤷‍♀️

56 minutes ago, GJustice said:

Maybe he had some real "Captain duty" to perform rather than visiting with guests 🙂 

I was replying in response to @aka303 who said they spoke with the captain during their tour on the same ship. I just wanted to give a different perspective that the captain did not speak with us on our tour, which was disappointing since the bridge functions were presented by the tour guide (who didn't really know anything). This is info that OP should take into consideration - that talking to the captain or any officers is not guaranteed.

4 hours ago, BazingAu said:

I was replying in response to @aka303 who said they spoke with the captain during their tour on the same ship. I just wanted to give a different perspective that the captain did not speak with us on our tour, which was disappointing since the bridge functions were presented by the tour guide (who didn't really know anything). This is info that OP should take into consideration - that talking to the captain or any officers is not guaranteed.

I would prefer the captain or a ship's officer present the bridge, but I'm OK with the tour guide doing it as long as that person is prepared.  I'll pre very disappointed if our tour is like, "This is the bridge!  It's where they drive the boat"

On 9/10/2022 at 9:22 AM, mpdog42 said:

For my next cruise they want $178.00 Per Person..Yeah Ill take a pass on that one!!

Holey moley!   That is quite high.   What does the tour normally include?    

Before COVID, Carnival's "Behind the Fun" tours had peaked at $99, but they included a lot.  Engineering Control, bridge, galley, main theater (performers and also techs), training center, outside doors to the brig and the morgue, crew mess (dining room), crew bar, laundry room, recycling center, drinks storage, meat storage, steakhouse (if present), and complimentary group and (usually) individual photos with the Captain on the bridge.   Sometimes a group photo on the bow by the ship's bell and spare anchor.   "It's a three hour tour, a three hour tour."  (Sometimes longer.)  

Occasionally we'd get lucky and see things like an actual crew cabin if a vacant one was available, the Captain's private dining room, or (once) the Captain's cabin.  

On the other hand, Royal is now offering the tours post-COVID, whereas Carnival hasn't resumed them yet due to the virus, so that's a win.    😄  

Edited by Pellaz
clarifying tour length
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine2U said:

When is this tour available to book? We are not seeing it for Odyssey sailing in March.

Great question. I was just going to ask. Sailing on the Oasis in March. Do you get any freebies after the tour? I did one on the Island Princess many years ago and got some nice stuff at the end.