New to European river cruising - questions, thoughts, tips?

jcruiser72

We have a fair amount of OCEAN cruising amongst various cruise lines under our belts (Bahamas, islands, Alaska, Panama Canal, British Isles) but high on our bucket list is a European river cruise; specifically (probably) the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basil (or vice versa). Looking for inputs, in particular:

* Better to go north-south or south-north and why?

* River cruise line? Viking obviously does a ton of marketing but are they the best overall bang for the buck? We are also looking at Ama Waterways (very similar, I think, but typically larger cabins?), and some friends who will be cruising with us say we should also consider Tauck who I'm totally ufamiliar with?

* Should we also book air to Europe as part of the package (home is Florida) or book that ourselves separately? I've heard horror stories about people who did it via the river cruise line but also heard of people who wouldn't do it any other way?

Insights, tips, opinions, thoughts appreciated. Looking at maybe May 2023, or maybe fall 2023 after hurricane season (Oct?).

Welcome.  First thing I usually suggest is finding a TA who has (or has someone in their office) experience with river cruising. They can help you sort out the lines that will fit both you and your budget.

Most lines that sail the Rhine have pretty much the same stops, so it's more what you want out of the cruise - all inclusive drinks, tours, tips, partial inclusive - wine/beer for dinner/lunch, one tour a day with optional pay one in the afternoon, or now we even have some basic ones where you pay for your cabin & meals, all tours are at an extra cost.

As for north/south, that is something you may wish to review once you have your line chosen.  We found that sailing with Avalon, some of the stops were different depending on which direction you went.

Cabins are important, but just remember, you usually spend only sleeping times in them, as the scenery is on both sides of the river, so the small time you are sailing during the day, you will want to be somewhere where you can see everything. Also, rafting (docking up against another ship) is quite common, so you can wake up with a view of someone else's cabin, or if on the inside, the wall of the canal/dock. Yes, it's nice to have room to feel comfortable, so take that into consideration, and if you like fresh air, the lowest level windows don't open, but the money saved on those cabins can go towards something else.

As for air, we mention when booking that we would like to be considered for the line's air. That way, when it comes to booking, if the cruise line has a better deal (and ours usually does, as they are part of a large land tour company as well), we can book with them, but still have the option to book our own if we wish. The $$ we put down for holding the air "deposit" gets applied to our cruise if we go on our own, but we never have. We choose our preferred airline, and route, but not all lines will allow that. 

Lastly, look at the stickies at the top of the main page. They have invaluable information for cruise line comparisons - comparing ocean lines to river lines, what is and isn't included etc.   It will all come down to what you want - do you want an active cruise with biking etc? Are you an adventurous eater?  There are many things to look at when booking, but lots of research helps you to be prepared if anything happens, and you will be able to overlook problems and enjoy your holiday.

• Like 3

@jcruiser72, @Daisi pretty well summed it up.  When I sailed the Rhine I started in Amsterdam because I preferred to spend a few days pre-cruise there rather than Basel.  

You're correct that Viking does most of the advertising, but there are lots of other lines to choose from - Ama, Tauck, Avalon, Uniworld, Scenic, Emerald, etc. 

Cruising is my favorite form of travel, whether it's ocean cruising or river cruising.  They're different, but I like them both. 

• Like 2

We chose A to B because your pre-cruise sightseeing may be in the fog of jet lag and we figured we would be back to Amsterdam on future river or ocean cruises [correctly]; whereas at the end of the cruise we took the extension to Lucerne and Zurich, which we figured we would not be back to [also correctly so far, even though we really loved Lucerne].

We just completed our first river cruise last month.  It was on Viking, Amsterdam to Budapest.  Viking had included air and it was nice not having to find our own flights, especially as flights are not cheap these days.  We paid $100 extra to fly into Amsterdam a day early.  We had a swan level room and it was just fine for us.  You really are not in your room very much.  

The realities of a river cruise are much different, so it is helpful to be prepared.  There is only one restaurant and only one main lounge area, so river cruises are really set up for mingling with others.  Hopefully by next year Covid will be a thing of the past, but this year it just made for close quarters and lots of Covid running through the ship.  

Be prepared for river level issues and adjustments to the schedule and you will be just fine.  The route is quite beautiful along the Rhine and the Danube and we really enjoyed our time, even if we did come home with Covid.  

• Like 2

@jcruiser72, I don't know what horror stories you've heard about booking air thru the river cruise line, but it's always worked for me.  I was never able to find the fares on my own that I was offered by booking thru Uniworld.   When I arrived late at night in Bucharest, it was so comforting to see the lady with the Uniworld paddle waiting for me and a couple of other passengers.  We were taken by van to the hotel in downtown Bucharest.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Roz said:

@jcruiser72, I don't know what horror stories you've heard about booking air thru the river cruise line, but it's always worked for me.  I was never able to find the fares on my own that I was offered by booking thru Uniworld.   When I arrived late at night in Bucharest, it was so comforting to see the lady with the Uniworld paddle waiting for me and a couple of other passengers.  We were taken by van to the hotel in downtown Bucharest.  

Although we had our own transport in Amsterdam for our Rhine cruise, that is one of the things I will be looking forward to for when we land in Budapest. We will be arriving mid-morning, so it will be about 22 hrs of travel time...and I don't sleep on planes.  

I'm wondering if the horror stories are short times for changeovers, and not being able to select your route. I know Avalon has no problem with us selecting our airline & route at no extra charge, and Viking allows you some (never having travelled with them, I'm not sure how much) control if you purchase their Air package, but I'm sure other lines have some leeway as well. 

• Like 1

@Daisi, I can't sleep on planes either.  The Bucharest run was especially grueling.  I flew from Nashville to Toronto, Toronto to Frankfurt, and then Frankfurt to Bucharest.  

When I finally arrive at my destination after long flights like that, my addled brain tends to think irrational thoughts such as "This was a stupid idea.  Why did I think a Danube cruise in Eastern Europe was going to be enjoyable?".  A good night's sleep and a good breakfast the next morning usually cures me. 

• Like 2

We did B to A because we wanted a direct flight back to the US.  You have to change planes if you fly back from B.

We used Viking air+ which allowed us to pick our own flights, layover times, etc for an extra fee.  Most times, though, we prefer to deal with the airlines directly.

We did a pre stay in B on our own which I recommend.  B is a delightful small European town with some good museums. 

A post stay in A is a no brainer (which we also did on our own). You've already paid for your air to get to Europe, so stay a few days extra and enjoy what Europe has to offer.   

If you can, go in the spring when the Kukenhof Gardens are open.  Our hotel (Hilton near the train station) arranged a tour for us.

• Like 1

So many things to consider. For an example , I did a side by side comparison of Viking and Uniworld, making an adjustment for drinks (2 per person, per day), the total difference was just under $250, in favor of Viking. Considerations included a balcony cabin, same date and ports, transfers, beverages, gratuities, laundry, etc. Cabins are larger on Uniworld, with a smaller ship occupancy, and with final payments due 120 days before.  Decor on each ship are completely opposite. So, if you like an all inclusive, with all beverages, choose and you will make up the difference in a couple of days. In my opinion, all lines are great. Its just a matter of prioritizing your wants and needs before choosing the line that fits with your budget.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, jcruiser72 said:

Insights, tips, opinions, thoughts appreciated. Looking at maybe May 2023, or maybe fall 2023 after hurricane season (Oct?).

Forgive me in my European ignorance, I pick up on this thinking that hurricane season is a logistical thing that is important to you, maybe for flight arrangements? For a river cruise on the European continent the weather is not a big consideration unless you really prefer hot to cold weather as such or want snow or autumn foliage. May is a great time but October can be lovely too.

There are so many river cruise lines that you could consider and a spreadsheet with comparisons is a good thing to do. They differ slightly in some things, more in others.

23 hours ago, jcruiser72 said:

* River cruise line? Viking obviously does a ton of marketing but are they the best overall bang for the buck? We are also looking at Ama Waterways (very similar, I think, but typically larger cabins?), and some friends who will be cruising with us say we should also consider Tauck who I'm totally ufamiliar with?

Definitely consider all three. I think the one thing that always sticks out with me when I think of comparisons and when people have come from ocean cruising to river cruising to ask our advice is payment policy. Viking appears to be the line that asks for full payment far before others do, i.e. it could be 90 days, six months or even earlier, the latter of which seems to usually apply to Viking. Read the terms and conditions and see if that is an important aspect for you.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Although we've only travelled with Uniworld; my sister and her husband adore AMA.  After listening to podcast, it was interesting to hear that the AMA founder used to work for both Uniworld and Viking.  Very interesting podcast if you weren't aware of this history./podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/well-traveled-with-aaa-river-cruising-in-europe/id1491534962?i=1000576289444

As everyone will tell you, the only thing similar about ocean cruising and river cruising is that you're on a ship and moving through water.   One thing to consider on the north/south south/north option is that  the weather tends to travel northwest to southeast, so if you start in less than ideal weather, it may follow you the remainder of the cruise.  For airfare, we've done both ways.  I believe both AMA and Uniworld provide transport from the airport if you provide them with flight arrival times, even if you don't use them to book the air.  

Cabin selection is not as big an issue, because unless you get a suite, they're all the same size.  Also with rafting, and this year low water, your view out the window when docked may be another ship rafted to you or the concrete pier.  

There are no "sea days".  You are much more active on a river cruise, more similar to bus touring in that you're in touring a location for a few hours each day (and walking quite a bit), but your "hotel" moves with you.  Not like a bus tour because as you travel you can walk around, enjoy a drink or snacks, walk on deck, etc.  The da's touring may start early, the entertainment is more limited, but still enjoyable.  You get to know your fellow passengers better.  There are set meal times,  it's not like there is somewhere to eat 24/7, but in all honesty, there wasn't time for that.  Although you mostly dock in town and can walk off the ship and explore, be aware that sometimes it may be a bus ride into the scenic or touristic areas... it all depends on the itinerary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beesKate said:

Cabin selection is not as big an issue, because unless you get a suite, they're all the same size.  Also with rafting, and this year low water, your view out the window when docked may be another ship rafted to you or the concrete pier.

The first sentence is not correct.  Cabin size varies from cruise line to cruise line, ship to ship, and even within a ship [not just suites].  One example to watch carefully is that Viking's bottom-deck cabins are a good size for that price category, and their Balcony (top price) cabins are also a good size – but their mid-price French balcony cabins are the smallest on the ship because they moved the hallway off center to give the Balcony cabins more room.

Another example is that on AMA's newer ships cabin sizes range from 160sf (small) in the lowest price group to 210 (generous) in the middle group to 235 (very nice) for the top group – not to mention the four suites @ 350 [which many people are obviously willing to pay for, since each new generation of ships gets more suites even as the regular cabins get larger].

As to the rafting:  this has pushed us to book on the top deck since even if rafted you still get lots of light and air, plus a view of the sky!

• Like 3

If your schedule permits, I would try to arrive in Europe a week early.  In October, 2022 we did Basel to Amsterdam on Viking River.  We flew into Paris 10 days before departure.  Our experience is that the first two or three days after a US-Europe flight time for recovering from jet lag.  In 2022 we took a train from Paris to Basel, overnighted in Basel and then got on the boat.  There were several people who flew into Zurich, and started the cruise immediately.  It seemed they were not fully in the swing of things for a couple of days.

I would also add that you should be prepared for rain.  Viking has umbrella's available, but waterproof walking shoes and a rain jacket are helpful.    

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 12:00 AM, rizello said:

We just completed our first river cruise last month.  It was on Viking, Amsterdam to Budapest.  Viking had included air and it was nice not having to find our own flights, especially as flights are not cheap these days.  We paid $100 extra to fly into Amsterdam a day early.  We had a swan level room and it was just fine for us.  You really are not in your room very much.  

The realities of a river cruise are much different, so it is helpful to be prepared.  There is only one restaurant and only one main lounge area, so river cruises are really set up for mingling with others.  Hopefully by next year Covid will be a thing of the past, but this year it just made for close quarters and lots of Covid running through the ship.  

Be prepared for river level issues and adjustments to the schedule and you will be just fine.  The route is quite beautiful along the Rhine and the Danube and we really enjoyed our time, even if we did come home with Covid.  

We were on the same Viking Baldur/Magni cruise as you, being first time river cruisers, after doing quite a few ocean cruisers, like the OP.  I would wholeheartedly agree with your assessment.  Realizing that low water levels may drastically alter the cruise, and may require a ship swap, makes going into the cruise with an open mind, essential.  The only other thing that I would add, is that ocean cruisers are used to having lots of choices for pre-dinner and after dinner entertainment.  I felt that Viking could have upped their offerings on that front.

BTW, we also tested positive for Covid the day after we returned from our river cruise.  I had heard rumblings that Covid was spreading onboard, and I guess that turned out to be true.  Thankfully, our cases were mild.