Priority Boarding, How has that shaken out?

RCCL Fan

There have been so many changes with RCI during the pandemic and the restart.

My past few cruises I've seen no more priority boarding lines for C&A members.   

Is that a permanent change?    Was it gone pre-pandemic and i just missed it.

It seems to vary from port to port. I last saw C&A priority boarding at Port Everglades in February.  They had just reinstated it after the shutdown so there were definitely some kinks, but they did offer priority boarding for Diamond and up.

Edited by la_croisiere_s'amuse

18 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

I’d assume that as long as they maintain the assigned boarding times they won’t offer priority boarding by C&A status.  
But that’s just my assumption and you know they say about that. 

I don’t think it is a matter of priority boarding as much as priority through security. 

Galveston did away with priority lines a long time ago (pre-covid) but they still have priority check-in desks.

We never arrive the instant they open and have never had a problem boarding as soon as we are checked in.

I also think it varies from port to port but that is the one I have most experience with.

Edited by c-leg5

5 hours ago, steveru621 said:

What am I missing here? 

Priority boarding is after check-in.  Priority boarding is only used when passengers are waiting in the terminal, after check-in, for the ship to allow boarding.

Yeah, there seems to be some confusion between the terms check-in and boarding--and to be fair, I've seen them used interchangeably on multiple threads. But yes, they are two different things.

So to be clear, I was referring to actual boarding, i.e. the process of getting on the ship, not check-in upon arriving at the terminal. I haven't seen any check-in lines based on C&A status lately.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, steveru621 said:

What am I missing here? 

Priority boarding is after check-in.  Priority boarding is only used when passengers are waiting in the terminal, after check-in, for the ship to allow boarding.

I think some people are confusing check-in with priority boarding. On every cruise I have been on this year where I was in the terminal before boarding started, they have still had priority boarding for suites, C&A Pinnacles thru Diamonds and then the Key. After that I have no idea since I am no longer in the terminal at that point. 

I am starting to like having a check-in time of 12 PM or even 12:30 PM. When I have had these check-in times, we have literally walked non-stop from the parking garage to the ship, with the obvious stops for checking documents and security checks in the terminal. An extra 60 minutes or so on the ship is not going to impact my cruise. 

13 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am starting to like having a check-in time of 12 PM or even 12:30 PM. When I have had these check-in times, we have literally walked non-stop from the parking garage to the ship, with the obvious stops for checking documents and security checks in the terminal. An extra 60 minutes or so on the ship is not going to impact my cruise. 

You are right - you may never miss that hour, but I think some people just want to savor every possible moment.  It is nice to walk around and explore a nearly empty ship.  Me personally, I have nothing else to do on boarding day, so I get on as soon as I can.  

Sept 04 2022 Port Canaveral Harmony of Seas. We had 10:30  Check in. Had us sit until 11. They then called suites, pens and  the Key. Then Diamond Plus. People were trying to board with wrong status and were being turned back. Can’t tell you what happened after D+ as we were on the ship doing are thing.