SECOND ArriveCAN APP Required Before Cruise!!! Alert!

nini

The following is from the https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

This is the very first I have heard about this. I have not seen any mention on CC. Thought I would post. I did not find this on:

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

Comments?

Entering Canada by land or air before embarking on a cruise

You must complete your ArriveCAN submission before entering Canada, no more than 72 hours of boarding your flight or before entering Canada by land.

• If you’re flying in to join a cruise immediately, enter the address of your terminal.
  • If you’re not joining the cruise immediately, enter the address of your hotel.

You must also submit a second ArriveCAN submission no more than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. This applies even if your second ArriveCAN submission is within 72 hours of the first submission.

Upon your entry to Canada by air or at a land border crossing, the border services officer may notify you that you’ve been randomly selected for a mandatory arrival test.

Mandatory random testing is part of the Government of Canada surveillance program to track the importation of COVID-19 virus into Canada, and identify new variants of concern.

Edited by nini
correct a word

• nini changed the title to SECOND ArriveCAN APP Required Before Cruise!!! Alert!
1 hour ago, nini said:

The following is from the https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

This is the very first I have heard about this. I have not seen any mention on CC. Thought I would post. I did not find this on:

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

Comments?

Entering Canada by land or air before embarking on a cruise

You must complete your ArriveCAN submission before entering Canada, no more than 72 hours of boarding your flight or before entering Canada by land.

• If you’re flying in to join a cruise immediately, enter the address of your terminal.
  • If you’re not joining the cruise immediately, enter the address of your hotel.

You must also submit a second ArriveCAN submission no more than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. This applies even if your second ArriveCAN submission is within 72 hours of the first submission.

Upon your entry to Canada by air or at a land border crossing, the border services officer may notify you that you’ve been randomly selected for a mandatory arrival test.

Mandatory random testing is part of the Government of Canada surveillance program to track the importation of COVID-19 virus into Canada, and identify new variants of concern.

Fine that you posted it...no harm in doing so, but FYI it has been discussed in more threads than I can count over the  last couple of months.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Fine that you posted it...no harm in doing so, but FYI it has been discussed in more threads than I can count over the  last couple of months.

Honestly, I have probably read the ArriveCAN posts both have NEVER seen a reference to needing to do a SECOND one before embarkation. It seems extremely redundant.

I posted about this topic this morning......you need to continue to read that paragraph and it says for those folks not returning to Canada a 2nd Arrivecan is not necessary. Example, I am sailing from Quebec to NYC.....no need for me to fill out Arrivecan a 2nd time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nini said:

Honestly, I have probably read the ArriveCAN posts both have NEVER seen a reference to needing to do a SECOND one before embarkation. It seems extremely redundant.

It is redundant but if you read the Canada website there is a section about who needs a 2nd ArriveCan and who doesn't. 

31 minutes ago, nini said:

Don't forget to check the responses at the same thread you started here:

14 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I've posted about it a number of times and so have others.

I apologize for not being tuned in to your specific posts.

It is rather odd to be chastised for my innocent question and post, while hundreds of others need the covid testing guidelines repeated several hundred times with absolutely no research at all.

My apologies........

6 minutes ago, nini said:

I apologize for not being tuned in to your specific posts.

It is rather odd to be chastised for my innocent question and post, while hundreds of others need the covid testing guidelines repeated several hundred times with absolutely no research at all.

My apologies........

The first words of my post were: "Fine that you posted it...no harm in doing so..."

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The first words of my post were: "Fine that you posted it...no harm in doing so..."

Sorry, it sounded like you were humoring me. I certainly hope it is ok with you.

What do you think of the hundreds, if not thousands of posts regarding testing, by people who do absolutely NO research on their own, whether it be on CC, cruise line website, or elsewhere?

I may not have posted on CC over 24K times, and I hold back on posting questions for fear that the answer is "in there somewhere."

14 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Don't forget to check the responses at the same thread you started here:

@d9704011 Not to worry........... I did read the others and the tone of responses was more positive. Someone else said that upon arrival, he was instructed to do his second one on the spot. So, we will be doing as stated:

• Like 1

ArriveCan needs to be filled out but no app is needed. Information can be submitted via the ArriveCan website or the app. There is no fee as with the Bermuda travel authorization. Scammers have created a web site similiar to ArriveCan's, this fake web site asks for money. The official ArriveCan website does not ask for payment.

ArriveCAN requirements will vary by itinerary, but in most cases you need an ArriveCAN submission every time you enter Canada from another country. Here is a summary of typical scenarios based on https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise and postings on various CC threads from knowledgeable Canadians.  Red means you need an ArriveCAN submission to board the cruise, Green mean you don't.

Cruises embarking in Canada

Everyone needs to submit an ArriveCAN in order to enter Canada via air or land.  This applies to anyone who is beginning their vacation from outside Canada (such as the USA). 

• Canada to USA - No second ArriveCAN is required to board the cruise.
  • Canada to Canada with only Canadian ports - No second ArriveCAN is required to board the cruise.
  • Canada to Canada with non Canadian ports - A second ArriveCAN is required to be submitted less than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. If it is actually back to back cruises, the ArriveCAN may need to be submitted before boarding the cruise returning to Canada. I would follow the cruise line instructions and hope for the best.  

Cruises embarking in the USA

• USA to Canada - An ArriveCAN is required to be submitted less than 72 hours before boarding the cruise.
  • USA to USA with Canadian port(s) - An ArriveCAN is required to be submitted less than 72 hours before boarding the cruise.

Anyone returning to Canada from the USA after a cruise via air or land will need to submit another ArriveCAN in order to get back into Canada.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

FYI, some cruise lines have been requiring the second ArriveCAN despite the rules saying otherwise.

I bet you are talking about HAL although other lines may say it too.  Some posters have said the HAL people doing the check-ins in Quebec City and Montreal understand the actual Canada requirements and you don't need it.  Others have said you need to "make up information" in order to check in. 

Does anyone know to fill out the ArriveCAN submission for this scenario without making up info? Here are questions that stump me for my Quebec City to Ft. Lauderdale cruise, when I am flying in a few days early:

1. How are you entering Canada?  I'm am already in Canada and I already filled out an ArriveCAN to enter. So I am not entering Canada again.  If I select Air or Land, the next questions make no sense.  So Marine is the only option left. Then . . .
  2. Country of original departure: Is this the USA or Canada?
  3. Port of entry. Note: This is the first port of arrival in Canada: Is this my embarkation port or my second port in Canada?  (My first port in Canada is not even on the dropdown list, so that's not an option)
  4. Date and Time of Arrival: To where?  Embarkation port, 2nd port, final destination in Florida?  If I try to make the embarkation and arrival date/time the same, will it even let me do that?

The best answer I have seen is: If the check-in people want an ArriveCAN for this cruise, let them fill it out for me or tell me how they want the questions answered. I am a little uncomfortable with submitting bogus info to the Canadian government.

5 minutes ago, travellgirl said:

So, no testing is needed now?  Just the ArriveCAN app filled out? 

Testing is no longer required to enter Canada by air or land.  Testing is still required to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that stops at a Canadian port.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#pre-embarkation-test

Edited by Jersey42
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

If you are taking a cruise? You will need a negative test.

That’s what I thought. 
my issue is we will be tested at home on October 6 for a cruise departing on October 9.  By time we get to our first Canadian port, it will more than the 72 hour window .  That’s what is confusing me. 

Just now, travellgirl said:

That’s what I thought. 
my issue is we will be tested at home on October 6 for a cruise departing on October 9.  By time we get to our first Canadian port, it will more than the 72 hour window .  That’s what is confusing me. 

The testing window is pre-embarkation, not the date you arrive in Canada.

42 minutes ago, travellgirl said:

That’s what I thought. 

See the previous post.....it is before you sail, not before you get to your first Canadian port. 

3 hours ago, travellgirl said:

So, no testing is needed now?  Just the ArriveCAN app filled out? 

(NCL) will  now accept documentation of CoVID recovery in the past 180 days(but greater than 10)  as the Canadian government has listed this as an option.  This is noted in the link above - option #3 under testing.  

https://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country

Anyway,  best to check with your cruise line.  I am not sure  if other cruise lines follow this, even though the Canadian documents allow it.

Several on my cruise this week on Enchanted Princess state they have been told the CoVID recovery documents will be accepted but the website doesn’t mention it.  Most are proceeding with a test to be sure.  

11 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

ArriveCAN requirements will vary by itinerary, but in most cases you need an ArriveCAN submission every time you enter Canada from another country. Here is a summary of typical scenarios based on https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise and postings on various CC threads from knowledgeable Canadians.  Red means you need an ArriveCAN submission to board the cruise, Green mean you don't.

Cruises embarking in Canada

Everyone needs to submit an ArriveCAN in order to enter Canada via air or land.  This applies to anyone who is beginning their vacation from outside Canada (such as the USA). 

• Canada to USA - No second ArriveCAN is required to board the cruise.
  • Canada to Canada with only Canadian ports - No second ArriveCAN is required to board the cruise.
  • Canada to Canada with non Canadian ports - A second ArriveCAN is required to be submitted less than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. If it is actually back to back cruises, the ArriveCAN may need to be submitted before boarding the cruise returning to Canada. I would follow the cruise line instructions and hope for the best.  

Cruises embarking in the USA

• USA to Canada - An ArriveCAN is required to be submitted less than 72 hours before boarding the cruise.
  • USA to USA with Canadian port(s) - An ArriveCAN is required to be submitted less than 72 hours before boarding the cruise.

Anyone returning to Canada from the USA after a cruise via air or land will need to submit another ArriveCAN in order to get back into Canada.

This is conflicting from my first post which is from the website.

10 hours ago, nini said:

This is conflicting from my first post which is from the website.

You need to keep reading the website where you got the quote you posted.  They clarify the “may need a second ArriveCan” part a couple of paragraphs later, which is where the PP got the info to summarize the scenarios they posted.  The website ends up being pretty clear, but only if you read the whole thing in its entirety.  They haven’t made it easy to get the correct info.

• Like 1