Appropriate dress for dining venues on Oceania

Sullivans10

4 minutes ago, Firstin87 said:

I agree that dressing up a bit makes the experience more special.  What can be challenging is trying to balance packing for a 20 day cruise with not bringing too much luggage since we are flying with not under- or over-packing and either having to do laundry quite often or finding that we brought a lot of unnecessary items to lug around airports.  I am looking forward to wearing a couple of my nicer dresses that I don't wear often, and my husband will dig his old dress shirts from work out of the closet for the specialty restaurants.

My wife had the same problem for this 20 day cruise and 10 days in Florida before boarding.   Her advice repeat repeat repeat 

On 2/16/2023 at 6:59 AM, LHT28 said:

I would have thought  WAVES at dinner would  be casual attire like the Terrace?

Were  the beards fake or were they sporting them throughout the cruise ?

Not sure  why  it matters if men have beards or not 🤔

OP was trying to paint a word picture.  It was clear to me just what they looked like, and that was the point.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Epicurean C said:

I think dressing better enhances the whole experience. Look good. Feel good. You probably will get treated better, and perhaps you treat others better. Win-Win-Win-Win!

Nice to see some familiar Oceania cruisers here. 

Just surprising to see pax dressing nicer than I've seen it the past. In the past it was always pax with a nice sense of style.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2023 at 4:29 PM, Firstin87 said:

Also, I've read the "no sandals" in the police and does that mean nice sandals or flip=flops?  Are they trying to avoid open-toed shoes?  Wondering if I need to go shoe shopping before we leave in a couple weeks.  Thank you!

If I were you, I'd go shoe shopping just to be on the safe side.  If they aren't necessary for the cruise after all, well...I'm sure they won't go to waste.  Just sayin'...🙄

• Thanks 1

On the Riviera now and in the specialty restaurants it appears that the maitre d’ will enforce dress standards to some extent. In Toscana tonight, a man tried to get into Toscana in shorts and the maitre d’ told him he needed to change to long pants. There was no argument and shortly after, the man returned dressed as requested and was admitted to the restaurant.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Cliff-FLL said:

If I were you, I'd go shoe shopping just to be on the safe side.  If they aren't necessary for the cruise after all, well...I'm sure they won't go to waste.  Just sayin'...🙄

no need whatsoever, unless you want to buy new shoes or the ones she has a rubber flip flops. Nice sandals are perfectly acceptable. Even fancy flip flops are just fine.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 10:24 PM, jsn55 said:

I'll define sharp as I see it.  A man with a shirt tucked into his pants, with a belt.  The shirt and pants have a color relationship.  A brown and beige striped shirt with beige pants would look sharp.  A blue and white striped shirt with beige pants wouldn't.  And now let's hear it from all the color-blind men out there!  These days, people dress so awfully that just tucking your shirt in and wearing a belt would look pretty good in my book.  

I am not certain why a blue and white striped shirt with khakis would not be acceptable -- would you also block a blue oxford cloth shirt?  Frankly that brown and beige striped shirt with beige pants would look a lot like a khaki working uniform (USN).

I do share your apparent lack of enthusiasm for the untuck look.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

no need whatsoever, unless you want to buy new shoes or the ones she has a rubber flip flops. Nice sandals are perfectly acceptable. Even fancy flip flops are just fine.

Skipping the show shopping.  My sandals are nice - not flip flops - and fairly new.  Sounds like they will be just fine with a sundress for the GDR.  For specialty restaurants, I'll wear a nice dress, heels, and nylons.  DH is harder to dress, in a way, as I would think Hawaiian shirts with dockers should be fine for the GDR (we'll be in the Caribbean) and a dress shirt and sport coat for the specialties.  He has new colored jeans (black and tan) which I would think don't count as 'casual jeans' that should be OK for the GDR, but he'll have Dockers, too.

30 minutes ago, Firstin87 said:

Skipping the show shopping.  My sandals are nice - not flip flops - and fairly new.  Sounds like they will be just fine with a sundress for the GDR.  For specialty restaurants, I'll wear a nice dress, heels, and nylons.  DH is harder to dress, in a way, as I would think Hawaiian shirts with dockers should be fine for the GDR (we'll be in the Caribbean) and a dress shirt and sport coat for the specialties.  He has new colored jeans (black and tan) which I would think don't count as 'casual jeans' that should be OK for the GDR, but he'll have Dockers, too.

no need for nylons unless you want to

Jackets for men are optional

You will be fine

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lj77346 said:

On the Riviera now and in the specialty restaurants it appears that the maitre d’ will enforce dress standards to some extent. In Toscana tonight, a man tried to get into Toscana in shorts and the maitre d’ told him he needed to change to long pants. There was no argument and shortly after, the man returned dressed as requested and was admitted to the restaurant.

Yes, we've noticed this as well. With the exception of the guy on the scooter(using his disability as an excuse to dress in poolstyle shorts & cheesy T shirt)All pax that we've seen were surprisingly the best dressed we've ever seen on Oceania.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2023 at 5:50 PM, Firstin87 said:

Do you feel you fit in OK at GDR without a jacket?  Does it get cold there?

Jacket is not required. I think it looks a little nicer in the specialties. Temps on the Riviera tend to run pretty warm. My husband drives me nuts by dropping the thermostat to its lowest setting.I guess snuggling has its merits.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Firstin87 said:

perfect

3 hours ago, rbtan said:

Jacket is not required. I think it looks a little nicer in the specialties. Temps on the Riviera tend to run pretty warm. My husband drives me nuts by dropping the thermostat to its lowest setting.I guess snuggling has its merits.

Maybe that's why he lowers the temp... I'm usually the one who gets cold all the time, but lately my husband gets cold at higher temperatures than he used to.  We're packing a sport coat more for weather than for dress code.

Now I'm on the fence about a nice dress, heels, and nylons for specialty nights.  Might bring them to make those evenings more of a 'date night'.  We leave next week, so I'm starting to make outfit choices - my favorite part of getting ready.

13 hours ago, Firstin87 said:

Maybe that's why he lowers the temp... I'm usually the one who gets cold all the time, but lately my husband gets cold at higher temperatures than he used to.  We're packing a sport coat more for weather than for dress code.

Now I'm on the fence about a nice dress, heels, and nylons for specialty nights.  Might bring them to make those evenings more of a 'date night'.  We leave next week, so I'm starting to make outfit choices - my favorite part of getting ready.

I find it gratifying to bring clothing/shoes that make me feel special, like a specialty restaurant dinner.  You're on the right track ... as long as the outfit makes you feel good about your appearance, it's the right choice.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Firstin87 said:

Possibly. Plus he like a cooler room. We've both noticed Riviera tends to run pretty warm at times, though better this past cruise.(Jan.31)

On 2/17/2023 at 1:32 PM, rbtan said:

Sorry, but if he looks like ZZ Top Then I look at that as slovenly.  Neatly trimmed, yes.Why do you think food workers have to wear nets?? Enough of these slovenly Duck Dynasty types.

You never have to worry about any of the ZZ Top band ruining your cruise. They will be in the $100 million dollar yacht parked next to your ship.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, mexicobob said:

You never have to worry about any of the ZZ Top band ruining your cruise. They will be in the $100 million dollar yacht parked next to your ship.

Couldn't have said it better. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Just completing our Marina South America cruise (fabulous!). I do not think anyone has to worry too much about what to wear. There has been a fair mix of smart casual/country club (the majority), popping out to the hardware store comfortable, and care home casual.  

Personally I wear smart shirts & trousers and long sleeved smart tops with smart chinos. Shoes too although have seen may trainers in the restaurants.

People do dress up smarter for the specialities.  Jackets etc although I did not bring any as this trip is a logistic challenge with hot/cold weather.  

Still looking out for those gorgeous well dressed folk in the O magazine😀

Edited by hawkesbaynz
Spelling
  • Haha 5

Thanks, hawkesbaynz.  I can picture the smart casual and 'popping out to the hardware store", but I've got to ask what is "care home casual" - lol.

Making clothing choices the next couple days and it feels odd to be going through my warm weather clothes while here in the San Francisco Bay Area we are having very cold weather, more rain in the forecast, and snow in some mountain areas.  Not the norm here at all.

23 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Just completing our Marina South America cruise (fabulous!). I do not think anyone has to worry too much about what to wear. There has been a fair mix of smart casual/country club (the majority), popping out to the hardware store comfortable, and care home casual.  

Personally I wear smart shirts & trousers and long sleeved smart tops with smart chinos. Shoes too although have seen may trainers in the restaurants.

People do dress up smarter for the specialities.  Jackets etc although I did not bring any as this trip is a logistic challenge with hot/cold weather.  

Still looking out for those gorgeous well dressed folk in the O magazine😀

On our Jan.31 cruise I've never seen the pax dressed this nice before. Most did look like the brochure ads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2023 at 6:05 AM, rbtan said:

On our Jan.31 cruise I've never seen the pax dressed this nice before. Most did look like the brochure ads.

They must have read this thread..LOL

Jancruz1

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

23 hours ago, Jancruz said:

They must have read this thread..LOL

Jancruz1

A lot of pax were really kind of overdressed. I wore my sport coat & a bow tie a few times. Keith pretty much stuck to his Tommy Bahama & other shirts.It tends to get too warm for him at night.