When are specialty dining reservations available?

oskidunker

13 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Thanks

If you haven't already, sign up at myVikingJourney.com and enter your booking number; you'll then be able to see a  rectangle for ONBOARD EXPERIENCE; click there, then you'll see a tab for DINING & BEVERAGE; you'll see the date on which you can make dining reservations. I'd recommend that you make them as soon as they're available, since Manfredi's and Chef's Table fill up quickly.

Sometimes you'll only see 8pm reservation options; I grabbed those and then went on board the ship and moved them wherever possible.

1 minute ago, oskidunker said:

Its says not available. Is it available after final payment or some months before sailing? Cruise is next March. First time Viking cruiser. . 

Most likely you're booked in a V2 or V1 cabin - neither of which provides specialty restaurant reservations before you embark. You'll be able to do this once you board.

I contacted Viking about this questions, are friends are PV and will be able to book before us. They can't book a table for 4, but when it is our turn to reserve, we can ask to be seated with them, if a 4 top is available.  This will be our 1st Viking cruise, so hopefully it will all work out.

We just finished a 15 day cruise on Viking Mars as a first time Viking customer.  I would suggest you search here on CC for more posts about booking excursions and dining for information from experienced VOC cruisers.  It was helpful for us.

I stalked MVJ leading up to the timing on reservation bookings.  At 2 am EST the day before they were due to open, I was able to book.  We were in a DV2 and the earliest reservation for Manfredi’s was 8:30 on the 10th night, so I booked it, with no intention of eating that late.  We went to the restaurant after boarding, and the reservation didn’t even exist.  They booked us the next night, at 8pm but told us to show up when we wanted to dine.  We did at 7:30 and were shown right in and seated at a window table.  Same experience eating at Chefs Table and again at Manfreidi’s while onboard.  

The top excursion we wanted for the trip was sold out as well.  Upon boarding, we wait listed  with guest relations, has 2 tickets appeared on our bed the next day.

I am assuming they limit all prebooked reservations to enable the guest relations and restaurant staff an opportunity to make things happen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whitbob said:

We just finished a 15 day cruise on Viking Mars as a first time Viking customer.  I would suggest you search here on CC for more posts about booking excursions and dining for information from experienced VOC cruisers.  It was helpful for us.

I stalked MVJ leading up to the timing on reservation bookings.  At 2 am EST the day before they were due to open, I was able to book.  We were in a DV2 and the earliest reservation for Manfredi’s was 8:30 on the 10th night, so I booked it, with no intention of eating that late.  We went to the restaurant after boarding, and the reservation didn’t even exist.  They booked us the next night, at 8pm but told us to show up when we wanted to dine.  We did at 7:30 and were shown right in and seated at a window table.  Same experience eating at Chefs Table and again at Manfreidi’s while onboard.  

The top excursion we wanted for the trip was sold out as well.  Upon boarding, we wait listed  with guest relations, has 2 tickets appeared on our bed the next day.

I am assuming they limit all prebooked reservations to enable the guest relations and restaurant staff an opportunity to make things happen.

Cloak and dagger or smoke and mirrors perhaps.

You experienced what should actually happen on a ship.

Your needs were accomodated and met.

Much better than logging on at 02.00 in the middle of the night to get a restaurant reservation.

That's not luxury is it?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

None of this sounds like luxury cruising.

I though Viking was a one class operation but clearly not if you cannot book a restaurant because you have booked a steerage class cabin 😁

There is no "steerage" on Viking ocean ships - the cheapest cabins are 270 sq. ft., verandas, etc. And Viking is not considered a luxury line, but rather a premium line. Personally, I see little value in pre-booking specialty restaurants as you don't know in advance what the Chef's Table menu is - or what is being offered in the MDR. 

19 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

None of this sounds like luxury cruising.

I though Viking was a one class operation but clearly not if you cannot book a restaurant because you have booked a steerage class cabin 😁

Edited by FetaCheese
All my comments disappeared