Oceania Air dept

qballer

Just got home from Rivera cruise, Malta to Istabul. Prior to cruise, Oceania air changed 2 flights home to Calif. I paid upgrades to exit row seats on the first 2 flights. With no help form Oceania, I have to dispute these fees with Visa. No one at Turkish air could help with this. Oceania air won't talk with T/A. While on cruise, flight was changed a 3rd time. Concierge called Oceania air and Turkish air in an attempt to pick out seats/upgrade seats. Usually not a problem. We were able to see, many good seats were available. Concierge Milli spent hours with this problem. About 50 others with Turkish air had this problem. End result, found out air dept is contracted out(3rd party) and does not work well with Oceania. Milli send emails to her supervisors asking for help and airing my problems. Turkish air would not let anyone booked through Oceania, check in online or on the phone. We got coach seats in the back of the plane for a 13.5 hr flight to SFO. This was our 6th Oceania cruise. The cruise was great and all was well on ship. If this was my 1st cruise on Oceania, I would not cruise with them again. I have a future cruise booked, with air(booked prior to this cruise). I will never fly Turkish air again, customer service is a joke. Also missed conection in SFO, due to immigration backed up to non citizens on flight. We got to spend 8 hrs in a 1star hotel by airport. Oceania and Turkish air would not assist T/A. 

I'm done with my rant, was very frustrating. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, qballer said:

Just got home from Rivera cruise, Malta to Istabul. Prior to cruise, Oceania air changed 2 flights home to Calif. I paid upgrades to exit row seats on the first 2 flights. With no help form Oceania, I have to dispute these fees with Visa. No one at Turkish air could help with this. Oceania air won't talk with T/A. While on cruise, flight was changed a 3rd time. Concierge called Oceania air and Turkish air in an attempt to pick out seats/upgrade seats. Usually not a problem. We were able to see, many good seats were available. Concierge Milli spent hours with this problem. About 50 others with Turkish air had this problem. End result, found out air dept is contracted out(3rd party) and does not work well with Oceania. Milli send emails to her supervisors asking for help and airing my problems. Turkish air would not let anyone booked through Oceania, check in online or on the phone. We got coach seats in the back of the plane for a 13.5 hr flight to SFO. This was our 6th Oceania cruise. The cruise was great and all was well on ship. If this was my 1st cruise on Oceania, I would not cruise with them again. I have a future cruise booked, with air(booked prior to this cruise). I will never fly Turkish air again, customer service is a joke. Also missed conection in SFO, due to immigration backed up to non citizens on flight. We got to spend 8 hrs in a 1star hotel by airport. Oceania and Turkish air would not assist T/A. 

I'm done with my rant, was very frustrating. 

I warned people about Turkish Air but some love it because amenities in Business class are good. Oceania air is not a good deal in business. Book your own next time with a good travel agent 

• Like 1

If the cruise was  fine  then just do not take the air deal

I would not dismiss cruising on O due to the problem with the airline 

Book your own air  then you can deal direct with the airline when problems arise

JMO

• Like 2

Oceania air and Turkish air blamed each other for problems. Veteran Concierge has never seen problems like this. I fixed problems the first 2 cancelled flights, prior to cruise. T/A has booked all my trips and has never seen this, he is an Oceania prestige agent. Again there were many frustrated people on ship with same problems. SFO imigration is under staffed, per United Air. I do have good trip insurance, that will care for additional costs. Concierge had a 30-50 min wait for help at her desk, last 4 days of this cruise. She has never seen these problems.

22 minutes ago, qballer said:

Oceania air made the changes. Turkish air could not upgrade seats until Oceania air cancelled first flights. I was booked first to Chicago, then Seattle....had 2 seperate flights home. There for Turkish air allowed no changes until Oceania cancelled first flight.  This was confusing to all parties that should know how to deal with this.

You have my sympathy.
One would expect that using the air booking service of the cruise lines would offer certain guarantees (or at least service) like ease of service, arrival on time for the cruise, changes in itinerary, seat selection and handling complaints when these are not fulfilled. It is apparent on CruiseCritic that this is not the case (makes you wonder about the majority of Oceania cruisers who never see this forum and read the overwhelming recommendation to not take Oceania air).

I have used travel agents who booked our air as part of their service and looked after all these things splendidly. Admittedly this is the worst of times for flying.

BTW the independent view of Turkish airlines seems to be that it is best known for cheaper flights.

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

You have my sympathy.
One would expect that using the air booking service of the cruise lines would offer certain guarantees (or at least servi

I do not believe  any cruise line has any control  over the airlines  they book the tickets & sometimes seats  but it is up to the airline to get you to the destination ontime

But as we all know "stuff" happens  especially these days of travelling

Even when booking your own ait  there is no guarantee from the airlines

JMO

• Like 1

little off topic

Does Oceania normally book Turkish air   as a rule or is it one you ask for specifically?

We usually ask for  the carrier  we prefer  when we do O air   as we do the deviation so may as well fly the route & carrier  we prefer

so just curious

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Does Oceania normally book Turkish air   as a rule or is it one you ask for specifically?

Unknown, as that is a trade secret as part of the corporate negotiated contract for air tickets.

One factor that may come into play -- Turkish flies to more countries than any other airline in the world.  Currently at 129 countries and 340 airports.  So their reach is huge.

• Like 1

as previously mentioned, buying air tickets through the cruise line can be more of a hindrance than a value, especially when there are changes or problems.  Fingers get pointed and nothing gets done.  Personally, I will only book my own tickets (directly with the airline), or use a trusted travel agent.

• Like 1

SFO immigration did a face to face check with every passenger on plane. In Istambul airport, there was 2 pat down searches, 4 passport checks and prior to boarding they unpacked/searched your carry on. The airport is large new beautiful place, just alittle crazy now. Security was up, for what ever reason.

My point of this post is, Oceania air has its problems right now and Turkish air was no help. This from vetran Oceania employees, other passengers with Turkish air, my T/A and myself on the phone with them for hrs.

My glass is usually half full. I was stuck on Marina when Covid hit. We got 11 sea days enroute to Miami and enjoyed the inconvience, thats another story. I read alot of CC posts on Oceania and try to learn from them.

I think we all can (maybe?) agree that buying airfare through the cruise lines (which usually ends up being booked on consolidator fares) is not necessarily a great option.  We have only done this a couple of times, and on both occasions, we regretted the decision later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

You really have to know what you are booking  & not just  go blindly into the deal

So let me make this offer.  Here on CC, there is a "Cruise Air" forum.  Some really savvy folks there.  I suggest that folks with questions about air for their cruises post over there - BEFORE you commit to a course of action.  And we'll be happy to give information, recommendations and warnings so that you are an informed consumer.

Fact is, the folks there don't care what you choose to do - but we do hope you do it with eyes open and in full knowledge of what you are buying.

Caveat emptor.

• Like 2

These type of posts are exhausting. 

I do feel sorry for people who have issues with their O flights. 

I am always in charge of flights in this house. Marital Unit has a dislike of airports and travel in general, and I have a large rear that needs to be comfortable. I take off the flights, get the air credit and then start to research (luckily I enjoy this).

Business class all the way for us, the O air credit is actually rather generous so that helps.

I would strongly encourage everyone to become comfortable with booking their own flights, it gives an extra level of control.  

• Like 7

On 9/17/2022 at 4:15 PM, LHT28 said:

sometimes  using air from the cruise lines work sometimes it does not

You really have to know what you are booking  & not just  go blindly into the deal

JMO

We used to always book our own air but in the COVID age we go through the cruise lines.  Why?  Because 1) Cruises have been changing their embarkation/debarkation ports due to outbreaks and changing rules set by countries.  If you book your own flight you then have to deal with changing departure or arrival airports on your own, sometimes on very short notice; 2) Cruises have been rescheduled and/or cancelled.  If you booked your own flight you are then stuck with a round trip ticket to nowhere.  Things seem to be stabilizing but there can always be an upcoming outbreak that upends everything again.