Packing in a carry on-New England and Canadian cruise departing from Boston.

PandaBear62

Leaving soon for a twelve night cruise of New England and Canada. We’re departing from Boston and returning there as well. We are flying in a day early. I wanted to spend more time in Boston, but we had an event we really needed to attend, so that changed our plans.

I prefer to travel with a carryon and personal item. This trip is slightly more difficult as Celebrity has no self serve laundry and I think their laundry service is quite expensive. So the only laundry I may do is hand wash. 

My bags are a Travelpro rolling 22” suitcase and a Kipling Sasha tote. Because we have the extra night in Boston, I am packing what I need for that day and the first day of the cruise, such as clothes, sleepwear and toiletries, in the carryon. That way I won’t have to deal with the carryon.

The clothes noted below include what I am wearing on the plane, as well as packed. 

Bottoms:

1 pair black ponte knit slacks 

1 pair floral pants (black and navy)

1 pair of black joggers

1 pair of black and white lightweight pinstripe pants

1 pair Athleta Brooklyn navy blue pants

1 pair navy blue capris (a similar fabric to the Athleta pants)

Tops

4 sleeveless blouses

3 short sleeve blouses

2 short sleeve tees (1 nice, 1 nice fitted performance wear)

1 long sleeve tee/tunic

¾ sleeve blouse

Dress clothes

1 pair “dressy” black pants

1 dressy top (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09N7CJSJR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1)

1 dressy shell. I will admit I haven’t traveled with a “sequiny” top before. I folded it inside out, so it won’t snag any of the other clothes. We’ll see how I like it.

Xm46n32eirLZzjifLofGwYZUsY0yeQcFa66Q0zTzuPjaWJaQCHYDeDh_gj-L3QeXNg6-kEYmlRMR7HZMbKEZd2HhLeTAx33lNBXDoQT9Myd_5jEh12SGdAizMUtzvCOYXl0tkdOFhB2YIBEe6tDJq-bNNf9Rkl-0oTzooKFCGBxl3u9BdFtt89kFBw

Misc Clothes

Bras  3

Underwear  11

Socks  (I brought a couple “knee hi’s”, ankle socks, shoe liners)

A nightgown

Black pashmina

Shoes

Sneakers

May jane style sneakers

Misc

iPad mini

Kindle

Electronics cords and chargers

Toiletries

Umbrellas (2)

OTC meds such as bonine, ibuprofen, etc

Outerwear

Black very lightweight ¾ sleeve open cardigan (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B089GDT39J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

The same cardigan as above in navy blue.

Aqua Sheen vintage raincoat. This was actually my moms and was purchased (I think) in the 1970’s (from what I can research).  Rain is projected for many days in port, so I am thinking I may need it. It’s really lightweight and is very long on me (almost to my ankles).  I may get it shortened when I get home. I’m going to try the length on this cruise and then decide. 

2JKo5zMJZacahvsllkEZWHzr_wA7FcYGFW9vAK6dQirJ_yX3tB_15GbSk4yBqiDDdwn_kKVXliMlgBqus0rKNxa4jc9XB8yvygGjzfcrjmn7omuswdBF5rM6fwEAIihLMe3f30A2ld_mkftgGFXQ_qNxmLUglreaUFU8Apyj3mQ7wvglIp2vzOSaZQ

The raincoat fits great in an EnV bag (9x4) (https://envbags.com/collections/pouch-sets-1). As an aside, the three pack of these bags are $12 and are awesome. 

UCaTjRh_kyz_Ijk-GbDoGX3Bg6F-QuyYdF51Z1jO2bJyVFrfFcvuxOSjqAEqwdgFcHDpyGfi2V3eYIH7UOcDBl2H3iUZgwiiZebmno1XAZgEnsbcagkv-z2G0XFFMMD7QWdGEgnzzxPDuFAfg0lf17pn8JUAyk6AXK8OEa5aMriObtCjc2ncAYsGqA

I also am bringing this coat. It’s basically a ponte knit type fabric, so not super heavy, but does go below my rear end. I think it will be the perfect weight for the weather. 

CIIVZHvAKZaBe9JpyKmNoj1OVA3XWgpMzaEicTFQYt91U1o6n3Xdoc4pRLMX1H2KeowGkKZ-ORqP6_FbxHqq8SlJbprtG08bAOaRStUARjcoqufwKTyDRLPdQcuaqw3ULoGCcq621wtNVMnWwwku30CRkgVjXvSyHvOgb64xVNCViJ2W3sDm7V3TYQ

I didn’t bring a swimsuit. Not warm enough for me to swim and I am not booking the thermal spa, as we have so many port days I didn't think I’d use it enough. No dresses either because I thought I might get cold. 

I will be doing a little sink washing. However, I don't anticipate having to do a ton. I have almost enough tops to wear one each day. I expect to re-wear tops worn on travel days (just sitting on a plane) or ones worn on sea days again, not very active), plus a some undergarments. 

My suitcases are not jam packed. I actually have room in both the rolling carryon and my personal tote. However, I also brought a packable tote, to be used on excursion days and if I need the space for the trip home. It’s unlikely I will, as I am not a big souvenir shopper. Typically, I purchase a couple of key rings. I take off the key ring part and use a ribbon to make the decorative part a mini ornament. I have a small Christmas tree (tabletop size) that I call my “travel tree”. I put all of these “keychain” ornaments on it. The other thing I often buy is a reusable grocery type bag. We have to bring our own bags where I live, so it’s another great souvenir, as I use them regularly. Both are great, as they are small and lightweight. 

I’ll try and follow up after the cruise and share how things worked.

• Like 2

Personally I’d only bring one sleeveless top & add another long sleeved top. I always bring a swimsuit. Add a warm hat & gloves to that raincoat & maybe a fleece vest. I’d not bring the black jacket or change it to a hooded rain jacket. Waterproof a pair of sneakers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PandaBear62 said:

Leaving soon for a twelve night cruise of New England and Canada. We’re departing from Boston and returning there as well. We are flying in a day early. I wanted to spend more time in Boston, but we had an event we really needed to attend, so that changed our plans.

I prefer to travel with a carryon and personal item. This trip is slightly more difficult as Celebrity has no self serve laundry and I think their laundry service is quite expensive. So the only laundry I may do is hand wash. 

My bags are a Travelpro rolling 22” suitcase and a Kipling Sasha tote. Because we have the extra night in Boston, I am packing what I need for that day and the first day of the cruise, such as clothes, sleepwear and toiletries, in the carryon. That way I won’t have to deal with the carryon.

The clothes noted below include what I am wearing on the plane, as well as packed. 

Bottoms:

1 pair black ponte knit slacks 

1 pair floral pants (black and navy)

1 pair of black joggers

1 pair of black and white lightweight pinstripe pants

1 pair Athleta Brooklyn navy blue pants

1 pair navy blue capris (a similar fabric to the Athleta pants)

Tops

4 sleeveless blouses

3 short sleeve blouses

2 short sleeve tees (1 nice, 1 nice fitted performance wear)

1 long sleeve tee/tunic

¾ sleeve blouse

Dress clothes

1 pair “dressy” black pants

1 dressy top (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09N7CJSJR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1)

1 dressy shell. I will admit I haven’t traveled with a “sequiny” top before. I folded it inside out, so it won’t snag any of the other clothes. We’ll see how I like it.

Xm46n32eirLZzjifLofGwYZUsY0yeQcFa66Q0zTzuPjaWJaQCHYDeDh_gj-L3QeXNg6-kEYmlRMR7HZMbKEZd2HhLeTAx33lNBXDoQT9Myd_5jEh12SGdAizMUtzvCOYXl0tkdOFhB2YIBEe6tDJq-bNNf9Rkl-0oTzooKFCGBxl3u9BdFtt89kFBw

Misc Clothes

Bras  3

Underwear  11

Socks  (I brought a couple “knee hi’s”, ankle socks, shoe liners)

A nightgown

Black pashmina

Shoes

Sneakers

May jane style sneakers

Misc

iPad mini

Kindle

Electronics cords and chargers

Toiletries

Umbrellas (2)

OTC meds such as bonine, ibuprofen, etc

Outerwear

Black very lightweight ¾ sleeve open cardigan (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B089GDT39J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

The same cardigan as above in navy blue.

Aqua Sheen vintage raincoat. This was actually my moms and was purchased (I think) in the 1970’s (from what I can research).  Rain is projected for many days in port, so I am thinking I may need it. It’s really lightweight and is very long on me (almost to my ankles).  I may get it shortened when I get home. I’m going to try the length on this cruise and then decide. 

2JKo5zMJZacahvsllkEZWHzr_wA7FcYGFW9vAK6dQirJ_yX3tB_15GbSk4yBqiDDdwn_kKVXliMlgBqus0rKNxa4jc9XB8yvygGjzfcrjmn7omuswdBF5rM6fwEAIihLMe3f30A2ld_mkftgGFXQ_qNxmLUglreaUFU8Apyj3mQ7wvglIp2vzOSaZQ

The raincoat fits great in an EnV bag (9x4) (https://envbags.com/collections/pouch-sets-1). As an aside, the three pack of these bags are $12 and are awesome. 

UCaTjRh_kyz_Ijk-GbDoGX3Bg6F-QuyYdF51Z1jO2bJyVFrfFcvuxOSjqAEqwdgFcHDpyGfi2V3eYIH7UOcDBl2H3iUZgwiiZebmno1XAZgEnsbcagkv-z2G0XFFMMD7QWdGEgnzzxPDuFAfg0lf17pn8JUAyk6AXK8OEa5aMriObtCjc2ncAYsGqA

I also am bringing this coat. It’s basically a ponte knit type fabric, so not super heavy, but does go below my rear end. I think it will be the perfect weight for the weather. 

CIIVZHvAKZaBe9JpyKmNoj1OVA3XWgpMzaEicTFQYt91U1o6n3Xdoc4pRLMX1H2KeowGkKZ-ORqP6_FbxHqq8SlJbprtG08bAOaRStUARjcoqufwKTyDRLPdQcuaqw3ULoGCcq621wtNVMnWwwku30CRkgVjXvSyHvOgb64xVNCViJ2W3sDm7V3TYQ

I didn’t bring a swimsuit. Not warm enough for me to swim and I am not booking the thermal spa, as we have so many port days I didn't think I’d use it enough. No dresses either because I thought I might get cold. 

I will be doing a little sink washing. However, I don't anticipate having to do a ton. I have almost enough tops to wear one each day. I expect to re-wear tops worn on travel days (just sitting on a plane) or ones worn on sea days again, not very active), plus a some undergarments. 

My suitcases are not jam packed. I actually have room in both the rolling carryon and my personal tote. However, I also brought a packable tote, to be used on excursion days and if I need the space for the trip home. It’s unlikely I will, as I am not a big souvenir shopper. Typically, I purchase a couple of key rings. I take off the key ring part and use a ribbon to make the decorative part a mini ornament. I have a small Christmas tree (tabletop size) that I call my “travel tree”. I put all of these “keychain” ornaments on it. The other thing I often buy is a reusable grocery type bag. We have to bring our own bags where I live, so it’s another great souvenir, as I use them regularly. Both are great, as they are small and lightweight. 

I’ll try and follow up after the cruise and share how things worked.

This is so interesting, I can't even imagine getting all that stuff in your two bags.  Please check the weather ... we sail a week from today from Quebec and it won't get much above 60 all next week.  I just added a fleece pullover and a vest to my stack. 

• Like 2

Very interested in this post, as we are also doing a New England & Canada Fall color cruise on RCI, out of Boston in early October. My plan is to use just my carry-on plus a newly purchased Calpak weekender bag. I’m going to include my Columbia rain pants, bought earlier this year for an Alaska cruise in June, and a waterproof baseball hat that is great for rainy days, which it looks like we may have. Basically, I’m going to pack almost the same as I did for our Alaska cruise. Will be following for tips & suggestions!

OP, I'm interested in your post as well, as we leave on Thursday for a C/NE cruise out of Baltimore. How far north does your cruise go?  Ours is only as far as Saint John, NB; 8 nights.

Apart from one short-sleeve top, in case I want to do an exercise class, my packing includes only long-sleeve items. The enhanced ventilation systems on the ship makes it feel cooler indoors, IMO.  In the ports, and for walking around the promenade deck, I will do layers including light shirt, light wool pullover, cotton jacket, fleece, all interchangeable.

Like you, I will not pack a bathing suit, as I have no interest in pool, hot tub, or spa.  Like you, all long pants.

I am packing a light raincoat just in case (and for additional coverup), but looking back at our previous C/NE cruises, I can only recall one instance of rain.  Cooler temperatures will be my main consideration.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

It’s 40F in the Boston area this morning & cooler as you go up the coast

That's crazy....weather.com says the high today will be 70 with a low of 61 and my phone app says a high of 70 and low of 52.

Who to believe?? Should I trust these weather apps?

We are flying to Boston on Monday for a Celebrity cruise up to Quebec and back.  Our ship does not leave until Wednesday so we will spend some time sight seeing in Boston.

I am not a minimalist packer but I have cut back over the years  in what I take.

My packing list:

2pair of capris, one black, one beige.

2 pairs of pants, one khakis colored and one black.

1 pair of jeans

2 pullover sweaters

6long sleeved t shirts

6 short sleeve t shirts

5 dressier tops

2 lightweight knit dresses

1cocktail dress(maybe)

2 swimsuits

1 coverup

workout clothes for gym

4 bras, 2 are sports bras for workouts

10 pairs of undies

3 pairs of socks for gym

4 pairs of socks for walking in port

1 lightweight raincoat that folds

up into a pouch.  This has worked well in Alaska and all over Europe.

1 Burton  hoodie

1 light weight hoodie

2 pairs of sparkly heels.  My husband and I do ballroom dancing  so these work well.

1pair of flip flops for pool area

3 pairs of sparkly sandals for evenings if we are not dancing

1 pair of Sketchers for walking on cooler days

Toiletries, flat iron, meds, etc.

Traveling to Boston  I will wear some khakis capris, a brown long sleeved tunic style top and some sandals for walking. 

I have a medium size travel purse that can hold an amazing amount of stuff so I pad, jewelry, etc will go in that, otherwise I am packing in one large suitcase that will be checked and a small carryon.  

Should be a fun cruise!

Sherri🙂

Edited by sjb317
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, awhfy said:

Personally I’d only bring one sleeveless top & add another long sleeved top. I always bring a swimsuit. Add a warm hat & gloves to that raincoat & maybe a fleece vest. I’d not bring the black jacket or change it to a hooded rain jacket. Waterproof a pair of sneakers

I typically bring a swimsuit as well. But I know I won't swim unless its really warm and with so many ports won't use the thermal spa. I took the swimsuit on my 10 day Alaskan cruise in June and in just stayed in the suitcase. 

I think I will add in some magic gloves, though, They take up so little room. I don't wear hats....I use the pashmina to wrap over my head and around my neck for warmth, though and my jacket and raincoat have hoods. 

I may bring one more jacket. I have a fleece style blazer.  I do have the room. But I think my current coat and the long rain coat will be pretty warm. I'll think about it.

The sleeveless tops are really a preference. I wear them with the sleeveless cardigan I mentioned so it's really more like a layered long sleeved top.  (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B089GDT39J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1)

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

• Like 1

Just now, sjb317 said:

We are flying to Boston on Monday for a Celebrity cruise up to Quebec and back.  Our ship does not leave until Wednesday so we will spend some time sight seeing in Boston.

I am not a minimalist packer but I have cut back over the years  in what I take.

My packing list:

3 pairs of pants, one khakis colored and one black.

1 pair of jeans

2 pullover sweaters

6long sleeved t shirts

6 short sleeve t shirts

5 dressier tops

1cocktail dress(maybe)

2 swimsuits

1 coverup

workout clothes for gym

10 pairs of undies

3 pairs of socks for gym

1 Burton  hoodie

1 light weight hoodie

2 pairs of sparkly heels.  My husband and I do ballroom dancing  so these work well.

Traveling to Boston  I will wear some khakis capris, a brown long sleeved tunic style top and some sandals for walking. 

I have a medium size travel purse that can hold an amazing amount of stuff so I pad, jewelry, etc will go in that, otherwise I am packing in one large suitcase that will be checked and a small carryon.  

Should be a fun cruise!

Sherri🙂

Sherri, We must be on the same cruise!

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

OP, I'm interested in your post as well, as we leave on Thursday for a C/NE cruise out of Baltimore. How far north does your cruise go?  Ours is only as far as Saint John, NB; 8 nights.

Apart from one short-sleeve top, in case I want to do an exercise class, my packing includes only long-sleeve items. The enhanced ventilation systems on the ship makes it feel cooler indoors, IMO.  In the ports, and for walking around the promenade deck, I will do layers including light shirt, light wool pullover, cotton jacket, fleece, all interchangeable.

Like you, I will not pack a bathing suit, as I have no interest in pool, hot tub, or spa.  Like you, all long pants.

I am packing a light raincoat just in case (and for additional coverup), but looking back at our previous C/NE cruises, I can only recall one instance of rain.  Cooler temperatures will be my main consideration.

Our cruise goes all the way to Quebec City. The cruise leaves this Wednesday (Sept 21). We have lots of rain currently projected. 

I agree, I feel cool on the ships. I wear a sleeveless or short sleeve top with a lightweight cardigan pretty much all the time. I have them in navy and black and think I may throw in the red, just to have an extra!

15 hours ago, jsn55 said:

This is so interesting, I can't even imagine getting all that stuff in your two bags.  Please check the weather ... we sail a week from today from Quebec and it won't get much above 60 all next week.  I just added a fleece pullover and a vest to my stack. 

I have been checking the weather every day. Today I noticed the temperatures are almost all lower than they were. Most temps were in the mid to high 60's, but now we're looking at lower 60's and high 50's with more chance of rain. I'm going to wait until tomorrow and check the weather one more time (we leave Monday) and make any final changes to my packing.

Lots of folks doing "New England"!  I am sailing out of Quebec City down to NYC but my cruise is not until Oct 22nd.......will be checking the weather for that one for sure and will probably end up packing almost like for Alaska. ALOT of long sleeves for me and long pants. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PandaBear62 said:

That's crazy....weather.com says the high today will be 70 with a low of 61 and my phone app says a high of 70 and low of 52.

Who to believe?? Should I trust these weather apps?

Possibly during the day, if at sea considerably cooler

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sjb317 said:

My packing list:

2 pairs of pants, one khakis colored and one black.

1 pair of jeans

2 pullover sweaters

6long sleeved t shirts

6 short sleeve t shirts

5 dressier tops

1cocktail dress(maybe)

2 swimsuits

1 coverup

workout clothes for gym

10 pairs of undies

3 pairs of socks for gym

1 Burton  hoodie

1 light weight hoodie

Should be a fun cruise!

Sherri🙂

Hope Fiona doesn’t impact your cruise, it should blow out to sea by the time it gets up to Boston

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Lois, When we sailed to Quebec a few years ago it was in the spring, and it was cold!  Of course there were school kids out in shorts and hoodies, but many of us went shopping for additional sweaters.

I will be bringing some sweaters for sure. I have  no issues with space but I bring 1 checked bag and 1 carry on. I will check the weather much more closely next month.

I like your list but I think that is a month late.   If you get a brilliantly sunny day it will work but if it is cloudy, windy or overcast you might be a tad chilly.   What type of outings are you expecting to do?  That is also important as to clothing.  If you plan any whale, bird watching or other offshore activities you definitely will need some warm, dry clothing.  I always bring some cheap panty hose to wear under my pants if it is cool

I sail HAL up there and can put a lot of clothing in their $20 laundry sack - well worth the cost. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

I am at the airport ready to go!

I changed a couple of items. 
I removed the capris and added a pair of fleece joggers. I took out one top that was to wear with the navy color and added a black soft fleece blazer and a navy sweater. Meant to add magic gloves but forgot….oh well.

As I think I already mentioned, I prefer sleeveless or short sleeve tops with a lightweight 2nd layer rather than long sleeves. So now I have the two lightweight cardigans, the blazer and sweater., in addition to my coat and raincoat.

I’ll report back how it worked. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PandaBear62 said:

I am at the airport ready to go!

I changed a couple of items. 
I removed the capris and added a pair of fleece joggers. I took out one top that was to wear with the navy color and added a black soft fleece blazer and a navy sweater. Meant to add magic gloves but forgot….oh well.

As I think I already mentioned, I prefer sleeveless or short sleeve tops with a lightweight 2nd layer rather than long sleeves. So now I have the two lightweight cardigans, the blazer and sweater., in addition to my coat and raincoat.

I’ll report back how it worked. 

Have fun.  You can always buy clothes!

• Haha 1

I’m currently on my cruise….day 6 so halfway through.

My raincoat is awesome, but does need to be shortened. The long length was awesome in Bar Harbor when it poured rain, but my husband almost stepped on the bottom when I was going up the stairs of the trolley. So I’ll take it to be hemmed when I get home. It was great that it was a size bigger than I needed, because wearing my coat underneath was no issue. 

Otherwise, my choices have been fine. I haven’t been cold on ship or on excursions. 

I’ll update again after the cruise is over.

• Like 7

We just returned from our CNE cruise, and I was happy with all the clothing choices I made. On sea days I wore a short-sleeve plus long-sleeve athletic type shirt, and if chilly, a light fleece over that; long athletic pants.

On port days I wore a light wool jersey plus cotton jacket.  One day I added my raincoat over that, as I thought it might be too cool out.  Either way would have been fine.

I made use of my brimmed Tilley hat while ashore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1