Is it time for all cruise lines to have one ''cannot sail'' list.

dolittle

On 9/16/2022 at 9:20 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

Avoiding Carnival is the best solution, apparently.  I just googled XXXXX Cruise line brawl, for Carnival, RCCL, NCL, MSC, Holland America.  One altercation came up for each of NCL, RCCL, and MSC.  None for Holland America or Celebrity.  But each Google search came up with several links to brawls on Carnival ships.  My favorite was a 60 person brawl on Carnival Magic last July apparently caused by a passenger 3-way followed by cheating complaints.  In all likelihood fueled by copious amounts of alcohol.

Those are the fights caught by guests and posted to social media.  With Carnival's insistence on using cell phones onboard makes sense people are ready to video.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

There are behaviors other than fighting that get people banned from a cruise line.  There was a woman on Royal quite a few years ago who was always finding a reason to complain to Royal about her cruise experience and get compensation.  She bragged about it on CC and other places.  Royal caught on and banned her.  An elderly couple on Cunard a few years ago who got to acting too entitled, were abusive to crew and other guests.  They were put off the ship.  A woman traveling with her teen son and his longtime friend who turned out to have a behavioral/mental problem the pair were unaware of.  He made his way aft to a crew only area and was hanging off the stern threatening to jump.  The captain talked him back in, but they were put off.  The man on a HAL ship who made his way to a crew area aft and released a stern anchor.  I’m sure he was disinvited to cruise…. EM

Surely you must be mistaken as it is only Carnival with problem cruisers. Lol

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The United States , New York, California  and a number of other jurisdictions have statutes barring "combinations in restraint of trade" and other bases limiting organizations combining to impose limitations on free access.  

Do your homework.

Do you think the boycott rule applies to a ban on people who start fights?  I don't, but it has been awhile since I had that text open.   

On 9/17/2022 at 1:39 PM, mnocket said:

Is this really such a common problem that it requires this type of solution?  I know things can happen of cruises, but it's just never been a problem for me.  I fear this cure may have unintended consequences.  For example.... say some drunk guy gropes your daughter and you slap his hand away - he responds by punching you and you are both wind up on the no-cruise list for fighting (cruise line bans everyone involved in fighting).  The "but he started it" defense didn't work well in grade school and it probably won't in this case either.  I'm just not sure it's such a wide-spread problem that a no-cruise list is called for. 

I think it would be a good practice.  Not subjecting the rest of passengers to known troublemakers seems like a good thing to me.   There is that old saying about "if you can't do the time . . .".

• Like 2

On 9/17/2022 at 5:52 AM, cruisemom42 said:

And yet in a thread from a few weeks ago you'll find many insisting that one is just as likely to find passengers behaving badly on all cruise lines -- anyone thinking otherwise is a "snob"....

Yes, well, people say a lot of foolish thing because they fail to look at empirical facts.  Me?  I'm an empirical guy.

23 hours ago, wcook said:

Unpopular Opinion: I’m not saying brawling is good, but in the grand scheme of poor cruise behavior, it’s not that big a deal. Chair hogs are worse. 

Maybe instead or worse, you should have said more prevalent.