Cruise in 7 days and just informed a reality show is to be filmed on board.

Kabuki12

48 minutes ago, FormerPrincessCrew said:

It’s The Cruise. 80% of filming will be in crew areas, but they do follow the crew into public areas so you could be in the background. As they said above, the focus is on the crew. Unless there happens to be a passenger who has something dramatic happen when embarking (luggage falls into water, passport stolen, etc), they won’t care if you’re there. 

What makes you think it’s the Cruise ?     

50 minutes ago, AlibearNS said:

I'm unhappy too. They must have known this was due to happen and we should have been informed. As it is the UK channel ITV I think it will be The Cruise, so they will be filming all over, following the crew as they do their work and interact with passengers.

I see we can opt out. I wonder if that would mean they would blur our faces.

1 hour ago, Sn0cruiser said:

If it’s an ITV, it could be a new season of The Cruise which spends most of the time behind the scenes - it’s about the crew not the passengers.  You can view that show on YouTube - search for « The Cruise ».  I think, but not sure of this, that the New Love Boat is a US show not an ITV (UK) show.  

It’s not the Cruise.  Wrong production Co….   Title role productions does the cruise.   And this is Monkey Kingdom.   

6 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

It’s not the Cruise.  Wrong production Co….   Title role productions does the cruise.   And this is Monkey Kingdom.   

Just looked up Monkey Kingdom. They do "Made in Chelsea" - ugh. Maybe they are making their version of the new Love Boat dating show? I think what's upsetting me is throwing this at us last minute with no information, and us having to email the production company by Sunday to opt out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlibearNS said:

Just looked up Monkey Kingdom. They do "Made in Chelsea" - ugh. Maybe they are making their version of the new Love Boat dating show? I think what's upsetting me is throwing this at us last minute with no information, and us having to email the production company by Sunday to opt out.

So why not email them and find out what it is and some information.   
that’s the first thing I would have done.    
personally I would enjoy watching or being involved.   But that’s me.   
im on vacation. Why not have some fun with it.    
plus it’s a big ship.  Plenty of places to make sure you avoid the shooting.   

• Like 5

Two thoughts....

1. If you send an opt out email I'm guessing they offer to book you on another sailing - those who don't (i.e everyone who sails) are fair game to be filmed without having signed a release.
  2. Is anyone else fed up with cruise lines waiting until after final payment (or worse until mid-cruise) before announcing changes (e.g. ports, et al), when these changes were known well ahead of time?  It just seems like deceptive marketing.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

So why not email them and find out what it is and some information.   
that’s the first thing I would have done.    
personally I would enjoy watching or being involved.   But that’s me.   
im on vacation. Why not have some fun with it.    
plus it’s a big ship.  Plenty of places to make sure you avoid the shooting.   

I'm on this cruise as well and saw that email this morning.  It actually sounds like it might be kind of interesting and something a little different.  I have the ability to opt out but won't do that.   If I were upset about it, I would simply cancel and take the FCCs through my Princess Vacation Protection.  But, we have always been able to find a place to hide out on a ship ... or we can choose to be in the thick of it.  That's what is so wonderful about cruising .. as much or as little as we choose to do. 

BTW, I thought something was up when they shut down the bookings for about a week or two last month.  I imagined it might have been a large group that was signing up to be onboard.  

• Like 9

I would be annoyed as well if I received such a notification, especially after final payment was due.   This sort of activity is planned months in advance so Princess certainly knew about it.

I would definitely opt out and then see what they offer you in return.  A communication to Princess expressing your displeasure would also seem to be appropriate.  If they get enough people complaining then hopefully they would, at the least, reconsider planning such activities without giving passengers fair notice.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Princessfan20 said:

Are you saying you did not buy Princess Vacation Protection Insurance?

No, I never said that I did not buy insurance.   I have 5 more cruises booked into March on Princess and Celebrity.  There is a good chance that I will not be cruising after that so FCC's would be worthless to me.  And if I can cruise again, I don't want to be forced into having to book a Princess cruise.   

I emailed the production crew.  I am opting out and would like to know what show this is and how much it's going to impact cruisers that want their privacy.  Most of us had a reasonable expectation of the quiet enjoyment of a cruise that we paid good money for or we would not have booked it.  

For the life of me, I don't understand why they chose Princess.  All the cruise ships go to the Mexican Riveria and I would think Royal Caribbean and Carnival Cruise passengers would be more entertaining on television and the ships with the all the bells and whistles would be more exciting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I'm on this cruise as well and saw that email this morning.  It actually sounds like it might be kind of interesting and something a little different.  I have the ability to opt out but won't do that.   If I were upset about it, I would simply cancel and take the FCCs through my Princess Vacation Protection.  But, we have always been able to find a place to hide out on a ship ... or we can choose to be in the thick of it.  That's what is so wonderful about cruising .. as much or as little as we choose to do. 

BTW, I thought something was up when they shut down the bookings for about a week or two last month.  I imagined it might have been a large group that was signing up to be onboard.  

See there’s a good attitude.    Go with the flow.  You’re on vacation.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

I wouldn't be happy. Especially if they had any areas of the ship cordoned off throughout the day for filming. I think all the reality TV is trash and I wouldn't want it affecting my experience

Good thing is there’s plenty of other places on the ship to have great experiences.    

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Two thoughts....

1. If you send an opt out email I'm guessing they offer to book you on another sailing - those who don't (i.e everyone who sails) are fair game to be filmed without having signed a release.

Failure to opt out is NOT the same as signing a release.  Let the production company prove that I saw the email informing me of the filming, and that my failure to opt out was intentional and constituted my agreement.   I am under no obligation to read the email and I am under no obligation to affirmatively opt out.  

I do not know British law on this subject.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Failure to opt out is NOT the same as signing a release.  Let the production company prove that I saw the email informing me of the filming, and that my failure to opt out was intentional and constituted my agreement.   I am under no obligation to read the email and I am under no obligation to affirmatively opt out.  

I don't know any law on this topic😁  nor do I know which country has jurisdiction (maybe none while in international waters?).  I also find it interesting that they don't seem to require releases.  I posted on the roll call asking for info from anyone who sent an email to opt out.  If I get a response, I'll post it here.

(perhaps @chengkp75 can chime in on jurisdiction and filming on cruise ships?)

Edited by mnocket

4 minutes ago, Kabuki12 said:

Being approached by reality stars, film, sound and lighting crews

?? - are they going to come up to you in a bar/pool/mdr - ??  why would they do that?  and yes, we have been on a Princess ship - way pre-covid and OM - when "they" were filming - 

If anyone remembers the early OM promos - there was a girl jumping in the pool... that took at least 50 takes - we were on the deck above the pool area where 'they' were filming.  A couple of times we saw filming - but it was 'roped' off so you couldn't just walk in ..

not an intrusion at all to us - actually kind of interesting since we have a close connection to someone in the film production / tv industry production arena

44 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I had another thought on this.  I actually don't know the legal purpose of releases.  Are they to waive your right to compensation/interest in the production (seems they sometimes pay you $1)  or are they a waiver to your right to privacy (i.e. not being shown on TV)?  In short....  is a release required to use your image or use your image without compensation?

Edited by mnocket

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

I had another thought on this.  I actually don't know the legal purpose of releases.  Are they to waive your right to compensation/interest in the production (seems they sometimes pay you $1)  or are they a waiver to your right to privacy (i.e. not being shown on TV)?  In short....  is a release required to use your image or use your image without compensation?

WIkipedia has a good write up concerning the definition of a release;

Legal release - Wikipedia

I'm sure that "not entitled to compensation" would be a part of the release.  In addition the signee would also have to verbalize that he understood the release for it to be binding.  I'll bet they film that.

The laws governing the right of publicity and privacy are at the state level.  The release form would have to cover multiple jurisdictions.  

Edited by Kabuki12

9 minutes ago, Kabuki12 said:

The laws governing the right of publicity and privacy are at the state level.  The release form would have to cover multiple jurisdictions. 

If State laws apply when in international waters.  I have no idea.  

With all due respect to my fellow passengers, it does sound like there are a lot of assumptions being made that the film crew is going to ruin your cruise and invade your privacy.  Relax and just enjoy your cruise!!!  Stop looking for reasons to hate it or find something to complain about before it even happens.  And please, don't let one mishap or incident increase your ire and anxiety.  I'm not saying that to be mean or a bully or a troll ... learn how to live with appreciation that you are still above ground and on an amazing cruise.  Unless you are running from the law or hiding your spouse, just go with it and have a great cruise!!  Even without a film crew, you are most likely in someone's video or photo when out in public on a cruise.  

Again, nothing personal .. but just be a little more flexible, relax and you will probably have a much better vacation.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

I understand this wouldn't bother some people - but I think we all have to agree it's quite rude, impolite or whatever word you want to use, of Princess to just drop this on a ship load of passengers a week before their sailing.  We have been at resorts where filming was done and it did affect our vacation. 

Venues are crowded enough on the ships without have areas closed.  

I say shame on Princess.

Edited by Dar & Bob
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1