Late Nite Arrival to FCO for NCL Cruise next day

sailforchocolate

After looking through many airfare options, seems like the best choice cost wise and for carry on baggage allowance is to book a flight with BA as per the website, they allow 50lbs carry on vs 8 to 25 lbs on other airlines and surprisingly those had a higher fare. Apparently, the airlines I have cards with don't allow the free baggage perk when flying on a partner airline.  

Will arriving at 10:40 pm on Friday for an NCL cruise on Saturday that leaves at 5 pm be sufficient time wise?

The flight (SFO-LHR-FCO) arrives at FCO at 10:40 pm.  Seems like the hotels that offer shuttles stop at 10:30 pm.  I had started looking for other options, however most of the hotels also stop check in between 11 pm and midnight and I assume that it may take a while to get through the airport process.  The search of websites for transport just to go to a nearby hotel within 4 miles of the airport after hours was going to cost $50 to $75 each way.  Had hoped to find an affordable room for the night (saw lots of airbnb clustered around the train station between $40-$80), but I imagine even if I took the airport bus to the train station, it might be a challenge getting to a room that late at night.  Anyone has a recommendation about it or should I just pay 2 to 3 times as much for convenience to spend night at one of the onsite hotels such as Hilton or HelloSky?

Secondary question, any recommendation on affordable trip insurance as I was told that the NCL insurance only covers the ship and I would like to have insurance for the air as well.

Thank you.

We are flying this route. Would recommend arriving several days earlier, in case there are delays or flight schedule changes. We even decided to move up our flight by one day due to the current airport chaos. Some hotels will permit an early on-line check-in, worth investigating. (hotel recommended). You might also look into a car service, such as Rome Cabs for an airport transfer, the rates are very reasonable There are many options.

BA's luggage allowances are good but carrying on a 50 lb. piece of luggage may be difficult. If a concern are luggage allowances, I might suggest a shipping service: Luggage Forward or Luggage Free. They recommend scheduling shipments to arrive at least 3 days prior to your arrival so you’ll have to pack earlier than you normally would, but the peace of mind was worth it. They track and handle all the customs regulations too. Would also suggest placing Apple Airtags inside checked and carry-ons. We used Luggage Free, our luggage arrived from door to Rome hotel in 5 days and is being stored until our arrival.

If you have an AMEX, investigate them- this is our go to trip insurance option.

You need to look at all of the costs, sometimes getting the cheaper airfare winds up costing you more because of things like hotels and ground transport, as you are discovering.

There are very few hotels that offer airport shuttle service in Italy, that's not a common thing as it is in the States.  Taxis, even for a short distance, will be expensive.

I suspect that the least expensive option will be to take a bus from the airport to central Rome and spend the night there, then the train from Rome to Civitavecchia the next day.  The last train from the airport to Rome is probably too early for you (11:27 PM).

A bus into Rome will cost a fraction of the taxi fare to an airport area hotel.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

The Hilton in the airport is a very nice hotel. Very easy to just walk to it, and a great buffet breakfast.

Worth the price for the convenience when after long flight you just want to shower and sleep for a few hours 

• Like 1

Wow, a lot to unpack in your post...

First, I'd say you're cutting it very close with regard to allowing enough time. One snafu on either flight and you could find yourself not arriving FCO until too light to board your ship -- which is generally about 1 hour or even 90 minutes before the posted departure time.

Civitavecchia (the cruise port) is about an hour from FCO airport and up to 90 minutes from Rome (driving time).  How are you planning to get there the following day?

Re: luggage -- while BA may allow up to 50 pounds, keep in mind they are also generally stricter on adhering to the allowable size of your bag.

I'm not sure how to interpret your comments about hotels and shuttles. A local taxi into the center of Rome is about 50 euros to any point within the old city walls. That's 50 euros whether it's 1, 2, or 3 people (four would be hard to fit in a standard cab, with luggage....)  I can't imagine Rome hotels wouldn't have check-in available in the late evening hours, you'd just have to make sure they are aware of your arrival time.

The airport is also an option, but before you make a choice, I'd sort out how you plan to get to the port.

While we would never plan on arriving that close to a cruise embarkation, what is done is done!  As to what to do, we think the solution is quite simple (and mentioned by CruiserBruce).  Assuming that the OP is mobile, we would suggest booking a room at the FCO Airport Hilton.  It is connected to the terminals via an overhead walkway.  Get a luggage cart and load your luggage. Head to the 2nd floor and follow the signs to the hotel.  Eventually you will find yourself in an overhead covered walkway that will take you to within a few feet of the hotel (there is an elevator to get you down the one level to the ground).  At the end of the walkway you take the elevator down and walk the last few feet to the hotel mail doors!  While some online sites will tell you it is a 5 min walk (from the airport to the hotel) it is somewhat longer, but not difficult if you are just pushing a luggage cart.

In the morning you can take a taxi or pre-book a private transfer to the port.  If you do want to pre-book a private transfer, we recommend Romecabs.com.  The drive from hotel to your pier will be approximately 1 hour (give or take depending on traffic).  

Hank

18 hours ago, sailforchocolate said:

Will arriving at 10:40 pm on Friday for an NCL cruise on Saturday that leaves at 5 pm be sufficient time wise?

The flight (SFO-LHR-FCO) arrives at FCO at 10:40 pm.  Seems like the hotels that offer shuttles stop at 10:30 pm.  I had started looking for other options, however most of the hotels also stop check in between 11 pm and midnight and I assume that it may take a while to get through the airport process.  The search of websites for transport just to go to a nearby hotel within 4 miles of the airport after hours was going to cost $50 to $75 each way.  Had hoped to find an affordable room for the night (saw lots of airbnb clustered around the train station between $40-$80), but I imagine even if I took the airport bus to the train station, it might be a challenge getting to a room that late at night.  Anyone has a recommendation about it or should I just pay 2 to 3 times as much for convenience to spend night at one of the onsite hotels such as Hilton or HelloSky?

You have answered your own question. Think about your flight.  You will be flying in from SFO - that is at least 18 hours on airplanes!  You will be changing planes in LHR Hades - rolling your 50 lb carry-ons from one terminal to another!  You will be dead on your feet when you arrive in Rome.  That's certain.  

You might not clear customs until well after 11 provided your fight is on time.  Public transport might not be available.  Taxis cost more at night.  By the time you add taxi costs to a hotel price, you would be better off staying at the airport Hilton.  Not to mention that if you go to Rome, you would be checking in close to 1 a.m. or later if your flight is delayed. 

As others have mentioned, the airport hotel is the only logical choice at that time of night and after that flight.   You will be able to get to it by simply walking no matter at what time you actually arrive.  And you will get into bed a lot sooner also. 

Give yourself a chance to recover from the trip by booking a late morning transfer.  Rome Cabs also offers the possibility of a sightseeing stop on the way to the port.  That would help you with jetlag. 

romecabs.com

BA do allow up to 23 kg (=51 lbs), but there is a size limit too, which is strictly enforced.  ( I do gasp at some of the 'carry ons' at US airports).

I really doubt you could pack 51 lbs into the specified size.

Up to 56 x 45 x 25cm (22 x 18 x 10in)

Up to 23kg (51lb)

Edited by VMax1700

I would like to thank you all for your suggestions and confirmations about the situation.  After I posted, pretty much decided that I will book the Hilton and stop stressing about finding other accommodation.  I think I might see about stopping at the SFO airport this weekend with my bag to check if it will qualify.  I did use the carry on bag several years ago on a land based trip going through multiple airports in Europe, so am used to carrying it around.  (I don't think I bothered to check the weight at that point since back then baggage was included).  My goal would be to travel as light as possible -- only looking for extra weight flexibility if needed.

llhillman mentioned getting in a day or more ahead.  I'm hoping that all will work out since that will add quite a bit to the cost (airfare will be higher due to Thanksgiving holiday and I would then be paying for two nights hotel instead of one since still would be arriving at 10:40 pm).  

I was planning, as some mentioned to take the bus.  If leaving in the morning after breakfast shouldn't that give enough time to get there since the ship doesn't leave until 5 pm?

From FCO, you want rail (Trenitalia). My last trip, the airplane was on the gate at 13.00, I arrived at the train station at 16.00. From there, there is a port bus, but since you don't know the area, you should allow another hour. For 17.00 sailing, I would plan on checking in around 14.00.

Remember schedules in Europe are shown in 24-hr format.

You need to have a contingency plan based on the next flight LHR-FCO (and hope space is available).

Edited by Dancer Bob

8 hours ago, tony s said:

I live in NYC and I am the king of using bus and public transportation. In this case having done both ways easier and not that more expensive to spring for the car service.

I'll give you easier, it's absolutely easier to use a car service.

But "not that more expensive" is a stretch, given that best case for a car service is 120 euro, while the train is 11 euro.  That's not a small difference.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

You need to have a contingency plan based on the next flight LHR-FCO (and hope space is available).

Does that mean space available on the train the next morning or on the flight itself - LHR-FCO.  If the flight, not sure that would be an issue if already have that flight set up?   Thanks for letting me know that there is a train option to the port.

14 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Yes, but what bus are you thinking of using?

I assume the bus the other folks have mentioned that goes from the airport to the train station and then there is another bus from there to the port?  Or Dancer Bob's suggestion of taking the train.

Ah, okay.  Yes, you take the train to Rome and change there for the train to Civitavecchia (the change is usually at Roma Trastevere station, which has elevators at every track).

Once at Civitavecchia there is a port bus to the Largo della Pace terminal, where you get the free shuttle bus to your ship.  On embarkation days there may be a port bus directly from the train station to the ship (for a small fee).

10 hours ago, sailforchocolate said:

Does that mean space available on the train the next morning or on the flight itself - LHR-FCO.  If the flight, not sure that would be an issue if already have that flight set up?   Thanks for letting me know that there is a train option to the port.

I assume the bus the other folks have mentioned that goes from the airport to the train station and then there is another bus from there to the port?  Or Dancer Bob's suggestion of taking the train.

The flight contingency is what if you miss that flight?  Or the first flight is delayed and you miss the connection and can't get anther one until the next morning?  It happens. That is why it is prudent to give yourself an extra day if at all possible.  Or to have a transfer company info with you so you can try to book a transfer to the port for a late arrival.  Or to plan on taking a taxi directly to the port if you arrive late on embarkation day and were not able  to book a transfer before you landed.  Or to think about how to board the ship on the next port.  

To go to the train station it is best to take a train, not a bus.  Trains also avoid any unexpected road traffic delays.  Trains are frequent, but look for the timetables to give you an idea on the best connection times. Calculate the time that the "two trains and a bus" journey would take and how much it would cost.  Then compare to the one-hour, no-hassle transfer from the airport to the port.  

Edited by marazul

10 hours ago, sailforchocolate said:

Does that mean space available on the train the next morning or on the flight itself - LHR-FCO.  If the flight, not sure that would be an issue if already have that flight set up?

I think what numerous posters are urging you to do is to think carefully through the entire process and realize that you're cutting it short with regard to any travel "blips" that might occur....  For example, have you been paying attention to the chaotic air travel in Europe this summer?  Hundreds of flight delays, canceled flights, lost luggage, etc.

Only a foolish person travels without a Plan B, especially when you have a finite amount of time to get to your ship. 

15 hours ago, marazul said:

That is why it is prudent to give yourself an extra day if at all possible.

ok, (cruisemom42 and marazul) I will consider paying the higher air fare and the hassle of being in the thanksgiving chaos at the airport in order to arrive the day before. I thought going on the 24th would be less stressful and more likely to not have delays since presumably the bulk of people will have already flown to where they were going.

Regarding the baggage part...

On 9/22/2022 at 3:37 PM, VMax1700 said:

but there is a size limit too, which is strictly enforced.

As promised, I did stop by the airport today with my existing "carry on" and the BA agent confirmed what Vmax1700 said.  According to the agent, it was too tall, so I will shop for another bag.  Fortunately, the weight was fine, at 8kg, when I got back realized I forgot to pack pants and a pair of shoes, but even so, I think the weight won't be an issue, since they allow up to 23kg.

Edited by sailforchocolate
add names

16 hours ago, sailforchocolate said:

ok, (cruisemom42 and marazul) I will consider paying the higher air fare and the hassle of being in the thanksgiving chaos at the airport in order to arrive the day before. I thought going on the 24th would be less stressful and more likely to not have delays since presumably the bulk of people will have already flown to where they were going.

Well, look at the bright side.

• Thanksgiving is not celebrated outside the US except by expats, so international flights will not be any more crowded than any other day. Also, the planes fly back and forth between the two destinations so any delays will not be due to domestic US traffic.
  • You are leaving Wednesday night when most of the bulk of Thanksgiving travelers would have already gone through the airport.
  • If your Wednesday flight to Heathrow is canceled, you can go on Thursday. On your original trip, if the Thursday fight is canceled you could miss the cruise.
  • If the Heathrow-Rome flight on Thursday night is canceled or if you miss it, you can get one of many flights on Friday. On your original trip, a Friday night cancelation could get you to Rome on Saturday either too late for the cruise or with not enough time so you have to take a taxi to the port.
  • Flying on Thursday and arriving late on Friday forces you to get an expensive room at the airport Hilton and any delays could force you to pay for a taxi transfer on Saturday. 
  • Flying on Wednesday and arriving on Thursday means that you can stay at a Rome hotel for two nights for less than you would pay at the Hilton.  It also lets you take trains and buses instead of a private transfer.  That's a savings right there.
  • And best of all, you get to spend all day Friday and Saturday morning in Rome.

And that is a good Plan B. 

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, marazul said:

Flying on Wednesday and arriving on Thursday means that you can stay at a Rome hotel for two nights for less than you would pay at the Hilton. 

Even though leaving a day earlier, since the flight times are the same, only the day will be different. I will still probably be spending the first night at the Hilton since flight arriving after 10 pm.  

Good to know that since it is international, should not be impacted by the US based holiday. 

After checking out on Friday morning from Hilton, I assume will be better for the second night (Friday) to locate accommodation close to the port, rather than in Rome.

6 hours ago, sailforchocolate said:

After checking out on Friday morning from Hilton, I assume will be better for the second night (Friday) to locate accommodation close to the port, rather than in Rome.

No, it isn't. 

Look at it this way.  From the airport to the port you have to take a train to Rome and then change to a train to Civitavecchia.  It is best to get out in Rome and get a hotel there.  The next day you will have plenty of time to take a train late morning or early afternoon to the ship.  This lets you spend the day and a morning in Rome where there is plenty to do and see.  There is little of interest in Civitavecchia itself and you have to take pubic transport to go anywhere else, or even to return to Rome for sightseeing.

That question is asked very frequently on this board.  Do a little search in the hotel threads.  

I would only recommend staying in Civi if you had been many, many times to Rome and if you were willing to rent a car to go sightseeing in the area around Civi.

2 hours ago, marazul said:

It is best to get out in Rome and get a hotel there.

Glad I decided to ask.  Thanks for that and letting me know about searching the hotel threads.  

Finally made my flight booking.  In this case internet trouble turned out to be a good thing as last night wasn't able to complete the booking and when I went to book a few minutes ago, the price dropped, so that will help in covering some of the cost of the extra day.

11 minutes ago, sailforchocolate said:

Glad I decided to ask.  Thanks for that and letting me know about searching the hotel threads.  

Finally made my flight booking.  In this case internet trouble turned out to be a good thing as last night wasn't able to complete the booking and when I went to book a few minutes ago, the price dropped, so that will help in covering some of the cost of the extra day.

Yay!

BTW - there are many hotels within walking distance of the train station - at all price points.  It is not "the perfect" location for sightseeing, but all that means is that you may have to walk an extra 5-10 minutes to get to the most popular places.  You are obviously in good shape and don't mind walking (carry-ons through Heathrow!) so that is not a problem for you.

Have a wonderful trip.