Grab and Go breakfast/snacks for port days?

On days we are going into port cities, are there any grab and go options available to take for breakfast or snacks? I have a few ports where we want to get up and out pretty early, and I'm wondering if there are breakfast options we could take with us, such as yogurt or a container of cereal. Same thing with snacks - is there anything we can grab off the ship and take with us if we are getting off early, like 7-8am? Wondering if it would be worth bringing some snacks on board with us to avoid hangry teens on long travel days, or if that's unnecessary. Thanks!

We always take snacks with us - trail mix, granola bars, individual packages of nuts and cookies.  They have come in handy while waiting in the terminal for delayed embarkation, on tour buses, on the beach, in the middle of the night after a light dinner, and in the car during a traffic jam on the way home.  Only pre-packaged food can be taken off the ship in most ports, so it is best to take your own snacks rather than counting on the ship to have anything appropriate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I was on a catamaran excursion and saw a woman whip out a bunch of baggies she filled up with cheese, lunch meat and cookies from WJ for her family.

They do have cartons of cereal and milk and various fruits you could grab and go but no yogurt containers.  

I suspect that it’s not allowed to take any unpackaged food off of the ship.

• Like 3

Currently on Harmony.  Captain Johnny was repeating himself in earnest about not taking the food off the ship...especially fruit.  

The individual ports do not allow it.  The fruit in particular can contain invasive bug eggs...eww...but true.  

DH was munching on a chunk of brownie as we were disembarking in Portland once a long time ago...had maybe a bite left.  Crew member gave him grief about taking that off the ship...so he handed that one bite to him.  😉  

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, CRUISEFOUR said:

On Oasis class ships, we go to Central Park Cafe the day before and grab sandwiches. These sandwiches are sealed in a plastic container. We store them in our room refrigerator until the next day. 

Not only is that prohibited by local ordinance, but - overnight in the "cooler"?  ewwwww

• Like 3

14 hours ago, fishiecrackers said:

On days we are going into port cities, are there any grab and go options available to take for breakfast or snacks? I have a few ports where we want to get up and out pretty early, and I'm wondering if there are breakfast options we could take with us, such as yogurt or a container of cereal. Same thing with snacks - is there anything we can grab off the ship and take with us if we are getting off early, like 7-8am? Wondering if it would be worth bringing some snacks on board with us to avoid hangry teens on long travel days, or if that's unnecessary. Thanks!

You have the best screen name for this topic!

10 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I was on a catamaran excursion and saw a woman whip out a bunch of baggies she filled up with cheese, lunch meat and cookies from WJ for her family.

They do have cartons of cereal and milk and various fruits you could grab and go but no yogurt containers.  

Mayhap it varies from ship to ship (or even sailing to sailing).  I've seen cartons of cereal in the past, but on our recent cruise they had cereal in a large "serve yourself" container.  They DID have individual yogurts and individual milks.  

Personally, we eat a big breakfast before going ashore, and we bring a few snacks in case of low blood sugar.  (This last trip we brought a plastic jar of peanuts.)  And we're always back on the ship for a late lunch.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

Thanks, everyone, for making this so much clearer for me! It’s really only Santorini I’m worried about getting off the boat at the crack of dawn, so I’m general I will make sure we get a breakfast before we go, and pack some trail mix, granola bars, Clif bars, fishie crackers (haha) and such for port day snacks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Not only is that prohibited by local ordinance, but - overnight in the "cooler"?  ewwwww

2 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

What do you then keep in your fridge?  Just curious.

I believe MerionMom was referring to temperatures for the in room "cooler".  It is not a fridge, it is really only designed to keep drinks cool.  One youtube video showed a ship has a sign pasted on the in room cooler, that it can only chill into the 50's fahrenheit.  That could lead to tummy discomfort 😬

EDIT:  Here is the video, Navigator of the Seas

image.thumb.png.9a5a140ff07f5bc62352c4dd38f949b2.png

Edited by mpk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

What do you then keep in your fridge?  Just curious.

I can't speak for the person you responded to, but I keep sealed drinks and maybe wine in the fridge.  Not terribly cold, but cold enough.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, island lady said:

Currently on Harmony.  Captain Johnny was repeating himself in earnest about not taking the food off the ship...especially fruit.  

The individual ports do not allow it.  The fruit in particular can contain invasive bug eggs...eww...but true.  

DH was munching on a chunk of brownie as we were disembarking in Portland once a long time ago...had maybe a bite left.  Crew member gave him grief about taking that off the ship...so he handed that one bite to him.  😉  

Does Cozumel still have those food Inspector?Dogs?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

Does Cozumel still have those food Inspector?Dogs?

Don’t remember if it was Cozumel or Costa Maya, but at least 1 of them did last week.  Every backpack or bag had to be held in front of it for a check as you headed down the pier

Edited by Jkaczanowski
  • Like 1