Sunset Veranda on Beyond Deck 7 or 11

Seadog84

13 hours ago, vwlmember said:

We were in SV 8336 on the Beyond for the president's cruise last week. We loved the room and the view, but there was significant noise from the mooring lines early in the morning when you docked and again in the afternoon when you undocked. There was also quite a bit of soot on the balcony when the plume from the stacks were blowing straight backwards. 

To us these were minor issues compared to the pluses we experienced. Would definitely reserve on again.

Oh good to know! Funny I had actually put 8336 on my planners list to keep an eye out for (if by some lucky chance it became available). That seems like a really nice one in the center right? I would love to have that one. A “pro” of deck 7 is that the full covering would probably protect against the soot but I also suspect you trade off the star gazing and 180 degree views from laying down (you could just walk out to the balcony railing and see all that though). As well the “noise from Eden” seems to be debatable. So I’m definitely taking a chance on the oddball deck 7 cabin but I’m curious about it and [provided I don’t move again] I will report back…

By the way, anytime our veranda got soot in the SV, we'd ask our cabin attendant if they could clean it and it always was.  We don't spend hours in our cabin so this was a minor item for us.  I much prefer the real balcony than the IVs.  I should have mentioned asking for the veranda to be cleaned in my previous post.  I do think the soot is more accentuated the higher you go.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seadog84 said:

Oh good to know! Funny I had actually put 8336 on my planners list to keep an eye out for (if by some lucky chance it became available). That seems like a really nice one in the center right? I would love to have that one. A “pro” of deck 7 is that the full covering would probably protect against the soot but I also suspect you trade off the star gazing and 180 degree views from laying down (you could just walk out to the balcony railing and see all that though). As well the “noise from Eden” seems to be debatable. So I’m definitely taking a chance on the oddball deck 7 cabin but I’m curious about it and [provided I don’t move again] I will report back…

8336 looks nice..  aft noise inevitable in ports but fun to watch them hook  up lines...

Hopefully they can correct soot.. it is very oily.  We had a blow back of soot on another ship..aft bar.  Major mess...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Seadog84 said:

It was center right if you are looking at the back of the ship. I cleaned off the furniture when we wanted to use it. I didn't mind doing it as our room steward Jonel was very attentive and took care of a mattress firmness issue quickly which helped me really enjoy the cruise. Touring ports with back pain sucks and I had none after the first night.

Room was excellent, I would definitely book it again. The mooring rope noise is actually cool for me as I knew exactly when we were in port. We never heard anything from Eden at all. Interesting that they paint the floors of the SV cabin balconies with a speckled paint pattern.....:classic_rolleyes:.

Edited by vwlmember
I can't spell
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Host Anne said:

By the way, anytime our veranda got soot in the SV, we'd ask our cabin attendant if they could clean it and it always was.  We don't spend hours in our cabin so this was a minor item for us.  I much prefer the real balcony than the IVs.  I should have mentioned asking for the veranda to be cleaned in my previous post.  I do think the soot is more accentuated the higher you go.

Thank you this is very helpful to know. My husband was wondering about whether they would clean the soot if asked. Also I agree about the IV's. I prefer a traditional balcony where I can go outside. I wouldn't say I am prone to sea sickness but if I feel the motion getting to me a little, going outside always solves the problem. This has been true for me for both on mid-ship and forward facing balconies. So an IV, even midship, I wouldn't personally want to chance it. I'd rather have the option to truly go outside. I ended up taking a chance on Deck 7 because it looked like it could have a little bit more usable space since the railing isn't slanted (of course that could be an optical illusion lol). It was the same shape balcony I had on deck 11 just lower and the opposite side of the ship. I can post a video of that cabin as well if anyone wants to compare it to the deck 7 cabin video I posted earlier. All that being said though, if a center balcony on deck 8 opened up, I would probably totally take that one for the "openness" of it and the fact that it's not directly above Eden. I wish someone who has actually stayed on a deck 7 sunset veranda on beyond could give us some insight as to how they liked it but for now we make do! 🙂

• 1 year later...
On 9/23/2022 at 8:08 PM, Seadog84 said:

Hi,

Im planning my first celebrity cruise and I have a sunset veranda on the beyond booked already (deck 11) but another opened up on deck 7. I’m not sure if I should switch. Looking at pictures of the aft on beyond, deck 7 appears to be fully covered/ enclosed whereas all other decks above are more open. Has anyone stayed in both that could give any advice or comparison? I was thinking 7 might have more usable space on the balcony because the railing isn’t slanted. But I don’t want to feel like I’m in an infinite veranda. Also worried maybe the cabin/ balcony on deck 7 won’t get any sun? Any advice is much appreciated. 

8FFD25F3-40B1-4FF7-85C1-E1C066430E00.thumb.jpeg.5343bea6a08ba4e4645abfe01d588ba3.jpeg

Hi! Was is this January that you went? If so how was the deck 7 SV? We’ve booked for the Ascent after staying in deck 7 on the Edge and only just realised it’s slightly different! 

On 9/23/2022 at 5:58 PM, Straughn said:

I have been in a SV, on deck 7, but on the Edge. Since they are sister ships, I would guess the deck layout is the same. I would say that approx. half of the balcony is covered and half is open. Unless you stand at the rail, no one can see you. I had minimal issues with soot, but I did have my steward leave a beach towel so I could cover the chairs when seated.  I was in one of the two center cabins and the balcony was huge! 

we also had a middle SV on EDGE. We enjoyed it..very large balc...great aft views.  No soot issues  but noisy party neighbors.

Inside,  few nights we heard music in the hallway to bathrm.( Eden?) .nothing terrible.

I,d pick deck 7

We have been on both decks 8&11 on the Beyond. Loved them both.  Since it was so hot in the Med in July we really didn’t get much use out of it.  We did get more use out of it May in the Med. I don’t think you can go wrong in either one. 

truthfully,  we enjoyed the Sunset Veranda in the am for great sunrises,. when  entering and leaving ports , and  for skygazing at night. 

We did not sit out much. It was often very sunny,  plus the noisy party guys next door usually had a big group outside 24/7.

IV  area is more confined but quiet..

I wouldn't pick deck 11.  The rule for the best experience is cabins above and below.  If deck 11 has a public space above it- you could be disturbed by noise .  Can happen in the middle of the night as those spaces might be getting cleaned.  We once had a horrible experience on a ship with a cabin below the pool deck.  In the middle of the night they were using a jackhammer to fix something.  Took over one hour.  We did complain and the ship gave us some perks.  We were in a suite.

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I wouldn't pick deck 11.  The rule for the best experience is cabins above and below.  If deck 11 has a public space above it- you could be disturbed by noise .  Can happen in the middle of the night as those spaces might be getting cleaned.  We once had a horrible experience on a ship with a cabin below the pool deck.  In the middle of the night they were using a jackhammer to fix something.  Took over one hour.  We did complain and the ship gave us some perks.  We were in a suite.

On E-class deck 12 is the last full deck with cabins, I was in 11272 on Apex and had zero noise issues.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I was in the center SV on the Beyond on deck 10, and loves it. Two lounges, two chairs, and a small table.

Great to hear. That’s where we are in January. Hoping they still let you have the loungers! 

So interesting that this topic came up again after a year. I currently have 11270 on Apex on hold. I'll probably bite the bullet and book.

Question: Is there privacy on the balcony from above? Sometimes I like to step outside in my birthday suit.🤪

1 minute ago, Giraffes said:

So interesting that this topic came up again after a year. I currently have 11270 on Apex on hold. I'll probably bite the bullet and book.

Question: Is there privacy on the balcony from above? Sometimes I like to step outside in my birthday suit.🤪

Unless they are "peeping Tom's" you will be fine. 😉

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2022 at 10:57 PM, wineoclock said:

PH on M class are aft. We loved our experience on Constellation & a lot to do with it was the fabulous aft balcony. I don’t remember any soot issues. 

We had an upper deck corner aft sky suite I did see some soot on huge balcony, but we didn’t spend much time there since we loved the outdoor retreat . I know on M class there on a lower deck #6.

• Like 1

Hi all,

We ended up staying in SV - 8336 (Sunset Veranda Stateroom). It came available at the last minute and it was one that I asked the vacation planner to keep an eye out for. So unfortunately I can’t report on deck 7. We loved the balcony on deck 8. My only issue was this loud slamming noise every night around 2 am. I have no idea what it was. It sounded to me though like someone left their sliding door open and as the ship rocked it would slam shut. I would guess it was probably a “one off” situation. Annoying but we made do. I will attach a short video clip of this balcony for reference. You can at least see the stretch of overhang above.  

16 hours ago, Seadog84 said:

Hi all,

We ended up staying in SV - 8336 (Sunset Veranda Stateroom). It came available at the last minute and it was one that I asked the vacation planner to keep an eye out for. So unfortunately I can’t report on deck 7. We loved the balcony on deck 8. My only issue was this loud slamming noise every night around 2 am. I have no idea what it was. It sounded to me though like someone left their sliding door open and as the ship rocked it would slam shut. I would guess it was probably a “one off” situation. Annoying but we made do. I will attach a short video clip of this balcony for reference. You can at least see the stretch of overhang above.  

IMG_1685.mov

We booked 8336 again for our Panama Canal Cruise next December. Can't wait to get back on the Beyond.

• Like 1