Where are we going

Kiwiangel

54 minutes ago, Kiwiangel said:

OK so husband and I are booked on 4 b2b cruises starting on Nov 1st out of Brisbane on RCL headed for Vanuatu but have heard lots of rumors that Vanuatu isn't open to us so where are we going.....

I believe Royal Caribbean are sending a senior team to Vanuatu with in a few weeks to assess the coming season. I don’t think you will have a concern,Vanuatu is open to cruise ships.

I believe they are going to vila,mystery island and possibly Lelepa.

27 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I believe Royal Caribbean are sending a senior team to Vanuatu with in a few weeks to assess the coming season. I don’t think you will have a concern,Vanuatu is open to cruise ships.

I believe they are going to vila,mystery island and possibly Lelepa.

Maybe, maybe not. The Vanuatu government has announced that the first ship into their country will be P&O on 9th November. P&O have had a very long-standing close relationship with the Vanuatu government so it is logical that they would want P&O to be the first ship. It is possible the authorities could change their minds but I wouldn't count on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kiwiangel said:

OK so husband and I are booked on 4 b2b cruises starting on Nov 1st out of Brisbane on RCL headed for Vanuatu but have heard lots of rumors that Vanuatu isn't open to us so where are we going.....

There is no rumour. Vanuatu officially opens to cruising on 1st December,

P&O has secured 2 x trial visits in November to assess how the protocols work. As mentioned Royal are currently discussing the requirements with Vanuatu officials, but I see it as highly unlikely that they will have a ship in before P&Os first call on 9th November, P&O has decades of goodwill there, assisting to build tender wharves, offering disaster assistance following cyclones, and most importantly they employ Vanuatu crew on their ships.

So where are you going? In lieu of Port Vila and Mystery Island, I think Isle of Pines and Lifou are a definite possibility.

For now, Royal hasn't decided, and may be holding on to hope of gaining permission to call in Vila, so for now, it is still up in the air and open to negotiation.

35 minutes ago, arxcards said:

So where are you going? In lieu of Port Vila and Mystery Island, I think Isle of Pines and Lifou are a definite possibility.

From what I worked out the op is on Quantum.

I don’t think a quantum class can go to Isle of pines,Lifou and Mare.

There was a unconfined rumour that the larger ships have been banned .

Royal Caribbean is supposed to be spending a couple hundred million on Lelepa, let’s see how big Michael Bayley’s check book is in the next couple of weeks.

Plus we might even get a nice photo of him and the prime minister.

If I’m wrong (it wouldn’t be the first time) Queensland coast should be nice for the OP.

I feel that there is another point to consider. P&O has been operating cruises out of Sydney and Brisbane for many months and have proven how they can handle the issue of COVID. RCI is yet to bring a ship to Australia. They don't have a proven track record for handling COVID in Australia. The Vanuatu government will be watching this.

However, I feel the main point is the previous announcement by the Vanuatu government - that P&O will be the first ship into their waters on 9th November.

Maybe the OP should get prepared for a cruise along the Queensland coast.🙂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I feel that there is another point to consider. P&O has been operating cruises out of Sydney and Brisbane for many months and have proven how they can handle the issue of COVID. RCI is yet to bring a ship to Australia. They don't have a proven track record for handling COVID in Australia. The Vanuatu government will be watching this.

However, I feel the main point is the previous announcement by the Vanuatu government - that P&O will be the first ship into their waters on 9th November.

Maybe the OP should get prepared for a cruise along the Queensland coast.🙂

Queensland will be nice that time of year but then it’s always nice. At least they won’t have to change some money.

Royal has been operating Spectrum out of Singapore all the way through the pandemic . They have a pretty good record.

5 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

From what I worked out the op is on Quantum.

I don’t think a quantum class can go to Isle of pines,Lifou and Mare.

There was a unconfined rumour that the larger ships have been banned .

Royal Caribbean is supposed to be spending a couple hundred million on Lelepa, let’s see how big Michael Bayley’s check book is in the next couple of weeks.

Plus we might even get a nice photo of him and the prime minister.

If I’m wrong (it wouldn’t be the first time) Queensland coast should be nice for the OP.

I guess it depends on how much of the couple of hundred million has been spent to date. Yes, money talks in Vanuatu, but idle promises do not.

Depends where they draw the line at large ships for Isle of Pines. OK for Majestic Princess and others a bit smaller to call there this summer. There is no ban AFAIK, but an issue with logistics of tendering xxx passengers a couple of km's. Royal has no scheduled visits there this coming season, so curious why their AU/NZ social media page recently posted a picture of IOP.

Lifou does have a restriction. I am not aware of it being a size restriction, but they have capped the frequency of visits. Before the lockdown, there were times when they were getting 4 ships per week.

Mare is currently out of action altogether for another couple of months, I believe due to damaged infrastructure. 

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Some of the Pacific Island Governments are corrupt, it is fact and it is written. No doubt wheeling and dealing going on between the cruise lines and govt officials. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Eddie could strike a deal .

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, willsaway said:

Another Batemans Bayite like myself.😁

17 hours ago, willsaway said:

A rabbit out of their hat, and a hare out of their ....

You will get more than a cruise to nowhere. I bet everyone would much prefer an overnight in Noumea 😉

• 2 weeks later...

26 days out still no word from Royal pretty poor of them really, never mind the drinks packages being 4 times they where.... it's the journey but would be nice to have some communication from them or is this a repeat performance of Feb 2022 and won't tell us anything until we due to sail out of Numea?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, surferman123 said:

26 days out still no word from Royal pretty poor of them really, never mind the drinks packages being 4 times they where.... it's the journey but would be nice to have some communication from them or is this a repeat performance of Feb 2022 and won't tell us anything until we due to sail out of Numea?

You can only hope they are hoping to keep to the original itinerary via a successful negotiation to get a couple of trial cruises before the opening.

Alas, I am not that optimistic, but they must at least be holding on to some hope to have not announced anything different yet.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 12:39 PM, NSWP said:

Some of the Pacific Island Governments are corrupt, it is fact and it is written. No doubt wheeling and dealing going on between the cruise lines and govt officials. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I hope that is not true in the South Pacific.

When our ship got back to Ushuaia, Argentina from Antarctica, our ship couldn't get permission to disembark.  Passengers were due to board a charter plane back to Buenos Aires.  I heard the Captain say did you give them a bottle of something?.  They replied yes,  Then they got a tradesman, up from the bowels of the ship, who spoke the language.  Problem solved and we disembarked. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

When our ship got back to Ushuaia, Argentina from Antarctica, our ship couldn't get permission to disembark.  Passengers were due to board a charter plane back to Buenos Aires.  I heard the Captain say did you give them a bottle of something?.  They replied yes,  Then they got a tradesman, up from the bowels of the ship, who spoke the language.  Problem solved and we disembarked. 

Can you believe our Australian Labor Government is paying the cost of the Solomon Island elections? What a joke.  I don't call it 'Foreign Aid' it is bribery and corruption, like keep China out of the Solomons. Some of these  Pacific Islands think Australia is a bottomless barrel of $$$$$.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Can you believe our Australian Labor Government is paying the cost of the Solomon Island elections? What a joke.  Some of these  Pacific Islands think Australia is a bottomless barrel of $$$$$.

Unfortunately Solomon Island has always had problems within themselves.  Maybe Australia is just trying to help them so China doesn't. 

It is such a pity as Solomon Islands could be a great place for Australian tourists to visit. 

• Like 2

Just now, NSWP said:

Can you believe our Australian Labor Government is paying the cost of the Solomon Island elections? What a joke.  Some of these  Pacific Islands think Australia is a bottomless barrel of $$$$$.

So, we let China become their sugar daddy instead? They would fund some really open & fair elections

I think it is a bit late anyway, as Chinese belt & road money is all through the Pacific.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Corruption is everywhere, even the South Pacific.

• Like 1

Looks like its all systems go. The Pacific Tourism Association announced today the Vanuatu government welcomed back Royal Caribbean with its first cruise at Mystery Island, 12 November on Ovation, with further sailings thru the month with Ovation and Quantum.  So great news.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, willsaway said:

Looks like its all systems go. The Pacific Tourism Association announced today the Vanuatu government welcomed back Royal Caribbean with its first cruise at Mystery Island, 12 November on Ovation, with further sailings thru the month with Ovation and Quantum.  So great news.

Except for the OP (and others on the 1st November cruise), who miss Vanuatu and get a double stop in Noumea.