Driver's license requirement

travelfool123

Does anyone know of the new rule that goes into effect (I believe in May 2023) about something that has to be on your driver's license if flying domestically.  I don't believe that applies to international (even though you will be connecting on a domestic flight).  I sent the NCDOT and email but never got a response.  This is for a Europe cruise in October 2023.  Thanks

17 minutes ago, travelfool123 said:

Does anyone know of the new rule that goes into effect (I believe in May 2023) about something that has to be on your driver's license if flying domestically.  I don't believe that applies to international (even though you will be connecting on a domestic flight).  I sent the NCDOT and email but never got a response.  This is for a Europe cruise in October 2023.  Thanks

You can use your passport to fly

• Like 1

As others have said, you need a passport to fly/travel internationally, and this can be used for check in both with the airline and TSA.  You won't need the Real ID driver's license.  Both the passport and the Real ID license establish citizenship, so either is acceptable for check in on your originating domestic flight.  Real ID is optional for North Carolina, it costs more, and you need to provide documentation of both residency and citizenship to get it.  The Real ID driver's license has a "star" in the corner.

And, even for strictly domestic flights, since you have a passport, that is fine for those flights as well.  Real ID is only required for those who don't have a passport.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 4

I renewed my driver's license last month and the clerk asked if i wanted the real id. I said sure and they replied i had to have my raised stamp birth certificate and bills in my name at my address. 

When i asked if i could bring in my passport the clerk said don't bother getting the real id unless you really want to because the passport is a duplicate id and even better in many ways.

51 minutes ago, CruiseScrooge said:

When i asked if i could bring in my passport the clerk said don't bother getting the real id unless you really want to because the passport is a duplicate id and even better in many ways.

Except that I don't like to carry around my passport any more than I have to, and I don't have to remember to bring my driver's license when I travel because it is always in my wallet.

• Thanks 1

This is the long-delayed and often-postponed RealID requirement. The good part is that if you don't have a RealID-compliant drivers license, a US Passport Book or a US Passport Card works as a good substitute. (Note that US Passport Cards are NOT valid for international air travel, only domestic). Note that you can use your US Passport when applying for a RealID Drivers License. 

No, TSA Pre-Check isn't included as part of RealID. 

Edited by Z'Loth

11 minutes ago, Z'Loth said:

This is the long-delayed and often-postponed RealID requirement. The good part is that if you don't have a RealID-compliant drivers license, a US Passport Book or a US Passport Card works as a good substitute. (Note that US Passport Cards are NOT valid for international air travel, only domestic). Note that you can use your US Passport when applying for a RealID Drivers License. 

No, TSA Pre-Check isn't included as part of RealID. 

When I got my Real ID having my current Drivers License and a current/non expired passport was not good enough.  There are a certain number of "points" needed to prove who you are and that you live in the state.  To prove my state residence I needed another bill with my home address... two problems with this... 1. most bills are in my wife's name and 2. with electronic billing there is no paper bill to provide.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 1:38 PM, zdcatc12 said:

Yeah, but there is always a PDF copy that you can print out.

I am not even sure a PDF would have counted as they want the "original".  I managed to get what I needed but you would think a current non-expired passport and current non-expired license would be good enough to prove who you are, you are a citizen, and a resident of the state.  I know these requirements are based on guidance by the federal gov't but, to me, it seemed excessive.

As far as I can determine from the Texas Department of Public Safety, the "Proof Of United States Citizenship or Lawful Presence" and "Proof of Identity" must be original documents or certified copies, and a US Passport Book or Card satisfies both requirements. There is also a batch of alternative documents including birth certificate, naturalization papers, and so on. The "Proof of Residency" and "Vehicle Registration and Proof of Insurance" do not have the same requirement, therefore a PDF printout is OK. When I applied for my Texas Driver's License in early 2019, I had PDFs of my insurance statement with my Texas address which was acceptable proof of my residency. 

I'm not able to see that same list of documents as a download on the state of New York's site, just a online questionnaire based upon if you want a standard, RealID, or Enhanced IDs. 

On 9/25/2022 at 7:28 PM, CruiseScrooge said:

I renewed my driver's license last month and the clerk asked if i wanted the real id. I said sure and they replied i had to have my raised stamp birth certificate and bills in my name at my address. 

The issue is that if you are simply flying domestically, most folks do not normally carry their Passport.  After the rules change in 2023 (unless Congress extends the deadline) you would need a Real ID to simply fly anywhere.  A regular Drivers License would no longer be acceptable.  There are other forms of acceptable picture ID, for domestic flights, such as a Global Entry ID card.

Hank