Canada Drops All Covid Restrictions October 1, 2022

Lady Arwen

Breaking news as of 10 am est.  Canada has lifted all restrictions for people entering Canada.  No tests or proof of vaccinations required for those arriving by air, train, land or cruiseship.  Masks on planes and trains are now only recommended.  Effective October 1, 2023.  Check the Canadian government website for further details.  This is great news for everyone travelling into Canada!  ArriveCAN app is now only by choice.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Hoping you meant 2022

Senior moment! My brain said 2022 and my fingers typed 2023……sorry!  My title did read correctly, thank goodness!

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 3

And it's not just border restrictions being lifted.  As part of the same announcement, the government of Canada also announced that pre-boarding Covid testing will no longer be required for passengers on cruise ships operating in Canada.  

Official news release here

From the release: "Cruise measures are also being lifted, and travellers will no longer be required to have pre-board tests, be vaccinated, or use ArriveCAN. "

Edited by westcoaster
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Breaking news as of 10 am est.  Canada has lifted all restrictions for people entering Canada.  No tests or proof of vaccinations required for those arriving by air, train, land or cruiseship.  Masks on planes and trains are now only recommended.  Effective October 1, 2023.  Check the Canadian government website for further details.  This is great news for everyone travelling into Canada!  ArriveCAN app is now only by choice.

A year from now is still a long time to wait 😉

Edited by thermal
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, southpawsdakota said:

Wonderful news. Now hopefully Princess will follow suit on ALL cruises, even Enhanced Cruises.

Looks like they have for Canada cruises effective 10/1/22, but they are in the process of making updates and notifications.

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2022/09/princess-cruises-ready-to-welcome-all-guests-with-transport-canadas-removal-of-all-covid-19-vaccination-requirement-to-enter-country.html

Edited by Jersey42
  • Like 2

Today's announcement by Princess is more of an "aren't we incredible while we take you to incredible places" statement. 

The fact that they may or may not require pre-boarding testing for sailings departing Canada is barely addressed. The implication is that testing may no longer be required but it's certainly not stated as fact. 

We will be watching for a definitive statement from Princess.  

49 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Today's announcement by Princess is more of an "aren't we incredible while we take you to incredible places" statement. 

The fact that they may or may not require pre-boarding testing for sailings departing Canada is barely addressed. The implication is that testing may no longer be required but it's certainly not stated as fact. 

You sound rather skeptical. I view it as great news since we sail on October 1st - this Saturday.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Purple Gallinule said:

You sound rather skeptical. I view it as great news since we sail on October 1st - this Saturday.

I'm excited about the announcement from the Government of Canada and hopeful, not skeptical, that Princess will follow suit. 

My point is that the initial announcement from Princess was less that confidence inspiring. 

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

They were quick to drop the requirement for other places when they no longer required them...I'm more than hopeful they'll follow suit with Canada, too. Why wouldn't they? What would be the motivation there?

I'm vaxed (with the bivalent booster!) and I have natural antibodies so I'm really just hoping I'm good to go. I hate the anxiety around staying healthy for the pre-cruise testing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bassmk said:

They were quick to drop the requirement for other places when they no longer required them...I'm more than hopeful they'll follow suit with Canada, too. Why wouldn't they? What would be the motivation there?

I'm vaxed (with the bivalent booster!) and I have natural antibodies so I'm really just hoping I'm good to go. I hate the anxiety around staying healthy for the pre-cruise testing.

Yes! It is the anxiety about staying healthy for pre-cruise testing that concerns me. Or one of us testing positive at the pier without knowing we even had it and being denied boarding.