Unpopular Opinion: Formal Night Lobster Isn't That Good

workfromship

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I have toyed with the idea of getting the steak and lobster from the steakhouse from the MDR menu but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet (and that might be a bigger lobster, possibly even from Maine, but it is still a frozen lobster).

I keep telling myself this, but have yet to do it. Perhaps with this new terrible, grisly cut, they will have forced my hand. 

11 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Exactly this. I grew up eating fresh Maine lobster and I've never met it's equal. Frozen lobster can be ok if it is cooked right, but that is the trick. My first experience with frozen lobster was in the Navy and they didn't cook it right. The last few cruises they've done a decent job with it and I found it edible. I have toyed with the idea of getting the steak and lobster from the steakhouse from the MDR menu but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet (and that might be a bigger lobster, possibly even from Maine, but it is still a frozen lobster).

It first has to be frozen correctly or cooking isn't going to fix

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Flash freezing certainly makes a difference as far a freezer burn and freezer life longevity but I highly doubt the majority of folks are eating fresh lobsters anyway. Even the ones from Maine are frozen and they are much higher prices than the smaller ones that are usually available and on sale (typically $5 ea) around various holidays. Those are the ones I'm used to eating anyway, I can drop a Benjamin and broil up 20 and throw down many times in a year. The availability is simply greater and the price point much lower so that is mostly what I eat. Even the ones not cooked perfect on the ship can just be dipped in butter and still tastes fine, though I prefer only lemon for the well cooked ones. I just don't see what the big fuss is about.    

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Even the ones from Maine are frozen and they are much higher prices than the smaller ones that are usually available and on sale (typically $5 ea) around various holidays.

I have never had a frozen lobster in Maine in my life.  And, most of the ones sent to restaurants around the country are shipped live, its a common, and large business here.  And, here I can get a 1-1/4 lb lobster for $10.  You obviously have not had a live steamed lobster, or you wouldn't think the ones on the ship are even "okay".  I do have to admit that "Red Lobster" tried to open a place here in South Portland, which only lasted about a year, because even here they were shipping in frozen lobsters from central distribution points in the Midwest.

I just looked, and Larocca Seafood in San Francisco has live Maine lobsters, 1-1/4 lb for $13.57.  And, your $5 tails are most likely about $10/lb anyway, since most rock lobster tails are about 8 oz.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I have never had a frozen lobster in Maine in my life.  And, most of the ones sent to restaurants around the country are shipped live, its a common, and large business here.  And, here I can get a 1-1/4 lb lobster for $10.  You obviously have not had a live steamed lobster, or you wouldn't think the ones on the ship are even "okay".  I do have to admit that "Red Lobster" tried to open a place here in South Portland, which only lasted about a year, because even here they were shipping in frozen lobsters from central distribution points in the Midwest.

Yeah, well, living in Maine has it's benefits obviously lol. I have had live steamed lobster. I can get rib eye steaks for $5 lb, large avocados for $1 or less, dirt cheap veggies, cheap booze/pot, etc. Location matters, I'm sure you weren't getting those lobsters while you spent all the time onboard ships. I'm good with red lobster (all the locations here have tanks of live lobsters you can pick from by the way, for an up charge of course), great food IMO, even the non live lobsters. I'm good with the frozen lobsters on the cruises, I eat them when on sale by the plateful anyway and it is what it is. If I ever make it to Maine, I'll be sure to eat as many $10 1-1/4 lb lobsters as I can, until then, I'll keep enjoying what's available and affordable.     

• Haha 2

See the notes I added to my post regarding live lobster pricing in the Bay area.  And, no, I didn't get live lobsters while on ships, but then again, I never ate them after the first couple were found to be dry and tough.  Probably 3-4 in 40 years.  Heck, I even found live lobsters for sale in Chicago for about $10-12/lb.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

See the notes I added to my post regarding live lobster pricing in the Bay area.  And, no, I didn't get live lobsters while on ships, but then again, I never ate them after the first couple were found to be dry and tough.  Probably 3-4 in 40 years.  Heck, I even found live lobsters for sale in Chicago for about $10-12/lb.

I can get them at K&C seafood or most any Ranch market 99 store in the south bay, in fact I have, many times (paid as low as $7.99 lb in fact), still doesn't mean I can't enjoy the frozen tails. I like nearly all seafood in general. 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

The best lobster I ever had was at my rehearsal dinner.  We were at my in-law's backyard yard looking over Long Island Sound.  A boil was set up and lobster, corn, potatoes were made to perfection!  I was trying to fit into a big, white dress so I only had one.  It was sooo good!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Yep, we found that out processing our own meat chickens this year. How any animal is handled from the time it is harvested until it is frozen is going to affect the final quality.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Yeah, well, living in Maine has it's benefits obviously lol. I have had live steamed lobster. I can get rib eye steaks for $5 lb, large avocados for $1 or less, dirt cheap veggies, cheap booze/pot, etc. Location matters, I'm sure you weren't getting those lobsters while you spent all the time onboard ships. I'm good with red lobster (all the locations here have tanks of live lobsters you can pick from by the way, for an up charge of course), great food IMO, even the non live lobsters. I'm good with the frozen lobsters on the cruises, I eat them when on sale by the plateful anyway and it is what it is. If I ever make it to Maine, I'll be sure to eat as many $10 1-1/4 lb lobsters as I can, until then, I'll keep enjoying what's available and affordable.     

I also love seafood (so of course I marry someone who is allergic) and I will eat frozen lobster when I have to. Heck, the 3 oz tail isn't that big that I can't finish it even if I don't like it. Lately the lobster on Carnival has been all right. Certainly not in the same ballpark as a fresh Maine lobster, but still edible. But there are certainly enough options on the menu (note to self- try the sea bass next time).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I also love seafood (so of course I marry someone who is allergic) and I will eat frozen lobster when I have to. Heck, the 3 oz tail isn't that big that I can't finish it even if I don't like it. Lately the lobster on Carnival has been all right. Certainly not in the same ballpark as a fresh Maine lobster, but still edible. But there are certainly enough options on the menu (note to self- try the sea bass next time).

Exactly, my favorite shrimp is wild Mexican blue shrimp (Litopenaeus Stylirostris), but I'll also eat any other shrimp also lol, even the farm raised variety with some cocktail sauce. It's like anything in life, the best is nice to have, but appreciating lower tired things isn't bad either (wine, chocolate, meat etc etc), it's all relative, just give me the seafood and I'll be glad to eat it. 😁   

• Like 4

On 9/27/2022 at 12:21 PM, ShakyBeef said:

The problem with the rock lobster / spiny lobster / warm water lobster on the cruise ships is that it is frozen, not fresh (and rather puny).  If you've only ever had it on a cruise ship and think you don't like this type of lobster, do yourself a favour - the next time you're in the Bahamas, go to a local restaurant and get it fresh.  Or better yet, go on an excursion and spear your own and have it fresh-cooked.  It's a completely different taste experience - so good!😋  Admittedly, it is still different in sweetness and texture from Maine lobster, but very, very good!

Caribbean lobsters have the texture of chicken, and they're not nearly as sweet as rock lobsters.  And for all the fuss about rock lobster, they're the most common type of lobster found at your local supermarket or restaurant.  Maine lobsters are available too, but in less quantity and generally at a much higher price point.  I recall when langostino lobsters (which aren't really lobsters) were on the menu circa mid-2000s, but today they cost more than rock lobsters, so they disappeared...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

Caribbean lobsters have the texture of chicken, and they're not nearly as sweet as rock lobsters.  And for all the fuss about rock lobster, they're the most common type of lobster found at your local supermarket or restaurant.  Maine lobsters are available too, but in less quantity and generally at a much higher price point.  I recall when langostino lobsters (which aren't really lobsters) were on the menu circa mid-2000s, but today they cost more than rock lobsters, so they disappeared...

I beg to differ on the texture of spiny lobster.  Not at all like the texture of chicken.  But it is true that they are not as sweet as Maine lobster.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

Argentinian or (Patagonia) pink shrimp are the new langostino lobsters lol. I've been eating as many as I can get when on sale because I know they will not be sustainable long term. Heck, with the water heating up in Maine, it may not last long term either and as the price gets higher, China may end up with the bulk of consumption there. The shell can be 20% of weight, plus water weight, the sac, tomalley, roe and other stuff that folks pay for, many who are just seeking the tails, claws. The frozen tails are fixed price and 20 for $100. Again, I'll take any lobster, the more the merrier. Oh and +1 on disagreeing that Caribbean lobsters taste like chicken, maybe if you severely overcook them I can see someone saying that but it's still not quite the same. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Buy American - Royal Red Shrimp....

Gulf shrimp used to be at the top of my list until the big oil spill in 2010 and all that corexit dispersal agent was flooded into the gulf to try and cover it up, they just didn't the same after. I'll be on the lookout for some Royal Reds. 

• Like 1

Why did you ALWAYS get it if you were ALWAYS unimpressed? I tried it here and there but rarely get it. I'd rather get something I like rather than get something just to tell people I had it, or because I felt like I should like it because seemingly most make a big deal about "lobster". 

On 9/29/2022 at 7:00 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

Argentinian or (Patagonia) pink shrimp are the new langostino lobsters lol. I've been eating as many as I can get when on sale because I know they will not be sustainable long term. Heck, with the water heating up in Maine, it may not last long term either and as the price gets higher, China may end up with the bulk of consumption there. The shell can be 20% of weight, plus water weight, the sac, tomalley, roe and other stuff that folks pay for, many who are just seeking the tails, claws. The frozen tails are fixed price and 20 for $100. Again, I'll take any lobster, the more the merrier. Oh and +1 on disagreeing that Caribbean lobsters taste like chicken, maybe if you severely overcook them I can see someone saying that but it's still not quite the same. 

You obviously haven't been to a Maine beach! I give you 10 mins tops before you go numb from the cold. 🤣

17 minutes ago, d12j28 said:

You obviously haven't been to a Maine beach! I give you 10 mins tops before you go numb from the cold. 🤣

"Data show the Gulf of Maine is rapidly warming, pushing lobsters farther north and into deeper waters, forcing lobstermen and researchers to grapple over exactly how long the boom times will last and whether they can be prolonged."

Jan 11, 2022  (Source: UPI.com)

• Like 1

Do we realize how Blessed we are? Do you know how many people would love to be able to first Cruise then second be able to order a free Lobster meal? I will never complain about anything that I am Blessed with! Always pay it forward!

Just my $.02

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just got off a B2B on the Mardi Gras this morning and had delicious lobsters both weeks in the MDR. We had lobster at Rudi’s Seafood Grill as well and honestly I preferred the MDR. The MDR was small but cooked well, tender, flaky and very sweet. Funny thing is L, I met another couple who said they hated the lobster that same cruise in MDR. This  indicates to me that it is definitely hit or miss when preparing lobster tails. Same cruise, two different opinions. I also got the lobster roll at the Seafood Shack and it was awesome!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jetsfan58 said:

Do we realize how Blessed we are? Do you know how many people would love to be able to first Cruise then second be able to order a free Lobster meal? I will never complain about anything that I am Blessed with! Always pay it forward!

Just my $.02

Just because one complains about some aspects of a product which one purchased, doesn't mean one isn't aware of one's blessings, or ungrateful for said blessings.  This online forum is called CruiseCritic.  It's where we discuss cruises, and yes, sometimes complain about some aspects of those cruises.  It is not inappropriate to do so here.  It is, however, IMO, inappropriate to attempt to shame people for doing it here. 

You have no idea how incredibly grateful I am for all God's blessings in my life.  You have no idea how much I show my gratitude for His blessings.  And you have no idea how much I am constantly "paying it forward" in my life.  Yes, I have an occasional complaint about a product or my fellow human beings.  It in no way decreases my gratitude for my blessings.  Among other blessings, I have been blessed with the opportunity, means, and ability to have earned the money to cruise.  I have never been blessed with a cruise.  A cruise is a product I buy.  So you mean to tell me that you've never had a single complaint about any product you've bought?  I find that hard to believe.  Just my $.02

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1