Travel Insurance

dltodaro

Because I am in NY, there was no option given on Royal Caribbean's website for option travel insurance. I plan on using Allianz.  I am trying to determine the amount to insure. Airfare & Hotel will be with points - so need to insure cost.

For the cruise do I only insure the fare cost?  Am I correct that if I had to cancel they would refund my prepaid gratuities, shore excursions, unlimited dining, and unlimited drink package.  The only price to me would be the cost of the cruise fare? 

Any thoughts or tips are greatly appreciate.

Thank you,

Deb

6 minutes ago, dltodaro said:

Because I am in NY, there was no option given on Royal Caribbean's website for option travel insurance. I plan on using Allianz.  I am trying to determine the amount to insure. Airfare & Hotel will be with points - so need to insure cost.

For the cruise do I only insure the fare cost?  Am I correct that if I had to cancel they would refund my prepaid gratuities, shore excursions, unlimited dining, and unlimited drink package.  The only price to me would be the cost of the cruise fare? 

Any thoughts or tips are greatly appreciate.

Thank you,

Deb

There are 1000 questions within your question.

The most important question is Do You Have ANY Pre-Existing conditions? Anything that you are currently being treated for, or any medications you are currently taking to control a health issue? Or, even any family member not traveling with you?

IF, for example, gandma's health declines and you choose to cancel,, well, that could be a covered reason. However, if during the investigation, the insurance company finds a medicine change or anything else during the look back period, AND you didn't purchase the insurance in the proper timeframe to "Waive" pre-existing conditions, they may decline the coverage.

Also, along with that, many travel insurance companies MAY require that you insure ALL non-refundable trip costs just to include the waiver for pre-existing conditions. IF you don't include all these costs. they "may" decline. This could also include airfare and hotel under some circumstances. Even if paid with points. Each State is different in how they require insurance companies to comply. That's why you can't get the cruiselines insurance in NY.

Travel insurance is great, until you find out you didn't have a true understanding of what all the fine print is about.

I highly recommend that you use a broker. It's doesn't change what you pay. It changes because they have expertise and can guide you to what will work best for you and fit your needs.

I recommend TripInsuranceStore.com. However, there are others like InsureMyTrip.com

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dltodaro said:

For the cruise do I only insure the fare cost? 

My limited experience with the fine details of travel insurance prohibits me from a lot of advice here.  However, I do believe it to be prudent to make sure you have Emergency Medical Insurance and Emergency Evacuation Insurance.

If you are on Medicare (some private health insurance companies, too), it doesn't cover you while in a foreign country.  It's possible if you have a supplement, it may, like Tricare does.  Those are the things that I suggest all Cruisers research and purchase accordingly.   

Me personally, I am more concerned of those major expenditures/emergencies that can happen in foreign ports or even on a ship when you are too far away to be evacuated to a U.S. Port by the C.G. or the ship diverting into a U.S. Port.

• Like 1

This is great advice.  I have 14 days from from when I book to have the pre existing conditions covered.  I am most concerned with a medical emergency while outside of the US.  I had a friend that this happened to and the prices were astronomical.  

Another thing to consider is the CFAR (cancel for any reason) option.  Like the pre-existing conditions waiver, it usually has to be purchased within some number of days of your initial payment or booking.  You won't get all your money back, but a percentage based on when you cancel, and most policies require you to cancel 2 or 3 days before departure to get anything.  This can help in those odd cases where something happens that isn't a covered medical event, such as medical problems with a pet, or death of a close friend, etc.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Another thing to consider is the CFAR (cancel for any reason) option.  Like the pre-existing conditions waiver, it usually has to be purchased within some number of days of your initial payment or booking.  You won't get all your money back, but a percentage based on when you cancel, and most policies require you to cancel 2 or 3 days before departure to get anything.  This can help in those odd cases where something happens that isn't a covered medical event, such as medical problems with a pet, or death of a close friend, etc.

Residents of NY are not allowed to purchase a policy that includes CFAR. That's a NY State ruling. That's one of the reasons why they can't purchase the insurance offered by the cruise line.

In my state, I don't have to cover the entirety of my trip to have pre-existing condition waiver. Therefore, I can purchase a policy within the 14 day period but only claim a trip cost of $1- $500 and still have $100K of "primary" medical coverage. If I miss the cruise, I just knowingly eat the cruise cost. After many years of doing this, I'm still ahead financially should I ever miss a cruise.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I didn't even know that there was a CFAR offered in Trip/Travel Insurance.  Thanks, now you've given me something else to research 🤨😁

I had a cruising friend call me up last month asking for suggestions about travel insurance.  I told her to first check what the credit card she used to pay for the cruise provided.  Some are very comprehensive about trip delays / interruptions.  Secondly, I told her to call her insurance company and see what benefits she has outside the US.  Then, I told her what I have, but to find out what she really needed first.

My Medicare Advantage plan covers all health and medical transport, BUT it may be reimbursement only.  That means a credit card with a large credit line for emergencies only.

Southwest Airlines sells an Emergency Assistance Plus annual policy that I have for medical evacuation.

Geo-Blue is my choice of additional medical that will pay and then coordinate benefit repayment with my usual health insurance.

I find annual policies are much cheaper that buying by the trip, since I travel domestically to see family, as well as cruise.

• Like 1

I don't find Trip Insurance very helpful or needed for Domestic Travel.  When we travel, for the most part, within the U.S. and/or Canada, we only book hotels that allow you to cancel outside of the last 24 hours before arrival.  I'm totally covered medically.  What else is there, maybe tickets to a baseball game that were purchased in advance?

This is not intended to be a disagreement with the reasoning for or against purchasing Domestic Trip/Travel Insurance.  It's probably a cry out for more information.  

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I don't find Trip Insurance very helpful or needed for Domestic Travel.  When we travel, for the most part, within the U.S. and/or Canada, we only book hotels that allow you to cancel outside of the last 24 hours before arrival.  I'm totally covered medically.  What else is there, maybe tickets to a baseball game that were purchased in advance?

This is not intended to be a disagreement with the reasoning for or against purchasing Domestic Trip/Travel Insurance.  It's probably a cry out for more information.  

Domestic medical transport is also very expensive.  If one needs to pay up front and then be reimbursed for a medical transport for a 2,400 mile trip, than having a policy that covers the cost up-front works very well.

Sometimes people don't need more information, but actually have different needs where they DO have the information that works for them.  One size does not fit all, and that's why I actually do advocate gathering information and knowing one's options before deciding.

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

I don't buy it either.

However, I do have an example.

My BIL was a motorcycle enthusist. He enjoyed cross country riding. Well, he dies in an accident a few thousand miles from home. He had medical insurance, but his policy didn't include repatriation of remains. They couldn't afford the out of pocket to bring the body home. They had to cremate his remains and then they could come home for the final services.

Had he had some type of travel insurance or an annual travel policy, things might have been different.

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

I recommend TripInsuranceStore.com. However, there are others like InsureMyTrip.com

I gave Steve a call at TripInsuranceStore.com.  He was very helpful and was able to answer all my answers.  I am awaiting his quote via email.  The price was very reasonable and it has great medical coverage.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I don't buy it either.

However, I do have an example.

My BIL was a motorcycle enthusist. He enjoyed cross country riding. Well, he dies in an accident a few thousand miles from home. He had medical insurance, but his policy didn't include repatriation of remains. They couldn't afford the out of pocket to bring the body home. They had to cremate his remains and then they could come home for the final services.

Had he had some type of travel insurance or an annual travel policy, things might have been different.

Yep, that can happen, for sure.  

For that reason and others (mostly to keep the expense burden from my family), I purchased, years ago, a pre-pay cremation and transportation (from anywhere in the world) policy for a couple of thousand $.  I (and my wife) never have to worry about our remains making it home from anywhere in the world and my kids have no worries either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

There are 1000 questions within your question.

The most important question is Do You Have ANY Pre-Existing conditions? Anything that you are currently being treated for, or any medications you are currently taking to control a health issue? Or, even any family member not traveling with you?

IF, for example, gandma's health declines and you choose to cancel,, well, that could be a covered reason. However, if during the investigation, the insurance company finds a medicine change or anything else during the look back period, AND you didn't purchase the insurance in the proper timeframe to "Waive" pre-existing conditions, they may decline the coverage.

Also, along with that, many travel insurance companies MAY require that you insure ALL non-refundable trip costs just to include the waiver for pre-existing conditions. IF you don't include all these costs. they "may" decline. This could also include airfare and hotel under some circumstances. Even if paid with points. Each State is different in how they require insurance companies to comply. That's why you can't get the cruiselines insurance in NY.

Travel insurance is great, until you find out you didn't have a true understanding of what all the fine print is about.

I highly recommend that you use a broker. It's doesn't change what you pay. It changes because they have expertise and can guide you to what will work best for you and fit your needs.

Very good advice as insurance is not a one size fits all purchase.  People need to discuss it with someone who knows what they are talking about but they also have to decide what they are trying to cover.  Are you trying to get your cruise fare covered in case you cancel or are you looking to be able to get home, to a hospital of your choice if you get sick or are injured far from home.  There are stories you hear every year of someone who gets injured on a cruise and are airlifted back to a Florida hospital and then insurance will not bring them closer to home.  There was a poster here whose DH had a massive heart attack on a ship, causing the ship to be diverted to Canada and he was eventually transferred to California.  They had great insurance but she still had to put up a lot of funds to get him home.  It is the "what ifs" that we really need to think about.

• Like 1

I was traveling Europe this month and there was an air traffic control strike in Paris during the weekend I was scheduled to fly there.

I had to change my plane ticket to leave Italy early and fly to Paris before the strike. This caused me to have to miss an excursion I'd paid for in Italy, and I had to pay for an extra night in a hotel in Paris. My travel insurance is paying for both, and they're also paying for all the food we bought in Paris that day, and the Uber rides to and from the airport, which I wasn't expecting. 

I always buy travel insurance, primarily for medical stuff, and just in case I have to cancel my trip for some reason. I've read the clause about strikes in my policies in the past, but have never considered it as a reason to buy insurance. I was really excited to get to cash in on it this time, especially since they're paying for a bunch of stuff I wouldn't have expected to get refunded for (like food and Uber rides that I would have been paying for anyway). The policy cost me $86 and I'm receiving over $500 in reimbursements. 

Worth it.

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 2