Sun Princess Mediterranean Inaugural

MsSoCalCruiser

Hello.  I have friends that are thinking about this inaugural cruise. I would like to ask the experts here for your opinions.  I do love an inaugural cruise (Discovery Princess) and the Sun Princess looks like she will be absolutely stunning.   And when it’s working, I love the MedallionClass app and Medallion.  

If it’s not Princess do you have a favorite cruiseline for this itinerary?  Princess is my favorite cruiseline but I can’t give my opinion since I do not know the area.

Is this a good itinerary or is there another line with a different itinerary that you would prefer?  

Which are your favorite Mediterranean ports and why?

Thank you so much for your replies!  Take care.  

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 1

Huge variation in personal preference here!!!

For me, for sure I like these itineraries.  (Just not in chilly Feb)

We are not blessed to cruise often, and have enjoyed Princess, but have looked at other lines to get better itineraries). Actually had an Oceania booked pre-Pancemic.

Anything that gets Rome and Athens, and also ports like Santorini, Ephesus, in less than two weeks...  Thumbs up.

I am wondering if, after these pre-season inaugural cruises these itineraries will go go the usual itineraries that we have been seeing.  Either Western (Barcelona - Rome) or Eastern with Greece and Ephesus.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

We are not blessed to cruise often, and have enjoyed Princess, but have looked at other lines to get better itineraries). Actually had an Oceania booked pre-Pancemic.

Anything that gets Rome and Athens, and also ports like Santorini, Ephesus, in less than two weeks...  Thumbs up.

I am wondering if, after these pre-season inaugural cruises these itineraries will go go the usual itineraries that we have been seeing.  Either Western (Barcelona - Rome) or Eastern with Greece and Ephesus.

Thank you so much for your reply. So it sounds like they have combined western and eastern with this itinerary?

3 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

This may be booked because of your reply.  Thanks again!  

I am seeing a little green tag on these cruises on the Princess website for one dollar deposits.  But, of course, when you pull up to book, it wants the double deposit, $400. per person.

Hhhhmmm?

Anyhow, I am hoping that more of these itineraries for next Spring are released soon.  I think these Med. cruises are sometimes announced early Oct?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I am seeing a little green tag on these cruises on the Princess website for one dollar deposits.  But, of course, when you pull up to book, it wants the double deposit, $400. per person.

Hhhhmmm?

Anyhow, I am hoping that more of these itineraries for next Spring are released soon.  I think these Med. cruises are sometimes announced early Oct?

I also see the little green tag.  Their TA will need to figure it out for them.  Maybe another website error??? Great information and I will let them know. Thanks again!

The $1 deposit promotion’s T&C states…maybe another pricing glitch showing it.

$1 Deposit reference promotion code: MRI. Offer is available on select cruises and cruisetours sailing January 4, 2023 and beyond and must be booked by October 5, 2022.

Offers only available for new bookings, on select cruises, on a limited availability, are capacity controlled (regardless of stateroom availability)

Edited by Astro Flyer

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

$1 Deposit reference promotion code: MRI. Offer is available on select cruises and cruisetours sailing January 4, 2023 and beyond and must be booked by October 5, 2022.

Offers only available for new bookings, on select cruises, on a limited availability, are capacity controlled (regardless of stateroom availability)

Cash is king right now. Viking want full payment 12 months in advance. They understand.

4 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

I think it was another glitch. My friends had to put down a deposit I believe of $200 per person. You never know if what you see on their website is correct.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I think it was another glitch. My friends had to put down a deposit I believe of $200 per person. You never know if what you see on their website is correct.

While signed in to my Captain’s Circle account went through the booking process for the cheapest interior cabin which required a $400/pp deposit. On Discovery’s first 2 cruises the per day rate for an obstructed balcony was about half the price of Sun’s cheapest interior cabin at $200/day. We’re not interested in flying to Europe for a winter cruise paying that much. We have a 20 day Oceania cruise (includes wi-fi, non-alcohol drinks, 4 specialty dinners and taxes/fees) next year in an oceanview cabin for less per day than an interior on Sun Princess…we’ll enjoy the O-Life on a smaller R-Class Oceania ship. 😊

image.jpeg.e51257eef6f7b592bf90300a436bd83f.jpeg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

While signed in to my Captain’s Circle account went through the booking process for the cheapest interior cabin which required a $400/pp deposit. On Discovery’s first 2 cruises the per day rate for an obstructed balcony was about half the price of Sun’s cheapest interior cabin at $200/day. We’re not interested in flying to Europe for a winter cruise paying that much. We have a 20 day Oceania cruise (includes wi-fi, non-alcohol drinks, 4 specialty dinners and taxes/fees) next year in an oceanview cabin for less per day than an interior on Sun Princess…we’ll enjoy the O-Life on a smaller R-Class Oceania ship. 😊

image.jpeg.e51257eef6f7b592bf90300a436bd83f.jpeg

Doesn’t look like a deal to me. 😳

Wonder if these prices will attract 

young families with children? 🤔

I guess I am confused about the pricing too.  These fares are high.   But, if, and or when, there are lower fares, people can refare.   So, not sure what the angle is here.   Maybe they are hoping to fill these 'special' inaugural savings at these rates.   People could also cancel and rebook later dates in the Spring if these sailings have lower fares.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Doesn’t look like a deal to me. 😳

Wonder if these prices will attract 

young families with children? 🤔

And the red box states this is their Deal pricing. 🙄

By selecting their “View Applied Promos” get this info…wasn’t this Promo Special Offer previously considered the basic cruise experience. 🥴 I doubt if even first time cruisers, with or without children, would consider these to be any sort of deal.

2E8C3EA0-7638-4769-ABA4-5757B069F32E.jpeg

19 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Here is an itinerary I am considering for a 13 day cruise on the NCL Gem for next August. 

Venice (Trieste),Italy
Venice,Italy
Venice (Ravenna),Italy
Dubrovnik,Croatia
Kotor,Montenegro
Corfu,Greece
Santorini,Greece
Athens (Piraeus),Greece
Mykonos,Greece
Zakynthos,Greece
Catania,Italy
Naples,Italy
Florence/Pisa (Livorno),Italy
Rome (Civitavecchia),Italy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, billco said:

Here is an itinerary I am considering for a 13 day cruise on the NCL Gem for next August. 

Venice (Trieste),Italy
Venice,Italy
Venice (Ravenna),Italy
Dubrovnik,Croatia
Kotor,Montenegro
Corfu,Greece
Santorini,Greece
Athens (Piraeus),Greece
Mykonos,Greece
Zakynthos,Greece
Catania,Italy
Naples,Italy

All great places to visit. It will be very hot in August doing the sightseeing at all of these places. If you can go in September, there will be less crowds and it should be a little cooler.

16 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

My friends were unable to book with a one dollar deposit and I believe it was $200 per person. I did let them know that I loved my inaugural cruise on Discovery Princess and I love the new ship smell but to expect things not to be perfect…

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 11:29 AM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Hello.  I have friends that are thinking about this inaugural cruise. I would like to ask the experts here for your opinions.  I do love an inaugural cruise (Discovery Princess) and the Sun Princess looks like she will be absolutely stunning.   And when it’s working, I love the MedallionClass app and Medallion.  

If it’s not Princess do you have a favorite cruiseline for this itinerary?  Princess is my favorite cruiseline but I can’t give my opinion since I do not know the area.

Is this a good itinerary or is there another line with a different itinerary that you would prefer?  

Which are your favorite Mediterranean ports and why?

Thank you so much for your replies!  Take care.  

Having my personal assistant looking into tying this event in with a already planned business trip in that region. Would like to be on board to hob nob with the big shots, president, ceo's, cfo's, cmo, travel industry writers, agents various celebs. A true hodgepodge of who's who.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

Having my personal assistant looking into tying this event in with a already planned business trip in that region. Would like to be on board to hob nob with the big shots, president, ceo's, cfo's, cmo, travel industry writers, agents various celebs. A true hodgepodge of who's who.   

I really enjoyed the inaugural cruise on the Discovery.  I thought the food was the best and it’s probably because of all the big shots that were onboard.

9 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Why would families book European itineraries in February while the kids are in school?

Exactly!  That’s my point. I was just referencing the prices on these cruises.  Since so many are saying PCL is catering to young families with children.  If that’s true, who is going to

fill this ship?  PCL needs all age groups. IMO.

• Like 2

Nope,  Longer cruises, Europe in Feb,  not going to have a lot of kids.

Believe me,  Princess does know this.

They know their target audience for these inaugural sailings!

That said, have you guys seen the new Princess commercials.

Def bringing Princess into the bigger market cruising in the 21st century.

I actually like the take...  All the colors of the sunsets, azure seas, etc......   REAL not 'neon'.

The wonderful magical experiences of cruising...  REAL...  not (Disney) magic.

Nice!

• Like 1

I’m wondering what the balconies on the bump out area would be like? I know on the Royal class ships you had to worry about people on the skywalk being able to see directly into the staterooms and balconies.  Since there isn’t a skywalk on this class I’m thinking that this may be a good location.  Thoughts?  

On 10/1/2022 at 9:13 AM, billco said:

Venice (Trieste),Italy
Venice,Italy
Venice (Ravenna),Italy
Dubrovnik,Croatia
Kotor,Montenegro
Corfu,Greece
Santorini,Greece
Athens (Piraeus),Greece
Mykonos,Greece
Zakynthos,Greece
Catania,Italy
Naples,Italy

That sounds wonderful.  You’re in a port every day?