Water Bottles for Shore Excursions

CJANDH

In the pre-covid days the cruise lines all offered the one use bottles of water as you disembarked for an excursion. Since covid, I have found that often a reusable bottle is provided in the suite for each guest. What is the current situation on Regent? Do they provide refillable bottles? If so, are they any good or should I bring my insulated bottle from home? I like my water to stay cold all day. Thanks. 

4 hours ago, RachelG said:

They are reusable and metal.  Not great insulation, and we don’t like the ship’s still water.

I am very conscious of using renewable sources.  But I am not happy to drink water that's just filtered from the ship. Fortunately, we are local from our next cruise port so I will bring my own water.

How is that Six Star Luxury?

Bring your own.  We found Regent's metal bottles cumbersome and poorly insulated which failed to keep water cold.  Worst: a metallic, acrid, sour taste from water in the bottle.  Ugh.  We tossed the bottles and used our own, filled with ship water.

Water refilling stations are available throughout the ship.

We found both the bottles and the ship’s water to be just fine. It’s clearly a matter of personal taste. Our Baltic cruise was in cool weather so our water didn’t have a chance to get hot. We might feel different on a tropical cruise. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, wristband said:

Bring your own.  We found Regent's metal bottles cumbersome and poorly insulated which failed to keep water cold.  Worst: a metallic, acrid, sour taste from water in the bottle.  Ugh.  We tossed the bottles and used our own, filled with ship water.

Water refilling stations are available throughout the ship.

We found the same thing. Awkward to drink out of - bring our own!!

• Like 2

The water bottles are awful. The glass water bottles in the rooms are very heavy when full. Hard to pour water without spilling. Don’t like the filtered water as we don’t know exactly is in the water.

I’d rather drink Pellagrino. Bringing my own water bottle for shore excursions.

• Like 4

Currently on the Explorer. Another thumbs-down for the supplied water bottles. Difficult to drink from (impossible in a moving bus!!) & condensation problems. Our solution was to take 2 of the complimentary water bottles from the hotel in Athens, & just re-use those.

• Like 3

Apparently RSSC and Oceania utilize the same filtered water system ("Vero").  We tried out the system on Oceania recently.  The water tasted fine - no ill effects from it.  I will concur that the room bottles are heavy and unwieldy to use and pour from; they do not pour well without spilling.

We would have used the personal water bottles more if we had known the locations of the refilling stations.  Will probably bring the Vero bottles we acquired from Oceania on our upcoming RSSC cruise, now that they've been properly washed and rinsed out at home.  But if you have a better container at home, feel free to bring it.

On 10/2/2022 at 10:34 AM, mj_holiday said:

Maybe someone from Regent can explain exactly how the water system works from when it comes onto the ship until it gets to our cabin.

The cruise ships purify water via reverse osmosis.  It is very clean by the time it reaches you.  The drinking water in the bottles uses Vero System that further filtrates the water.  So the water in the bottles is about as pure as you can find.  There are YouTube videos available that show both how cruise ships purify water and how the Vero System works. 

• Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 2:04 PM, irishwitchy said:

Not a big fan of their bottle choice.  I will bring my own next time.  

We agree. Find the supplied bottles heavy and cumbersome. We stopped using them the second day and will simply use recyclable plastic bottles instead in the future. 

Edited by labonnevie
  • Like 1

Could someone post a picture of the water bottles that are provided?

While I agree that the bottles in the cabin are very heavy and hard to pour from, I bet the reason is so that they last longer and are not easily broken, so not as many need to be thrown away.  That doesn't help me pour from the bottle.

2 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

Could someone post a picture of the water bottles that are provided?

Here's the one we got on Navigator in June, so I assume yours will be the same.  Really not all that heavy but they're durable and come with a carabiner to easily clip to a backpack or something.  

IMG_6122.jpeg

IMG_6123.jpeg

I’m not a fan of drinking out of metal cans, but the Vero water tastes good and I didn’t have any problems with swollen ankles. If you have room to pack your own insulated container, I would suggest bringing it along.

There are obviously lots of opinions on this. On our cruise last month we purchased a platypus foldable water bottle and used that for our excursions as we didn't care for the metal bottles. We found that it kept the water colder for a longer time that the metal bottles, held more and was lighter.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, snorkle lover said:

Papa, so these would be available on the Splendor as well I assume. Do you have a guess as to how long they keep water chilled?

I would assume that these same bottles are on all of Regent's ships. Don't know for sure.  But it's most likely that they purchase them in huge bulk and distribute them fleet wide.

As other have said, they are not insulated so the water tends to become room temp fairly fast.  However for me, since I usually carry a backpack, they are convenient.  I have an outside pouch they fit in and I can clip it with the carabiner so it doesn't slip out.  Because they have no insulation, they aren't overly heavy.  

If you want an insulated bottle you'll have to bring your own.  And there are water stations for the bottles around the ship.  But we told our Cabin Steward that we drink a lot of water so she always made sure there were 4 glass bottles in the stateroom.  We simply poured from the glass bottle to the metal bottle, a feat that had it's "entertainment value" during rough seas.  😎

• Haha 2