Can you debark as late as possible?

mygollie

My flight back home is in the late afternoon, and I don't want to be stuck at the airport for hours. Since I will either be shuttling or ubering to the airport, I don't have the option to explore the area outside of the port or the airport. (debarking at Port Canaveral and flying out of Orlando Airport, which are an hour drive apart) 

So I would prefer to have a leisurely morning and get off the ship as LATE as possible, which I heard is around 10 am. However, I read that when you leave your luggage out for standard debarking (rather than self-carry), you're given a group number, which is assigned to a specific debarking time.

If I'm assigned to an earlier time for debarkation, can I just ignore it and get off the ship with the last group? If so, would they announce which group is the last debarking group? Will my luggages be safe if I don't debark during my assigned time?

....or would renting a car be a better option overall?

Also, you don't have to get off when they call your tag color/number. It's the first time you can. At some point, they will clear everyone off the ship, maybe you could get that time from people who were recently on the same cruise.

• Like 1

@mygollie They put out the luggage tags for guests to pickup 12:00-6:00 the last full day of your cruise. Nobody checks your group number for those leaving last. The main function of the numbers is where your bags will be found in the terminal. Each number represents the row your bags are lined up in.

• Like 1

Just put your bags out with any group number the night before. Then linger around the ship in a lounge our out on deck in a lounge chair and wait until last call to disembark. Then walk off, grab your bags and head to the airport. The mad rush of crowds in the customs area and baggage claim will be gone by then. We do this on 90% of our cruises.

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 5

The latest you will most likely be able to leave the ship is 9:30, rarely have I heard of 10:00. We delay until around 9:30 all the time. Ask for a high luggage number, it will then come out close to when you debark the ship.

• Like 3

We rent a car when we have a later flight, usually doesn't cost that much more than an Uber ride. Self debark to get off early and find something to do. No way could I spend endless hours sitting in an airport, unless it's Vegas and I can play slots lol.

• Like 1

Don't they offer an excursion where you put the luggage on the bus, and you tour some place, then they drop you at the airport in the early afternoon?

Just an option.

Not sure if they still offer these excursions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

Don't they offer an excursion where you put the luggage on the bus, and you tour some place, then they drop you at the airport in the early afternoon?  

We got off the Pride in July and went to Windsor Castle before going to Heathrow, so it's still a thing in Europe, at least.

• Like 3

As others have said, your luggage can sit in the terminal.  Here's how late disembark goes. First announcement: Last of the tags announced. Second announcement (10 minutes later): All guests kindly disembark now please. Last announcement (10-15 minutes after that): Stragglers called out specifically by name.  Try not to hear that last one.  All usually done by 9:30.  I don't recall that being as late as 10 anytime recently.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mygollie said:

My flight back home is in the late afternoon, and I don't want to be stuck at the airport for hours. Since I will either be shuttling or ubering to the airport, I don't have the option to explore the area outside of the port or the airport. (debarking at Port Canaveral and flying out of Orlando Airport, which are an hour drive apart) 

So I would prefer to have a leisurely morning and get off the ship as LATE as possible, which I heard is around 10 am. However, I read that when you leave your luggage out for standard debarking (rather than self-carry), you're given a group number, which is assigned to a specific debarking time.

If I'm assigned to an earlier time for debarkation, can I just ignore it and get off the ship with the last group? If so, would they announce which group is the last debarking group? Will my luggages be safe if I don't debark during my assigned time?

Recently sailed Carnival Freedom and disembarked at Port Canaveral. We were given a low tag to put on our luggage for out side the room pickup. We went down to the coffee shop were the luggage tag board was on the 5th floor and just picked up luggage tags 24. 26 was the highest number. We had breakfast and then left our stateroom. ( They ask for you to be out by 8:30 am ) Our tag was called about 9:45 am and we then picked up our luggage and got on the Carnival transfer bus. Yes it's about a 45 min ride to MCO.

• Like 1

I've been on til 9:30+ (also had a late flight and just lingered over breakfast on board) and there were still others waiting to be called. A lot of variables play into it BUT you can stay on until they ask the last of the guests to leave. They'll make an overhead announcement about all other guests can now disembark. That's when to start making your way down but you can still be at the back of that pack, lol. They do essentially require that you are out of your room though by 8:30 at the absolute latest.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your responses! They have been very helpful.

My flight is around 3:30 PM, which makes it really awkward to lean one way or the other. It's a long time to be waiting at the airport if I end  up getting there around 10:30 AM, but not enough time to be exploring especially factoring in 1-2 hours spent on picking up/dropping off the rental. I may just try to hunker down at the airport, but I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has any experience with a 3-4 PM flight out.

22 hours ago, mygollie said:

Simple answer is yes.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 4:03 PM, mygollie said:

Since you are debarking from PC and flying out of Orlando, your best option is to rent a car.  Fortunately, that is very common and very easy at this port.  The last time we sailed from there, we rented from National Car rental.  They picked us up at the cruise port, took us to the rental agency (a few blocks away). We took care of the paperwork, went to Kennedy Space Center, and then returned the car to the airport without additional charge.  That way, we did the day as we wanted to without worrying about shuttle busses or other people's schedules.

• Like 1

Speaking of the tags they put out.  We were not aware that this was how it was done until we passed a board that had the luggage tags on them.  They still had a decently low numbers so not too bad.  Still wandering the ship we came across another board that still had lower tag numbers.  Basically, if you want an earlier tag #, grab the lowest you can find but still keep looking... there will be boards that see less foot traffic that night have lower tag numbers.

• Like 1