What are you doing with unused Emed tests?

PKB

It is a VERY expensive at-home covid test if not used in conjunction with travel. 

My second question is....wonder how many people had to cancel their cruise because of a positive pre-cruise proctored test?

Edited by PKB
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, PKB said:

My second question is....wonder how many people had to cancel their cruise because of a positive pre-cruise proctored test?

There have been multiple posts where people have described same.

52 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

Keep them until the expiry date. You never know if they will be required again.

By the way they  extended expiration dates by six months to 18 months.   The FDA link below has the shelf life as well as a link to each manufacturer extension.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests#list

By the way.   I always bring mine with me on a cruise.  While they may not be required for your cruise they will be helpful if you start showing sign of infection while on a cruise.     On a recent cruise we both woke with a scratchy throat the test gave us a great peace of mind to know we had not been infected .  It went away in a couple days.

Especially with Flu to be widespread this year it will help rule out covid if you start exhibiting similar symptoms.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, PKB said:

It is a VERY expensive at-home covid test if not used in conjunction with travel. 

A bunch.

I carried 12 proctored tests and four plain at-home tests for our group of eight sailing to Alaska on the Solstice.  We used two plain ones onboard after some of our group tested positive.  I tested positive the night we returned home.  One whole carry-on just for Covid tests, two covid treatment bags in case we got quarantined, and some cruising ducks.  

IMG_0042.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PKB said:

Since it’s already paid for, it isnt ‘expensive’ its just another test. And if you book an itinerary such as a TransAtlatnic-Pacific or some other Line that still requires monitored testing, you have it. 

Heck, after signing up for the free self tests, I now have 12+ of the things. And have 4 monitored tests. I‘m on a TA and will take the extra monitored tests with me as back up, and keep the rest so in 2052 I can show everybody what it was like back in 2020’s!!

Response to 2nd Question: Nobody Knows and how would we. I tested positive pretty close to my Alaska cruise and kept testing positive up to the day prior and finally was able to take the monitored test the day prior and cruised. Thought Id be on the pier waving goodby to everybody!!

den

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PKB said:

I have four proctored Emed tests I was saving for our cruise in February, 2023.  But if testing is still not required, what to do with them?  Can't return them.....

I got very lucky.  I purchased 5 of the eMed tests and used all 5 before the rules changed.  None of my upcoming cruises are expected to require providing test results to the cruise line before embarkation.

2 hours ago, PKB said:

I carried 12 proctored tests and four plain at-home tests for our group of eight sailing to Alaska on the Solstice.  We used two plain ones onboard after some of our group tested positive.  I tested positive the night we returned home.  One whole carry-on just for Covid tests, two covid treatment bags in case we got quarantined, and some cruising ducks.  

IMG_0042.JPG

I bet you were a Girl Scout!     I'm sure you were happy to have them along.    I took one the morning of our last B2B testing just to make me feel more confident.   We tested positive on a B2B in March and ended up testing daily for 11 days to confirm when we would be virus free.  

4 hours ago, PKB said:

I have four proctored Emed tests I was saving for our cruise in February, 2023.  But if testing is still not required, what to do with them?  Can't return them.....

Would you be interested in selling them and mailing them to Idaho?

I have a Transatlantic scheduled for the end of October that still requires a Supervised Test. I was planning on going to a Pharmacy in Rome for the test, but maybe this would be easier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HBDave said:

Would you be interested in selling them and mailing them to Idaho?

I have a Transatlantic scheduled for the end of October that still requires a Supervised Test. I was planning on going to a Pharmacy in Rome for the test, but maybe this would be easier.

Email me at pkboone@comcast.net

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

You never know when you might want to test for covid regardless of the circumstances. Taking the swab will help make the correct health choices for yourself and others.

Haven't ever had to or wanted to take a test yet.  

• Like 1

I bought a 6 pack expecting that I'd need them all.  We used 3 in September for an Alaska cruise (me, DH and my mother - she paid for 7 of us, so I figured the least I could do is give her one).

We're doing a transatlantic in a couple of weeks, and we'll have to test in London because we leave 4 days before the cruise.  I'll bring all 3, use 2 and have the 3rd in case we mess one up, or someone on our roll call needs it, if we don't mess up.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PKB said:

One whole carry-on just for Covid tests, two covid treatment bags in case we got quarantined, and some cruising ducks.  

IMG_0042.JPG

what was in your Covid treatment bag in case you got Covid ?