The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday October 5th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Do Something Nice Day, National Kale Day, and World Teacher's Day

You're going to come across people in your life who will say all the right words at all the right times. But in the end, it's always their actions you should judge them by. It's actions, not words, that matter.--Nicholas Sparks, The Rescue

Meal Suggestion for today - sweet potato and kale pizza
Drink of the Day - Beer Loathing
Wine of the Day - Stella Bella 2019 Chardonnay (Margaret River)
Destination of the Day - Port Chalmers (Dunedin), New Zealand

Eurodam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska 08:00 - 12:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

San Francisco, California 08:00 - 23:00

Nieuw Statendam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 11:00 - 18:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination San Francisco eta 10/6

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Valletta, Malta eta 10/06

Rotterdam

Goteborg, Gothenburg, Sweden 07:00 - 18:00

Volendam

Piraeus-Athens, Greece 07:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

At Sea

Zaandam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Hilo, Hawaii Island eta 10/09

1005World.thumb.png.323c762eb75f94e732d32108fb481635.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 14

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

It is mild at 60°F but wet this morning.

Do something nice should be every day.

Kale is a super food and deserves its day.

Teachers do an amazing job and definitely deserve their day.

I have come across lots of people who talk the talk but never walk the walk when it comes to doing things.

Food and drink today sound good.

Wishing everyone good health and happiness.

Graham 

• Like 25

Good morning and thanks for the Hump Day Fleet and Daily Report.

Congrats on getting the map to us.  Have a safe flight.

It's going to be a lovely fall day here, high of 21°C (70°F) and sunny this afternoon.🙂

I try to do something nice every day, I know many people who do it too.  I like kale.  Teachers deserve respect.

Love the quote.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe for today's meal suggestion.

I'm not sure about the drink but I'm sure the wine will be fine.

Prayers for our world. 

Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

It's the full (almost) day of Yom Kippur and I wish a good Yom Kippur to all who observe it.  Every day should be Teachers Day, and Do Something Nice Day;  our teachers definitely do something nice every day and we should do something nice for teachers, although our schools are closed today.  I cannot fully agree with the Sparks quote because words do definitely have a major impact, although they must be followed up with consistent actions.  Dunedin will be a special port for many of us as it is the home of @erewhon and many of us have met them in person.  Kale is ok but I'm not really a fan.  My alternative is Supreme of Fruit Galliano, Boston Lager Flatiron Steak, and Rhubarb Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 5, 2017:

dishes05.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Loretta Lynn 10/4/22
smitty34877 whole family with bug
Horrific damage from Ian
Western wildfires
Tthose in Fiona’s wake
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
LocoLoco1 recovering from back surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Wiahing our Jewish Dailyites a good Yom Kippur
1Angelcat’s secret Santa
Marshhawk friend Jessee approved for Proton therapy
5 days to first BHB in Everglades
JazzyV road trip with BFF to 10/6
Cruzin Terri in Barbados  to 10/17
4 days for Oceansaway17 (Oasis OTS 10/9 to 10/16)
3 days for Cunnorl (Noordam 10/8 to 1/2/23)
3 days for Cruising-Along(10/29), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam 10/8 to 10/22)
3 days for HAL4NOW (Koningsdam 10/8 to 10/24)
Rowsby in Hawaii until 10/28
Mister67(Clelebrity Infinity to 10/8, Lemonade cruise),  LoveTheBeach (Adventure OTS  to 10/8), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10),   Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15), MissG (Avalon Imagery II to 10/6; then Oosterdam 10/10 to 10/22),  Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 16

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

It's the full (almost) day of Yom Kippur and I wish a good Yom Kippur to all who observe it.  Every day should be Teachers Day, and Do Something Nice Day;  our teachers definitely do something nice every day and we should do something nice for teachers, although our schools are closed today.  I cannot fully agree with the Sparks quote because words do definitely have a major impact, although they must be followed up with consistent actions.  Dunedin will be a special port for many of us as it is the home of @erewhon and many of us have met them in person.  Kale is ok but I'm not really a fan.  My alternative is Supreme of Fruit Galliano, Boston Lager Flatiron Steak, and Rhubarb Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 5, 2017:

dishes05.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Loretta Lynn 10/4/22
smitty34877 whole family with bug
Horrific damage from Ian
Western wildfires
Tthose in Fiona’s wake
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
LocoLoco1 recovering from back surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Wiahing our Jewish Dailyites a good Yom Kippur
1Angelcat’s secret Santa
Marshhawk friend Jessee approved for Proton therapy
5 days to first BHB in Everglades
JazzyV road trip with BFF to 10/6
Cruzin Terri in Barbados  to 10/17
4 days for Oceansaway17 (Oasis OTS 10/9 to 10/16)
3 days for Cunnorl (Noordam 10/8 to 1/2/23)
3 days for Cruising-Along(10/29), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam 10/8 to 10/22)
3 days for HAL4NOW (Koningsdam 10/8 to 10/24)
Rowsby in Hawaii until 10/28
Mister67(Clelebrity Infinity to 10/8, Lemonade cruise),  LoveTheBeach (Adventure OTS  to 10/8), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10),   Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15), MissG (Avalon Imagery II to 10/6; then Oosterdam 10/10 to 10/22),  Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for posting today's updated lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 11

Good morning  on another rainy day here.

@richwmn, Bon Voyage  and thank you for the Daily/Fleet report.

I salute the days especially  for teachers and doing something  nice.We have not been to the port. I always look forward to the recipes!

Thank you @rafinmd,Roy, for the inclusion on the cares list.It is appreciated  but I think the worst is over except for Tana who is not eating much. Better days are coming!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites. A cool 56 degrees.

Last night our neighborhoods celebrated National Night Out. We had great gatherings and a lot of food. The Fire department and Georgetown police came and spoke with us. 

Today I teach Mahjongg and later a doctor appt. Have a blessed day.

image.png.460f872f66b6dd9fc51dfd92e5bba5e2.png

image.png.96995782e69c2c8ab524860645dfd790.png

image.png.3134525eeeb59c237e5cd191af3d7c80.png

• Like 23
  • Haha 8

Thank you for today’s Report and Daily Rich. Hope everything goes smoothly today. Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. 

Another lovely morning here. No more wearing shorts for early morning walks. But Fall is definitely here!  Off to the gym early. Need to get some things done before my class. 

You may have experienced a night when you can not fall asleep. I thought this was the perfect description of it. 

3552A2E5-6F7B-4AE2-BB89-638E64B4221F.jpeg.fb229139860c5531f3ffae7b0276bdf2.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! @cunnorl, Charlene safe travels to the three of you! Have an amazing adventure!

Stella Bella 2019 Chardonnay (Margaret River)

If you do not live in Australia or the United Kingdom, you might have a treasure hunt on your hands. I did not find any North American distributors, nor any overseas distributors that ship here.  According to the Wine Enthusiast site its approximate cost is $35.00.  It sounds interesting, so happy hunting!

Distributor Notes

Appearance - Bright pale straw.
Aroma
Savoury complex aromas of nougat and gunflint are complimented by fresh fruit aromas of lime rind, grapefruit, yellow peach and praline. Wild fermentation and high solids add complexity, which together with well-balanced new oak, provide a wine of distinct southern Margaret River character.
Palate
Aromatically this wine is driven by lemon, lime and grapefruit, with the warmer vintage providing yellow peach and nutty, savoury complexity. Signature gun flint and oyster shell compliment the pure fresh fruit aromas. The summer sea breezes and pristine fruit capture an element of saltiness alongside generous flavours of peach, lemon and lime driving length and tension through the palate.
Enjoyment
Grilled crayfish with mustard and burnt butter - Gourmet Traveller
Wine Specs
100% Chardonnay 
Enjoy Now to 2028 
 Stella Bella Chardonnay has a finer, more mineral expression due to its southern Margaret River origin. A great example of the modern style without the excesses, it is medium bodied, well integrated and full of flavour.
Place
A blend of Stella Bella’s southern Margaret River vineyards. A multiple personality wine, it represents the uniqueness of each vineyard site while maintaining a defined Stella Bella style.
Winemaking
Hand-picked and whole bunch pressed to extract the free run juice only. The juice was wild fermented in barrel using a combination of 35% new and the remainder 2-5 year old oak. Battonage was undertaken based on taste throughout maturation to deliver a precise aroma, line and length. The wine was matured in French oak for 10 months before bottling.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 4

Good morning, everyone!

It is a cold start to the day here in northeast Ohio, but warming this afternoon to low 70s.  And, it will be sunny and bright.  Today is more packing with a little laundry thrown in.

Kale is a green, leafy, cruciferous vegetable that is rich in nutrients. It may offer a range of health benefits for the whole body.

Kale contains fiber, antioxidants, calcium, vitamins C and K, iron, and a wide range of other nutrients that can help prevent various health problems.

Antioxidants help the body remove unwanted toxins that result from natural processes and environmental pressures.

These toxins, known as free radicals are unstable molecules. If too many build up in the body, they can lead to cell damage. This may result in health problems such as inflammation and diseases. Experts believe that free radicals may play a role in the development of cancer, for example.  You can read about the individual health benefits of kale here:  https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270435#benefits

kale.thumb.jpg.68748919217e3cb8ce62af458d76a12e.jpg

Here we have sweet potato and kale pizza along with a cute story of a loving husband who comes home from work and whips up an out of the box pizza for dinner.   https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/sweet-potato-kale-pizza-with-rosemary-red-onion/

152164436_sweetpotatoandkalepizza1.jpg.7201ad65361816f67560c97c7c6745d8.jpg

I remember my grandmother referring to pizza as a pie.   She'd tell my grandfather to go pick up the pie for dinner and I was imagining cherry or blueberry pie.  We got pizza instead.   Here is a cross between pie and pizza.   https://souvlakiforthesoul.com/kale-feta-and-sweet-potato-pie/

1276251570_sweetpotatoandkalepizza5.thumb.jpg.9dd915314df4905443216a3b1e35dd96.jpg

This last recipe includes a gluten free crust and is the kind I like - full of toppings.   https://bojongourmet.com/cheesy-sweet-potato-kale-galette-gluten-free-whole-grain/

1579641402_sweetpotatoandkalepizza6.thumb.jpg.d891249823f079816343132eb33326a6.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  And Bon Voyage for all of our traveling Dailyites!

Who ate kale 20 years ago?  All of a sudden , it has become the super food, and I have yet to meet anyone who says that they love kale.  My friend Tom (who passed in 2020) used to make a baby kale salad that I loved.  Lots of spicy pecans, crumbled blue cheese, with a cheesy vinaigrette dressing.  There was so much flavor on top of the salad, I don't think I've actually tasted kale.  But I loved his salad.  However, I was the only one who did.  So it is not served in this house.  

I am not good with words.  I never know the right thing to say, when things are bad for someone else to help them.  I try to be upbeat,  with humor.  I try to do something nice for someone every day, but in truth, doing the right thing everyday is harder than being nice.  I learned long ago, there are no atta boys for doing the right thing.

The cats need to be fed, breakfast needs to be made, and the bosses are giving me morning hours now.  I had my first sale in the Asheville campaign, and totally screwed it up.  And then I had a second sale, and got it right.  Then on my last call last night in the Louisville I got another sale.  My boss did not give me a thumbs up, because I forgot to text him when I started work.  Makes for a long day when you don't get a "good job" for doing a good job, but as I aid earlier, there are no atta boys when you are doing what you should be doing.

c8c640731c6700d271c2ebbd1cea890d.jpg

912aq-sm20.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 22
  • Haha 10

Beer and Loathing cocktail:

Ingredients
3/4 ounce Aperol
1/2 ounce fresh grapefruit juice
1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
1/2 ounce honey syrup
2 dashes grapefruit bitters
Pilsner, for topping
Grapefruit twist and mint sprig, for garnish

Directions
Fill a glass with ice cubes and crushed ice. Combine the Aperol, grapefruit juice, lemon juice, honey syrup and grapefruit bitters in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well and strain into the prepared glass.
Top with beer and garnish with a grapefruit twist and mint sprig.
Honey Syrup
Heat equal parts honey and water in a saucepan, stirring, until the honey is dissolved. Let cool.

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 8.19.07 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 14

Good Morning from a bright and sunny day at the beach

A big salute to our teachers. We have many in our family. 

Dunedin is a scheduled port on our upcoming trip so looking forward to picture.

We start the big adventure tonite. Heading to the hotel at the airport because we have an early morning flight. Just makes it easier plus our driver is grateful. Tomorrow we fly and we will get our covid tests at the airport in San Diego. We have appointments for when we land. I will be so happy when that is done. It has been very stressful.  I have a box of new masks.

I will post whenever I can.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 31

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily Rich.

Great collection of days.  I will especially celebrate “do something nice” & teachers.  Not sure about the quote.  Like @rafinmdI think being able to say the right thing at the right time is truly invaluable as long as it’s followed up by actions.  The wine sounds good - wondering it is too oaky?  

F3172A04-B85C-43BE-B846-749C115FE383.jpeg.f7d7201f0d20edee0a127c2547968277.jpeg

And Dunedin is a fabulous spot - enjoyed out time there but sadly it was before I knew of erewhon so we didn’t have the pleasure 😔 

Quick post as I need to head out for grief counselling.  In their infinite wisdom - ever way there is under construction - heaven forbid you do one road at a time and give people a way to get places without delays 😳😠. So, I need to leave very early to make sure I can be on time.

Curbside pick up on the way back and then it will be back to outside since now they are calling for rain tomorrow 😬 

48 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Thank you @rafinmd,Roy, for the inclusion on the cares list.It is appreciated  but I think the worst is over except for Tana who is not eating much. Better days are coming!

so glad to hear that the worst is over for you.  Hope Tana’s appetite improves 🤞 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, Ukraine, those affected by Ian and Fiona & those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!!

0CC1F4B3-E25D-4949-A675-64625A95A430.thumb.jpeg.18dff41fccd8768b33610ece1c7f6721.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Good morning from Barbados.  

It seems like we have overcast skies again today with a good bit of wind.

Last night we had a lovely dinner here at the Coral Reef Club to celebrate our anniversary.  We had lots of rain to accompany our meal.

I think we did the right thing by getting away from our messy situation at home.  It gives us an opportunity to rest and look at the whole situation more objectively.

Today I have a facial booked at 2:15 and then I will also schedule a massage.  That should help to ease sore muscles from the nasty fall I took two weeks ago.

Other from that we have a day of relaxing planned.

Prayers for all who need them and cheers to those on the celebration list.

God Bless,

Terri

F877E834-BA8C-4898-840C-4D5A83F0967E.jpeg

• Like 32

Good morning all. Safe travels Rich. Thanks everyone.  I am up early as walmart text at 5am that a package was delivered Aug. 12. I got up and walked around outside. It was one that they had said was delayed but here it is Oct and it says, today on Aug. 12 it had arrived. I called and they refunded the amount but since I was already up and it was 60 and calm out I just stayed up. Can't miss these beautiful mornings. 

• Like 27

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  We’re visiting my mom in Northern Michigan, doing all sorts of fall clean up projects so I guess we’ve been doing something nice all week!  Cheers to all teachers, many of whom still resonate in my head often.  I do like kale when in Portuguese Kale Stew.  I like the quote.  I’ll pass on the recipe and drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port but it is on the bucket list.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 22

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

In their infinite wisdom - ever way there is under construction - heaven forbid you do one road at a time and give people a way to get places without delays 😳😠.

Our Highway out of town is going to be closed both ways again today from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM. The firefighters and Washington Department of Transportation are teaming up to attempt to mitigate the falling trees problem for the upcoming season of wet we hope will come soon. Another tree came crashing down from a cliff two days ago and almost hit a car. They are hoping to avoid this problem going forward.

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is Do Something Nice Day, 
You're going to come across people in your life who will say all the right words at all the right times. But in the end, it's always their actions you should judge them by. It's actions, not words, that matter.--Nicholas Sparks, The Rescue

"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in setting of silver." Proverbs 25:11. Sometimes, words are the action we need.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." Matthew 7:1-5.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 10

Good morning friends!  I tried to get here earlier but things just seem to get in my way.  About 2 minutes ago the security system touchpad started beeping every 30 seconds.  In looking at it apparently another battery in a motion detector needs replacing.  Happening a lot lately in various detectors.  I am ignoring the beeping and forging ahead.  We took a long walk in the dark this morning.  I remember when it would be light by the time we got home but not anymore.  Our winter days are approaching rapidly.

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor posting the Daily even from as you call it America's favorite airport.  Have a great flight and I'm sure you and all the rest of our gang will have a wonderful cruise.  I think the quote today is excellent.  Don't care for kale, or the pizza recommendation.  Much too healthy!  LOL!  I enjoy doing nice things for people, and salute all the teachers including DD and DS.  It was nice seeing the port map on the Daily this morning regardless of how difficult that may have been for Rich.  And lo and behold another port from our cruises down under!  This is the third day in a row.  Port Chalmers (Dunedin), New Zealand is a first listing here for it.  Finding the photos will take a little while, but I'd love sharing that beautiful region.  Sorry I never knew @erewhonwhen we traveled there, either.

Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the care and celebration lists.  Prayers for all in need and that includes Ukraine, and others who were impacted by Fiona and Ian. 🙏 I hope no other hurricanes form this season because enough is enough.  Glad Terri @Cruzin Terriis having such a fine time in Barbados.  Good luck Jacqui @kazugetting to your counseling today.  Your story of the road work reminds me of when we lived in the Columbus Ohio area in the 80's.  All major roadways were under constructing at one time, so T-shirts came out with a Columbus road map covered in orange barrels on the front with the words "you can't get there from here" printed below it.  I had one but probably wore it out wearing it because I don't think I have it anymore.  It was pretty funny even if unfortunately accurate!  Terry @smitty34877I hope all are feeling much better now, but we need to get Tana to eat!   Hope that appetite returns soon!

DH is heading out to his cleaning appointment this morning so I guess I'll stay home.   Getting my crown prepared yesterday was not my favorite activity that's for sure.  I hope this temporary stays put.  And the real one better be perfect when I get it in 3 weeks.  This is a different dentist and I'm not sure if I'll like his work.  The old dentist moved cities and practices.  I wish he was accepted on our health insurance but he's not.  I would have to pay for the whole procedure if we go back to him.  Fingers crossed this all works out.🤞

Going to look for photos of Port Chalmers and Dunedin.  Hope you all have a great day!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1