Transiting Through Doha Airport Qatar

An alert to anyone transiting Doha involving leaving the airport.

On my recent trip to Europe I had to transit in Doha (Sydney/Doha/Barcelona). As there was only a couple of hours between flights there was no need to leave the airport. However, on return, I had a 20 hour stop over due to timing of conecting flights (Morocco/Doha/Sydney).My TA had booked a hotel (Hyatt Regency Oryx Rotana) including transfers from return to airport (private Camry taxi).

While in Morocco we (our tour group who were doing the 20 hour stopover) were told we would require a PCR test 48 hours or less before entering Qatar. This had quite a few of us concerned as there had been more than a bit of coughing going on in the final days of our tour. PCR test was 50 Euros or equivalent - in cash - and was done at our hotel in Casablanca. Much to my surprise, everyone tested negative. Hmm. So, we all clear to enter Qatar. What some didn't realise was that there was an extra formality to go through before entering Qatar, the compulsory installation of Qatar's EHTERAZ app on our phones. For most of us we could not, for various reasons, get the app to run on our phones, not very user friendly.

So, when we arrived at immigration in Doha, we had to go though a different gate where immigration staff (about 5) assisted us in installing the app. nMysel and BF were assisted by a very nice, friendly, young lady who, using our supplied info, including COVID PCR status, set the app on her (or her work) phone. When she had finished she instructed us to take a photo, using my phone, of the relevant app page she had set up for us. Withj this done we were allowed through. We were also informed that we may have to show the app photo at some places like  hotel, entering stores or offices etc. while in Doah. We later discovered one or two of the immigration staff were not as nice as the young lady we had.

So, if you're going to Qatar ensure you have the app to avoid delays if you are visiting or stopping over.This will be important for anyone going there for the upcoming World Cup.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.moi.covid19&hl=en_AU&gl=US

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

On my recent trip to Europe I had to transit in Doha (Sydney/Doha/Barcelona). As there was only a couple of hours between flights there was no need to leave the airport. However, on return, I had a 20 hour stop over due to timing of conecting flights (Morocco/Doha/Sydney).My TA had booked a hotel (Hyatt Regency Oryx Rotana) including transfers from return to airport (private Camry taxi).

While in Morocco we (our tour group who were doing the 20 hour stopover) were told we would require a PCR test 48 hours or less before entering Qatar. This had quite a few of us concerned as there had been more than a bit of coughing going on in the final days of our tour. PCR test was 50 Euros or equivalent - in cash - and was done at our hotel in Casablanca. Much to my surprise, everyone tested negative. Hmm. So, we all clear to enter Qatar. What some didn't realise was that there was an extra formality to go through before entering Qatar, the compulsory installation of Qatar's EHTERAZ app on our phones. For most of us we could not, for various reasons, get the app to run on our phones, not very user friendly.

So, when we arrived at immigration in Doha, we had to go though a different gate where immigration staff (about 5) assisted us in installing the app. nMysel and BF were assisted by a very nice, friendly, young lady who, using our supplied info, including COVID PCR status, set the app on her (or her work) phone. When she had finished she instructed us to take a photo, using my phone, of the relevant app page she had set up for us. Withj this done we were allowed through. We were also informed that we may have to show the app photo at some places like  hotel, entering stores or offices etc. while in Doah. We later discovered one or two of the immigration staff were not as nice as the young lady we had.

So, if you're going to Qatar ensure you have the app to avoid delays if you are visiting or stopping over.This will be important for anyone going there for the upcoming World Cup.

I’ll stay at home for a bit longer I think.

maybe a trip to the land of the free next year. They seem pretty layed back.

39 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I’ll stay at home for a bit longer I think.

maybe a trip to the land of the free next year. They seem pretty layed back.

And still dying like flies from Covid, why would you want to go there? 

Anyway Adrian, sound advice there, thank you.

Edited by NSWP

Lucky you were travelling in a group and not on your own.  Thanks for sharing that important information.

When my daughter had a lengthy stopover in Doha, they wouldn't let her take any water on the flight from London to Doha.  Fortunately the air hostess gave her one of those big bottles of water, which they serve water from, as she is a big water drinker. 

Our family members no longer fly via the Middle East to London.

My flight from Australia to London changed planes in Dubai between Australia and London.  We were to waituntil they gathered all the London passengers together to "run" to new aircraft, which was waiting for our passengers.  I bent down to put my reading matter in my bag and they were gone.  What to do?  I don't have the local language, and didn't know the gate number.  I asked a couple of security looking guys nearby, trying to look invisible, who looked like security, where they went.  They pointed to the escalator nearby "down". No wonder I couldn't see them on my floor.  So I waited at the bottom of the escalator until one of those electric carts arrived.  Another lost couple got on with me and they flew us to our gate, a long way away, where they ticked us off their list.  I now order a wheelchair when I fly overseas, so no chance of getting lost again!!

5 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Interesting story and I thought it was going to have an unhappy ending. But doesn't this mean that the airport staff on their 'work phones' now have all your personal information including passport numbers etc?

Personally, I would never again transit via Doha; I found that even in the business lounge they take you to by bus from the plane the vibe was very intimidating as a solo female. And after the experience of the large number of Australian women who were forced to undergo internal examinations (taken off the plane after the discovery of certain biological material in the airport) - no way you'd catch me there!

9 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Interesting story and I thought it was going to have an unhappy ending. But doesn't this mean that the airport staff on their 'work phones' now have all your personal information including passport numbers etc?

Personally, I would never again transit via Doha; I found that even in the business lounge they take you to by bus from the plane the vibe was very intimidating as a solo female. And after the experience of the large number of Australian women who were forced to undergo internal examinations (taken off the plane after the discovery of certain biological material in the airport) - no way you'd catch me there!

Oh yes I'd forgotten about that.  I also understand about the very intimidating atmosphere with regard to solo females.  What I can't understand.  We cruised business with Royal Brunei (which I love), when they brought on four women (two older and two younger), after everyone else, with a male steward in cabin.  The young ones whipped off their full covering and experimented with their perfume and make up purchases, whilst one of the older ladies took off her top covering to eat.  The other had total covering with mesh over her mouth.  She didn't remove a thing but managed to eat.

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

That doesn't sound like Doha to me. I've been through there many times with my wife and BF. Have also transited there in Business Class. Have never been bussed to or from any aircraft at Doha but have experienced that at Dubai. Perhaps it was Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

I have no problem with the personal information as it was only about COVID testing and vaccination status - they already have your Passport info.

Just now, lyndarra said:

That doesn't sound like Doha to me. I've been through there many times with my wife and BF. Have also transited there in Business Class. Have never been bussed to or from any aircraft at Doha but have experienced that at Dubai. Perhaps it was Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

I have no problem with the personal information as it was only about COVID testing and vaccination status - they already have your Passport info.

Trust me it was Doha. I was flying business class on Qatar airways as it was very very good value. Bus from the plane (tarmac) to the business lounge. I think they could have been renovating the airport at the time - that vaguely rings a bell. And as I said, I was a solo female...

I can remember when we used to stop at Tehran on the way to Europe flying Qantas! but that's going back to the 70's.

1 minute ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Trust me it was Doha. I was flying business class on Qatar airways as it was very very good value. Bus from the plane (tarmac) to the business lounge. I think they could have been renovating the airport at the time - that vaguely rings a bell. And as I said, I was a solo female...

I can remember when we used to stop at Tehran on the way to Europe flying Qantas! but that's going back to the 70's.

Could it have been when they built the new airport, opened in 2014. The Hyatt Regency used to be the airport hotel right next to the old runways but it's now 10 minutes away - depending on traffic.

Just now, lyndarra said:

Could it have been when they built the new airport, opened in 2014. The Hyatt Regency used to be the airport hotel right next to the old runways but it's now 10 minutes away - depending on traffic.

Well it may have been but the main point I was making was not so much the bus trip but the intimidating vibe in the lounge which was an enormous room crowded with mainly men (who hadn't flown with us from Australia and didn't even look as though they were travellers). There were hundreds of people in there.

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Well it may have been but the main point I was making was not so much the bus trip but the intimidating vibe in the lounge which was an enormous room crowded with mainly men (who hadn't flown with us from Australia and didn't even look as though they were travellers). There were hundreds of people in there.

I had the same bad vibe transiting through Abu Dhabi some years ago and I wasn't travelling solo. The exit from the arrival gate was near a glass walled smoking room full of men. Walking past that was very unpleasant.