Smoking now allowed on Venture

twodjs

I was disgusted to read that smoking of both cigarettes and cigars is now allowed on Venture! This ship has been and is marketed as a 100% no-smoking ship. Why in the world in 2022 would management cave to the addictions of a small vocal minority and negatively impact the comfort and health of all the other guests and crew? Don't use the excuse that people have vices or compare smoking to alcohol consumption. No other vice forces others to risk their health. I should not be forced to avoid areas of a 100% smoke-free ship. And crew members who signed on to a smoke-free ship are now forced to endure second-hand smoke for months. I find this change completely unacceptable and have let Seabourn know, but management needs feedback from other Seabourn guests as well. guestservices@seabourn.com   and   officeofthepresident@seabourn.com  would be good starting points. Thanks!

• Like 6

We were quite surprised to hear that this “exception” was made on a cruise just prior to our boarding. We have two smokers with us that made adjustments in order to join the cruise; they brought Nicoderm patches. Image their surprise when they heard the rules changed! For my wife and I, we simply made the adjustments necessary to avoid the area where smoking is allowed. 

Nevertheless, we will make it a point to voice our opinions in writing to the management in our after action report. But for now, I’m not going to let it ruin an otherwise wonderful cruise…

Fair winds and following seas to all…

• Like 1

If this is fact and I dont doubt it, Seabourn should be ashamed of themselves! Forget guest services, I wrote to them and after 35 days had no reply, shocking!!

Edited by fudge
  • Like 3

There is quite a bit of detail missing from this post. Smoking is allowed on Venture’s *current* cruise, on a small section of deck 9 aft (outside), because a  number of passengers had been misinformed when they booked their cruise and therefore was under the impression that the ship had an outdoor smoking area. As the current cruise is a repositioning cruise (St John’s to Puerto Rico, 7 sea days), Seabourn accommodated them. Nobody has said / announced anything about future cruises or Venture no longer being a non-smoking ship. 

• Like 2

I just read in a FB post on Seabourn Sailors that Seabourn has announced that smoking will now be allowed on all Venture itineraries to bring the ship into line with the others in the fleet.  This is very disappointing to say the least.  

• Like 1

According to a poster on FB (as I mentioned above), an email was received  from Gina Luongo, Concierge, Seabourn Reservations detailing their revised smoking policy that will now allow cigarette, pipe and cigar smoking on the starboard half of the Sky Bar on deck 9, to bring these ships into alignment with the rest of the fleet. 

Edited by SLSD

4 hours ago, florisdekort said:

There is quite a bit of detail missing from this post. Smoking is allowed on Venture’s *current* cruise, on a small section of deck 9 aft (outside), because a  number of passengers had been misinformed when they booked their cruise and therefore was under the impression that the ship had an outdoor smoking area. As the current cruise is a repositioning cruise (St John’s to Puerto Rico, 7 sea days), Seabourn accommodated them. Nobody has said / announced anything about future cruises or Venture no longer being a non-smoking ship. 

No, the revised smoking policy sent to me from Seabourn is for ALL future cruises! As I posted, I was promised verbally two days ago that there would be no smoking permitted in Antarctica. However, nothing in writing about any restriction - and she specifically referenced our 21-day Antarctica cruise in her letter.

4 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

I will trump that with six years...🙄

The guest relations communication  problems precede  Covid, and have not gotten better.

I delegate my issues to my TA ( so she can earn her commission, and is more likely to be taken seriously).

Interesting that guests on the current cruise claim to have been "misinformed". We received a notice from Seabourn on Dec. 1, 2021 that both expedition ships were to be 100% non-smoking. Perhaps these guests chose not to read notices or think it didn't apply to them. They DID receive a notice with plenty of time to cancel or make proper arrangements as others on the cruise made. And certainly not a legitimate reason to downgrade Seabourn's no-smoking policy. 

• Like 2

I find this thread very interesting so I will repeat some of my prior post.  Last week, when we heard that smoking was allowed on the Venture, we decided to telephone SB and "offer" to cancel our upcoming Dec cruise (to Antarctica) since we booked under the false impression that there was to be no smoking on the Venture.  Of course, we also made it clear we expected a full refund of our cruise and air fare.  Our "false" impression about no-smoking came from Seabourn's information clearly posted on SBs own web site and information given to us at the time we originally booked the Venture cruise.  

The Seabourn representative, after putting us on hold for about 10 min, informed us that we should "not believe social media" and there was no smoking allowed on the Venture.  She also told us that there was no Sky Bar on the Venture (I assume SB can read their deck plan just like they can read their own no-smoking policy).  When I asked for this in writing she told me that SB would send me an e-mail setting forth the no-smoking policy (we have never received this e-mail).

I do hope that "Josh" or some other SB folks see this post.  If I am misrepresenting anything I would welcome an e-mail from them,   No need for any phone calls since anything said verbally by SB would likely be disavowed at a later time.  After the disinformation we got during the recent phone call it is difficult to give much credibility to any SB policy.

Here is the current information direct from the SB web site:

"We want to let you know of an important revision to our smoking policy. Our ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ships will be visiting many remote, pristine, rarely visited environments with diverse ecosystems and wildlife. As such, we are implementing a no-smoking policy on board our Expedition fleet to eliminate the possibility that smoking materials might harm the environment.

As a result, smoking and vaping will not be permitted in any area on board either Seabourn Venture or Seabourn Pursuit."

That does seem pretty clear.

Hank

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Seabourn operations and customer service is a shadow of its former self.  I think that the higher ups, who set the corporate tone, just do not care.  I love the line, “Don’t believe social media”.  

I think Seabourn is under huge financial pressure right now.  They are struggling to survive with less financial backing.  I think the caring aspect can disappear under this kind of pressure.  

• Like 1

I was just informed by a member of the ship’s staff that the new smoking policy is to provide a safe and convenient space on all SB ships for those that wish to smoke. There are plenty of other areas to enjoy sitting outdoors and not being inconvenienced by this. I agree. To me, it is simply a matter of making adjustments and everyone, staff and guests, need a bit of time to make it a part of the routine. 

Now, off to explore Old Town here in San Juan, P.R…😎

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I find this thread very interesting so I will repeat some of my prior post.  Last week, when we heard that smoking was allowed on the Venture, we decided to telephone SB and "offer" to cancel our upcoming Dec cruise (to Antarctica) since we booked under the false impression that there was to be no smoking on the Venture.  Of course, we also made it clear we expected a full refund of our cruise and air fare.  Our "false" impression about no-smoking came from Seabourn's information clearly posted on SBs own web site and information given to us at the time we originally booked the Venture cruise.  

The Seabourn representative, after putting us on hold for about 10 min, informed us that we should "not believe social media" and there was no smoking allowed on the Venture.  She also told us that there was no Sky Bar on the Venture (I assume SB can read their deck plan just like they can read their own no-smoking policy).  When I asked for this in writing she told me that SB would send me an e-mail setting forth the no-smoking policy (we have never received this e-mail).

I do hope that "Josh" or some other SB folks see this post.  If I am misrepresenting anything I would welcome an e-mail from them,   No need for any phone calls since anything said verbally by SB would likely be disavowed at a later time.  After the disinformation we got during the recent phone call it is difficult to give much credibility to any SB policy.

Here is the current information direct from the SB web site:

"We want to let you know of an important revision to our smoking policy. Our ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ships will be visiting many remote, pristine, rarely visited environments with diverse ecosystems and wildlife. As such, we are implementing a no-smoking policy on board our Expedition fleet to eliminate the possibility that smoking materials might harm the environment.

As a result, smoking and vaping will not be permitted in any area on board either Seabourn Venture or Seabourn Pursuit."

That does seem pretty clear.

Hank

Yes Hank, there is a Sky Bar outside the Club on Deck 9. Smokers used the area by the starboard hot tub.

image.thumb.jpeg.40d7b30f0a6f120558d8e0c0b9c23754.jpeg

When I expressed our displeasure to Venture's staff, I referred to the Dec 2021 email we received & Seabourn's FAQ about the non-smoking policy on Venture & Pursuit but to no avail. I guess we had been "misinformed" that Venture had a ship wide non-smoking policy for staff and guests.

Other than this negative issue, we enjoyed our Greenland cruise on this beautiful ship and would love to go back to Antarctica on her if the opportunity arises. 

Edited by 15Day+
Spelling
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 15Day+ said:

Yes Hank, there is a Sky Bar outside the Club on Deck 9. Smokers used the area by the starboard hot tub.

image.thumb.jpeg.40d7b30f0a6f120558d8e0c0b9c23754.jpeg

When I expressed our displeasure to Venture's staff, I referred to the Dec 2021 email we received & Seabourn's FAQ about the non-smoking policy on Venture & Pursuit but to no avail. I guess we had been "misinformed" that Venture had a ship wide non-smoking policy for staff and guests.

Other than this negative issue, we enjoyed our Greenland cruise on this beautiful ship and would love to go back to Antarctica on her if the opportunity arises. 

It is difficult to imagine being in such pristine areas as the Arctic/Antarctic, going outside to enjoy the view and the clean air, only to have the "stink" of cigarettes, cigars, and pipes polluting the air.  The next thing you know, SB will have smoking zodiac's, smoking areas in Antarctica. and perhaps a smoking submarine.  It is a very slippery slope.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

I think Seabourn is under huge financial pressure right now.  They are struggling to survive with less financial backing.  I think the caring aspect can disappear under this kind of pressure.  

I noticed nothing to give me that impression on Encore in August.

Plenty of ships to sail on if your favourite line goes belly up.😊

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

It is difficult to imagine being in such pristine areas as the Arctic/Antarctic, going outside to enjoy the view and the clean air, only to have the "stink" of cigarettes, cigars, and pipes polluting the air.  The next thing you know, SB will have smoking zodiac's, smoking areas in Antarctica. and perhaps a smoking submarine.  It is a very slippery slope.

Hank

I don't think so it will be the same as the other ships.A small area on a deck.

Avoid it if it bothers you like I do.

I have no intention of walking towards a smoker when I can avoid them.

There are harder things in life I suppose.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I noticed nothing to give me that impression on Encore in August.

Plenty of ships to sail on if your favourite line goes belly up.😊

Exactly…! We cruised frequently on Crystal until it went belly up. With 20-20 hindsight, we could have seen the red flags on our last cruise with them in December, 2021. But since we are also familiar with SB, the change has been effortless…

But Seabourn notified everyone of the 100% no-smoking policy back in December, 2021. Those with a smoking addiction had plenty of time to plan or cancel. Why has Seabourn become the enabler? This is not the 1950s. Looking at the picture of the Sky Bar, it's a joke to think that smoke will stay just on the starboard side. Disgusting!

• Like 3

The smoking issue confounds me.  I live in Texas, which is not the most progressive state and even here we are never subjected to secondhand smoke in a public area,   I don't think it is farfetched to assume that one could go on a luxury cruise with a lovely outdoor bar and be equally protected from something that has been proven to be carcinogenic.  First, there is the safety issue and then there is the unpleasantness of the smell of smoke.  Let's add a third thing--for those with asthma, smoke can trigger it.  So--there are at least three reasons for Seabourn to not allow smoking on their ships.  Everyone knows that smoke drifts.  Why subject the majority of passengers to this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

It is difficult to imagine being in such pristine areas as the Arctic/Antarctic, going outside to enjoy the view and the clean air, only to have the "stink" of cigarettes, cigars, and pipes polluting the air. 

Not to mention all the pariculate and gas exhaust emissions from the scores of marine vessels, tourist, commercial and military,  sailing in these waters. It is fine to dislike tobbaco smoke, and smokers but this is often accompanied by a 'holier than thou' attitude, which seems illogical when emanating from passengers on cruise ships.

I am not a smoker, by the way.... 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Flamin_June said:

Not to mention all the pariculate and gas exhaust emissions from the scores of marine vessels, tourist, commercial and military,  sailing in these waters. It is fine to dislike tobbaco smoke, and smokers but this is often accompanied by a 'holier than thou' attitude, which seems illogical when emanating from passengers on cruise ships.

I am not a smoker, by the way.... 

I don't see it as a holier than thou attitude.  I don't think smokers really recognize how their pleasure from smoking intrudes on others in ways I described above.  It's really that simple.  in most places in the United States, is it simply not allowed these days--and hasn't been for well over 15 years. 

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SLSD said:

I don't see it as a holier than thou attitude.  I don't think smokers really recognize how their pleasure from smoking intrudes on others in ways I described above.  It's really that simple.  in most places in the United States, is it simply not allowed these days--and hasn't been for well over 15 years. 

In public spaces in the US, smokers can still find areas to smoke without going very far, just not inside public buildings or outside in heavy foot traffic areas. On a ship you have no place to go to smoke if you choose to and as previously stated you can ignore the areas on a ship where limited smoking is allowed. Besides, Seabourn expedition ships are the only ships that attempted to ban smoking and none of the other expedition ships have attempted to ban it because I think they found it affected sales. Many smokers would not go on a cruise that banned smoking.

I do understand being upset at Seabourn promising a non smoking policy but then changed it’s policy and not allowing those affected to cancel.