Live from the 2022 Grand Africa

Scrapnana

A Five-Star Day - November 29

Why was it a five-star day?  Yesterday was my 500-day mark, which means I am now a Five-Star Mariner in HAL's loyalty program.  I received a card on my door to come get my new key card.  There isn't a lot more perks being 5* than 4*.  You get "up to $30" credit toward an internet package, a free day pass to the Thermal Suite at the spa, and (the best in my opinion) two free dinners in Pinnacle Grill, Canaletto, or Tamarind.  

The weather has finally turned warm again with a high around 80 degrees.  Instead of crafts, I went for a swim.  The water was warmer than bath water, so it was not refreshing.  There were also too many people in the pool for me to do laps.

After 4pm trivia, I sat out on one of the deck chairs on the Promenade deck and crocheted for a little and then walked my laps around the deck.

Everyone present for dinner and we discussed the situation in Luanda, Angola.  We received a very detailed letter about being careful ashore.  I am not going anywhere by myself and may not even get off the ship.

Finally nice enough for an evening stroll around the deck.

Luanda tomorrow.

1pm trivia (very hard) - we had 6 out of 18 and two teams had 9

1.  Zythology is the study of what?

2.  For what crime was Paul McCartney deported from Germany?

3.  How many time zones in Cuba?

4.  What is the most mentioned beverage during prime-time TV in the US and Canada?

5.  What was the name of the ice cream released by Baskin-Robbins in 1969 to commemorate the moon walk?

1.  the study of beer

2.  arson

3.  one

4.  coffee

5.  Lunar Cheesecake

4pm trivia - We had 9 out of 17 and the winning team had 10

1.  How many states does Mexico have?

2.  What is a group of polar bears called?

3.  Chorizo sausage originated in which country?

4.  What is the second longest river in the world?

5.  What is alektorophobia the fear of?

1.  32

2.  sleuth

3.  Spain

4.  Amazon

5.  chickens

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, canadianbear said:

@Scrapnanacongratulations on your 5*!!! Totally agree, not a lot of perks with it-I’ve been putting that in my surveys when I can.  

Stay safe.  Enjoying your updates. 

@Scrapnana can you tell us any reviews of Across Africa tours?

There was a comment on the roll call that there might be several people with negative reviews for the tour company. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AlohaO said:

There was a comment on the roll call that there might be several people with negative reviews for the tour company. 

There have been a number of mess-ups by Across Africa on the tours.  Trouble with vehicles, not going to the places listed, spending too much time at one place so things were closed when you got to others, not getting to lunch until 3:30, a six-hour tour that took 9 hours, etc.  - and that was just on the two I have been on (check out my post for November 1).  I have heard other negative things from those on other excursions.  I have forgotten some of them but will post anything else that I hear.  I am going on one in a few days.

It looks to me (and this is just my thought) that the company based in the US has a disconnect with the providers in Africa.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AlohaO said:

Shortly after I posted the reply about my experiences with Across Africa, I met with a couple who were just back from one today.  There were twenty people in two vans - one seated 10 and the other 8 - they were crammed in with no a/c.  The "guide" did not have a microphone and gave no commentary in their van.  They stopped a couple of times for pictures.

I spoke to two other people who said their van driver could not find one of the planned stops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Totally Lazy in Luanda - November 30

Even before the unpleasantness in Durban and the letter we received yesterday, I had not planned to do anything in Angola.  I took a tour in 2018 that covered the main sights of the city.  So, today I did virtually nothing - knitted, crocheted, read, and talked with friends.

Departure was supposed to be at 5pm but the food supplies had not arrived on the dock until 3, so it took a while to load everything on.  We left after 6.

All present for dinner but I skipped the show and walked a little on deck.

Three sea days ahead.

7pm trivia - I had 12 out of 18, three teams tied with 16

1.  What are female elephants called?

2.  How many sides does a banana have?

3.  In what country was the game Snakes and Ladders invented?

4.  Is the wavelength of infrared light too long or too short to be seen by the human eye?

5.  Crocodiles have no sweat glands.  How do they release heat?

1.  cows

2.  5

3.  India

4.  too long

5.  through their mouths

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A Visit to the Medical Center -    December 1

About a week ago, I started having a little lower back pain when I bent over.  Over the next few days the pain shifted to my right leg.  It hurt when I first started walking but after about 10-15 steps, I was fine and able to walk my laps.  Last night it started getting worse and hurting even when seated.  It kept me up about an hour in the middle of the night.  Today it got worse and worse and by five pm I decided that I needed to see the doctor.  

They were not busy and they took me right away.  The doctor said it was probably a nerve problem and I should get an MRI when I got home - which I told him would not be until May.  He said if it continued, I should see about getting one at the end of the cruise.  He gave me Prednisolone and told me to continue taking the NSAIDs I was taking for pain.  He also said I likely would not see any difference for two or three days.

Other than that, I had a pretty normal (but painful day).

The show tonight was "Simply Broadway" with the Zaandam singers.

1pm trivia - We had 11 out of 18 and the winning team had 16.

1.  What island in the Caribbean has the highest repeat visitor rate at 60%?

2.  In what country is the headquarters of NATO?

3.  Which planet's moons are almost all named after Shakespeare's characters?

4.  What is the name of Hagrid's three headed dog in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone?

5.  What is located at the highest point of the Acropolis in Athens?

1.  Aruba

2.  Belgium

3.  Uranus

4.  Fluffy

5.  Parthenon

4pm trivia - We had 7 out of 17 and the winning team had 9

1.  What color are the "G" letters in Google's logo?

2.  In what country is the Lempira the currency?

3.  Which country displays a Bible on its flag?

4.  What is dendrophobia?

5.  What is the name of the fictional town in which SpongeBob lives?

1.  blue

2.  Honduras

3.  Dominican Republic

4.  fear of trees

5.  Bikini Bottom

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

With some of the western countries in Africa did anyone get vaccinated for Meningitis or Monkey Pox?? Just had an interesting conversation with my regular doctor about a possible need. Haven’t gone to Passport Health yet. 

1 hour ago, Hygge! said:

With some of the western countries in Africa did anyone get vaccinated for Meningitis or Monkey Pox?? Just had an interesting conversation with my regular doctor about a possible need. Haven’t gone to Passport Health yet. 

If you were vaccinated for small pox you are ok. Meningitis is a good thought though.  

7 hours ago, Hygge! said:

Some people got Meningitis, but I haven't heard of anyone getting a Monkey Pox shot (although there likely is because some had every vaccine mentioned by the CDC and/or local health service).

What a Difference a Day Makes - December 2

I have now had two doses of the medicine the doctor gave me and I can already see a difference.  The leg still hurts when I first stand up or when I stand still for even a few seconds (whoever views the cameras set up in the elevators must get a good laugh because when I ride alone, I march forward and backward to keep the leg from hurting when I get out).  However, I can start walking correctly after just a few steps and I have no pain when I have to walk for any distance.  I even made it around the deck for 1.5 laps.

Other than that, the day was fairly normal.  For lunch I tried the Dive-In that serves burgers and hot dogs and everybody raves about.  I try it once each cruise and I always walk away disappointed.  I left about a half of my meal today.

Knitting, reading, crafts and trivia made up most of the day and I spent about a half hour sitting out on the deck after my walk, finishing my book.

After dinner I went to the show which featured the piano bar entertainer, Clara Vee.  She has a robust voice (she is trained for the musical stage) which is much more suited to the World Stage than the tiny bar, The Mix.

I felt well enough to walk around the deck another time after the show and was treated to a sound and light show (i.e. lightning and thunder).

We gain an hour tonight and another sea day tomorrow.

1pm trivia - We had 12 out of 17 and the winners had 13

1.  Which ocean has the most tidal waves?

2.  Which continent has a land mass greater than the moon?

3.  Who played Peter Pan in Hook?

4.  A league is equal to 3, 6, 9, or 12 nautical miles.

5.  Which kind of galaxy is the most common - spiral, elliptical, or irregular?

1.  Pacific

2.  Asia

3.  Robin Williams

4.  6

5.  elliptical

4pm trivia - We had 9.5 out of 18, the winners had 13

1.  In 2013, Belgium issued chocolate covered what?

2.  What two spices are derived from the fruit of the nutmeg tree?

3.  How many notes in a chromatic scale?

4.  Who shot the arrow that hit Achilles heel?

5.  Who was the Roman Goddess of horses?

1.  stamps

2.  nutmeg and mace

3.  12

4.  Paris

5.  Hippona

7pm trivia was called the Ultimate Mind Game.  I couldn't stay to the end but here are some of the questions. (Think out of the box!)

1.  What three letters can be used in front of all of these words to form a new word - sign, done, found, firm, tract, and dense?

2.  A man jumps off of a 12-foot ladder and doesn't get hurt.  Why?

3.  A plane crashes on the U.S./Canada border.  Where do they bury the survivors?

4.  What is lighter than a feather but only the strongest people can hold it for more than a few minutes?

5.  Can a person jump higher than the Empire State Building.

1.  con

2.  he was only on the first rung of the ladder

3.  survivors don't get buried

4.   breath

5.   yes - the Empire State Building can't jump

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@ScrapnanaI hadn't been really thrilled with Dive In in the past either, it was just okay, but on my last set of cruises I tried the chicken sandwich there and really liked it!  On Nieuw Amsterdam the standard chicken piece was pretty small, so I just asked for two on one sandwich.  It was very good!  On Rotterdam their chicken piece was larger so one was plenty.  I don't eat the Dive In sauce on any of them though.....don't like any sauce/mayo on any sandwich.

I'm enjoying your adventure as I have your blogs for the past several years.  Thank you!

~Nancy

• Like 2

13 hours ago, oakridger said:

@ScrapnanaI hadn't been really thrilled with Dive In in the past either, it was just okay, but on my last set of cruises I tried the chicken sandwich there and really liked it!  On Nieuw Amsterdam the standard chicken piece was pretty small, so I just asked for two on one sandwich.  It was very good!  On Rotterdam their chicken piece was larger so one was plenty.  I don't eat the Dive In sauce on any of them though.....don't like any sauce/mayo on any sandwich.

I'm enjoying your adventure as I have your blogs for the past several years.  Thank you!

~Nancy

I've heard from a couple of people on board that the Dive In's chicken sandwich was very good.  I will have to try one.  I don't like the sauce, either.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2022 at 4:31 PM, Scrapnana said:

A Five-Star Day - November 29

Why was it a five-star day?  Yesterday was my 500-day mark, which means I am now a Five-Star Mariner in HAL's loyalty program.  I received a card on my door to come get my new key card.  There isn't a lot more perks being 5* than 4*.  You get "up to $30" credit toward an internet package, a free day pass to the Thermal Suite at the spa, and (the best in my opinion) two free dinners in Pinnacle Grill, Canaletto, or Tamarind.  

The weather has finally turned warm again with a high around 80 degrees.  Instead of crafts, I went for a swim.  The water was warmer than bath water, so it was not refreshing.  There were also too many people in the pool for me to do laps.

After 4pm trivia, I sat out on one of the deck chairs on the Promenade deck and crocheted for a little and then walked my laps around the deck.

Everyone present for dinner and we discussed the situation in Luanda, Angola.  We received a very detailed letter about being careful ashore.  I am not going anywhere by myself and may not even get off the ship.

Finally nice enough for an evening stroll around the deck.

Luanda tomorrow.

1pm trivia (very hard) - we had 6 out of 18 and two teams had 9

1.  Zythology is the study of what?

2.  For what crime was Paul McCartney deported from Germany?

3.  How many time zones in Cuba?

4.  What is the most mentioned beverage during prime-time TV in the US and Canada?

5.  What was the name of the ice cream released by Baskin-Robbins in 1969 to commemorate the moon walk?

1.  the study of beer

2.  arson

3.  one

4.  coffee

5.  Lunar Cheesecake

4pm trivia - We had 9 out of 17 and the winning team had 10

1.  How many states does Mexico have?

2.  What is a group of polar bears called?

3.  Chorizo sausage originated in which country?

4.  What is the second longest river in the world?

5.  What is alektorophobia the fear of?

1.  32

2.  sleuth

3.  Spain

4.  Amazon

5.  chickens

Congratulations on your 5 star.  I like the thermal suite perk but wish the amount awarded was in line with the number of cruise days. Also, Pinnacle dinners are the best.  I love their crab cakes and depending on the ship, I can get a dinner portion (4) instead of ordering as an appetizer.  Can't believe your cruise will be over soon.  I was so sorry I had to cancel.

0°,0° - December 3

This morning at 9:49 am we were at zero degrees latitude, 0 degrees longitude - we were at the Equator and the Prime Meridian.  The Captain told us that this would likely not register on the ship information page on the TV and it didn't but went from 00°00.01S, 000°00.01E to 00°00.02N, 000°00.02W but some were able to catch it on their GPS.  We all got a certificate to mark that we were each now a "trusty Emerald Shellback".

On a not so light note, my pain was back as bad as two days ago.  I limped around most of the day but then remembered my doctor had said I could take acetaminophen between doses of the NSAID when the pain was bad.  I had not brought any Tylenol but I did have a couple of Paracetamols left over from my last trip to Britain.  They did the trick and I was walking much better from about 6pm on.  Unfortunately, I have only two of them left and the store onboard only has liquid children's Tylenol.  So, my goal for tomorrow is to see if I can find any Tylenol or Paracetamol in Takoradi, Ghana.

Those were the only two out of the ordinary items of the day.

The show tonight was the duo of CH2.  They are two classically trained guitarists from South Africa.  They put a different spin on such songs as Billie Jean, My Way, and Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.

1pm trivia - We had 13 out of 18 and the winning team had 17.

1.  What famous monument does Cary Grant climb at the conclusion of North by Northwest?

2.  What type of wood did the Beatles sing about?

3.  What European country had a short-lived revolution in 1956?

4.  What nation boasts 1000 permanent residents and exports no goods?

5.  Which civilization produced the first ceramics - Egyptian, Chinese, or Japanese?

1.  Mount Rushmore

2.  Norwegian Wood

3.  Hungary

4.  Vatican City

5.  Japanese

4pm trivia - We had 12 out of 18 and the winning team had 17

1.  What is a male dolphin called?

2.  Laura Dekker is the youngest to circumnavigate the world solo.  How old was she?

3.  What is "Love" equal to in tennis?

4.  Which continent (other than Antarctica) goes furthest south?

5.  What is the furthest north landlocked country in Europe?

1.  bull

2.  16

3.  0

4.  South America

5.  Belarus

7pm - Poorly Explained Movie Plot Trivia - I had 8 out of 18 and the winning team had 12

1.  A man escapes the jungle but finds the jungle comes with him.

2.  A male and female become one with their ponytails.

3.  I can't talk about this one.

4.  A dark-souled woman debates falling in love with a dead man or a dog.

5.  A series of naps.

6.  A father plays hide and seek with his family in a grand hotel.

7.  A baby dies of old age.

1.  Jumanji

2.  Avatar

3.  Fight Club

4.  Twilight

5.  Inception

6.  The Shining

7.  The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Takoradi, Ghana tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From @Scrapnana- "The show tonight was the duo of CH2." 

I'm a retired chemist and the name of this duo is the chemical symbol for methylene, so it caught my eye.  Just curious if that is their name...."Methylene"....or does it stand for their initials or something else?   Not the most pressing question of the day, but yes, I'm a nerd!!!   

😎

~Nancy

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, oakridger said:

From @Scrapnana- "The show tonight was the duo of CH2." 

I'm a retired chemist and the name of this duo is the chemical symbol for methylene, so it caught my eye.  Just curious if that is their name...."Methylene"....or does it stand for their initials or something else?   Not the most pressing question of the day, but yes, I'm a nerd!!!   

😎

~Nancy

I think it might be initials but not sure - they did not mention the meaning.

• Thanks 1

@Scrapnana  DH and I have found relief for lower back pain/sciatica using Advil Dual.  It’s a combo of Ibuprofen and Tylenol, take 2 every 8 hrs as needed.  Don’t know if you’ll be able to find any before the ship gets to FLL but something to keep an eye out for.  Hopefully you’re also doing some stretching.  Good luck.