US or Canadian dollar account on board

CruseKrazy

Just curious if you have your onboard account in US or Canadian dollars? I recall a thread years ago where the person recommended staying in US dollars and paying with a credit card that does not charge a currency exchange fee rather than have the cruise line do all the purchase exchanges to Canadian dollars.

Anybody have experience in this and a recommendation?  Thanks.

Dave

USD  

We have a TD  USD  VISA card  along with a TD USD Account   so just pay the CC  when we get home

If I have USD cash I just go to reception  a few days prior to disembarkation & pay the  onboard account

You could  also get  a CC that does not charge  a Foreign transaction fee   like the  Home Trust Visa

• Like 1

Assuming a mainstream cruise line like Carnival/RCCL/Princess etc (not Europe based Aida, Mein Schiff, etc) your onboard account is in USD only. How you pay at the end to clear your account is where you get into the decision to let the cruise line charge your CC used for your onboard account in USD or to let the cruise line convert your balance (at their exchange rate and fee) into a currency other than USD and then charge your credit card in its native currency.

Edited by CHOPPERTESTER
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CHOPPERTESTER said:

Assuming a mainstream cruise line like Carnival/RCCL/Princess etc (not Europe based Aida, Mein Schiff, etc) your onboard account is in USD only. How you pay at the end to clear your account is where you get into the decision to let the cruise line charge your CC used for your onboard account in USD or to let the cruise line convert your balance (at their exchange rate and fee) into a currency other than USD and then charge your credit card in its native currency.

I have had mixed results asking the cruise line not to convert the account balance when charging my CA$ CC. 

20 hours ago, broberts said:

I have had mixed results asking the cruise line not to convert the account balance when charging my CA$ CC. 

We've heard a few people say similar.  Which is why for our upcoming cruise we've been buying RCCL Gift Cards (on days when we like the exchange rate - which is rare) and we will load them to our account as onboard credit 10 business days before sailing (as their website mentions).  

We don't have a USD CC or account, so this way we already know how much we've spent and will have no surprises.  

• Like 1

We always leave our onboard account in USD and let our Cc do the conversion. I’ve never had a problem with the cruise line not following our wishes.

As another point, we have an upcoming Princess cruise coming up and I have prepaid our tips and purchased onboard credit for what I roughly think our expenses will be. Ahead of time like this, I’m charged in CAD and the conversion is only 1.25. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

HAL is charging CND $1.30 for the exchange right now, up from $1.24  A good deal for Canadians to prepay some items like gratuities, specialty dining, etc.

I wouldn't say that paying $1.30 CAD for $1.00 USD is a good deal, especially as the price has increased from $1.24 CAD. The only way that paying $1.30 CAD is a good deal is if you assume that the Canadian dollar is going to continue to decline in value and the cost of buying USD is going to rise.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I wouldn't say that paying $1.30 CAD for $1.00 USD is a good deal, especially as the price has increased from $1.24 CAD. The only way that paying $1.30 CAD is a good deal is if you assume that the Canadian dollar is going to continue to decline in value and the cost of buying USD is going to rise.

I would have to pay $1.365 right now, at the bank for USD.  Did not mean to compare the rates, just that HAL has had a very low rate lately.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I remember the "good old days" when Canadian was worth MORE than U.S.  This is going back about 16 years.  I bought a few thousand for deposit to our U.S. dollar account and we are now down to our last $600.  It was great while it lasted!

• Like 4