Find me a Capetown or Africa Cruise beg. of March please.

SFtraveller

We've just been informed we need a Yellow Fever Vaccination or be denied boarding for Azamara.

So, we're seeing if we can salvage our flights and find another cruise from Capetown or thereabouts.

I've just seen MSC and that won't work.

Do I have to go to each company or is there a universal site that lists everything?

Thank you.

6 minutes ago, SFtraveller said:

We've just been informed we need a Yellow Fever Vaccination or be denied boarding for Azamara.

So, we're seeing if we can salvage our flights and find another cruise from Capetown or thereabouts.

Do I have to go to each company or is there a universal site that lists everything?

Thank you.

Go to cruisetimetables.com and click on the "Cruises From" tab, then click on "Cape Town" under the South Africa heading.

The site isn't 100% accurate but it should give you an idea of what may be available in early March. You can then go to a listed cruise line's website.

5 minutes ago, SFtraveller said:

Thank you.

What exactly did whatever you received say?

Whatever it says you may want to pursue some additional clarification - even if it means calling back and speaking to multiple Azamara people to get an email saying you’re okay to go as long as you have the WHO “Yellow Card” with an official entry that the Yellow Fever vaccine is “contraindicated” and “waived.”

If Azamara truly is saying “no cruise without the vaccine- NO exceptions,” there won’t be many folks over 60 years old on that ship - since getting the vaccine now will be contraindicated for them.

It looks like you’re from San Francisco. I suggest that you get an appointment now to go to the “Adult Immunization & Travel Clinic” (SF Dept. of Public Health) at 101 Grove Street (www.TravelClinicSF.org). They issue the official WHO Yellow Card (see pic) and authorized “vaccinated” or “waived” notation (if waived, you also get a note on their letterhead).

If this doesn’t satisfy Azamara, next time book with Oceania. I’ve never had a problem there with the Yellow Fever waiver (for South America, Africa….)

AE71FA57-57AB-4B08-8F10-E780EF83583C.jpeg

48 minutes ago, mom says said:

This is what Travel Agents are for

SOME travel agents. Sadly, there’s way too many who haven’t got a clue.

Nonetheless, great ones do exist!

For cruises, they are ……………………………

And here’s their direct contact info: ………………………………….

Just kidding around and supporting the CC mandate to NOT discuss TAs.

Is it Azamara   or Africa that require the YF shot?

Land  trip? Safari  ?

Looks like for early March  it  is Azamara or MSC as far as cruises go

I would see if you can change the flights  with minimal loss  or  spend a few days  in Capetown & fly to another Country to pick up a cruise

JMO

Thanks all. It's the Port Authority of Ghana and Côte d'Ivoire that won't even let us board the ship in Capetown. I really should've got clarification, but think I heard that the ship will be denied, if we're on it. It's for port visits LHT28. But will have the same problem, if we go to those ports, the government won't allow us. I've started to think maybe a land tour to the other coast to Gqeberha, East London. Thanks, I'll ask them if this will work "WHO “Yellow Card” with an official entry that the Yellow Fever vaccine is “contraindicated” and “waived.”" Thanks again LHT28, we were hoping the waiver would work or that traveler can stay on the ship. I'll see if I can get an earlier appt. than what I already have. Much appreciated. Azamara was bought by someone new and for MONTHS there has been uncertainty as to who would get all the visas. Some pax cancelled based on this. People got different stories. Even today they said they would then was shocked when she read the latest from Côte d'Ivoire, sigh.....s. I seem to have not done well. Someone just informed me of a March 6th sailing. NJHorseman great lead. 

HAL world cruise on Zuiderdam has a segment that leaves Capetown on March 14, and subsequently visits Ghana and Ivory Coast.  Not suggesting you look at that, as it is 35 days to Amsterdam.  However, you might look on the roll call for the world cruise on Zuiderdam and ask what they have been told about yellow fever.  It may have to do with the ports Azamara visits before those ports.  Lots of folks on the world cruise will be olderly…EM

I guess the only way around it is if the Country will accept  the YF wavier  or get the shot now

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/CotedvIoire.html

I would check other countries on the itinerary  to see if required

Option 2  try to get air changed or cancelled with some refund/credit

The US Government travel advisory which you could use as an reason to cancel 😉

Worth a try

Thanks, Essiesom. We are looking at the HAL cruise. I posted on their roll call for those sailing to Africa right now and no one has replied to me yet. We've spoken with HAL and they couldn't tell us the vaccination requirement. They said we would only know sooner to the cruise. Thanks, I'll go back and asked the other cruise what they were told. The ships from both companies are going to the same African ports, in the same order. Some in one direction, others the opposite.

Côte d'Ivoire wants it.

LH28 great 😉.

Yes, could change half the air. Or cancel. There is an MSC,  we could make a week long B2B.

15 minutes ago, SFtraveller said:

LH28 great 😉.

Yes, could change half the air. Or cancel. There is an MSC,  we could make a week long B2B.

good  as long as the ports  do not require  the YF  shot 😉

Good luck

7 hours ago, SFtraveller said:

Flatbrush Flyer have you been able to get into every county with your waiver that required a YF vax?

The best example: There was an absolute government “requirement” for YF vaccination for French Guiana - since we were going to Devil’s Island.  This was on an Oceania Amazon cruise with other scheduled S.A. countries,  at least, “highly recommending” vaccination.

I’ll always remember that once we got to French Guiana, we were never asked about the Card by anyone.

We also did an Indian Ocean cruise on Oceania that started in Cape Town and hit several East Coast Africa ports before heading East toward Asia. No one (ship or port) ever asked to see our WHO cards. 

FF, that's fantastic. I wonder what is happening in Ghana. Maybe they don't think Angola is doing a good job and wants to prevent a spread from there to them as the next port?

The only good thing, is that we're finding out now instead of after final payment.

Do you know why we can no longer message each other?

2 minutes ago, SFtraveller said:

FF, that's fantastic. I wonder what is happening in Ghana. Maybe they don't think Angola is doing a good job and wants to prevent a spread from there to them as the next port?

The only good thing, is that we're finding out now instead of after final payment.

Do you know why we can no longer message each other?

On Cruise Critic? Over the several years I’ve used CC, there’s not been a messaging function. 

6 hours ago, SFtraveller said:

Yes, in the past we were able to message each other. There is a "envelope" icon.  I click on it and on other people's profiles and it's disabled.

It has never been enabled   AFAIK

Been here  a few years

Maybe you had emailed each other

4 minutes ago, SFtraveller said:

I don't remember how it initially started, but it did lead to email. Then why do I have an envelope icon, when clicked reads:: 

1. There are no messages to display.

The message tab is part of the software CC uses  they just  block it from being used  instead of removing the envelope icon 😉