Comfort check in (aka early check in)

ClevelandKid

We have done 2 ocean cruises in the past, but our upcoming cruise is the first one where early check in is an option. 

what does the early check in get you?  Do you get your id cards early?  Our February 2020 cruise, our check in amounted to a questionnaire about some disease coming out of China (little did we know), they pulled our cards and that was it. For our next cruise is embarkation day like any other port, where we flash our badges and go in, or are there other steps that we have to do?  

thanks!

Comfort check in is NOT early check in. Verbatim from MVJ:  In order to speed up the embarkation process and allow more time to settle in please complete Comfort Check-In for each guest.

Basically, you’re answering questions, providing credit card info, etc. in advance. You print  a Viking “boarding pass” with a QR code. It saves a little time needed for the embarkation process - and it’s easy to do. Almost everyone we saw at embarkation had done it.

• Like 3

FWIW … We completed the comfort check-in for our last cruise (July) and presented our boarding passes at the counter and the agent proceeded to ask for all of the same information and our credit card and took our picture (again).  We might have been annoyed but we were the first in line and it didn’t take more than a few minutes.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, molymoo said:

FWIW … We completed the comfort check-in for our last cruise (July) and presented our boarding passes at the counter and the agent proceeded to ask for all of the same information and our credit card and took our picture (again).  We might have been annoyed but we were the first in line and it didn’t take more than a few minutes.

Yes same thing happened to us although we were more like an hour away from the front of the queue, so although we didn’t express our annoyance it was simmering away underneath! We also had our passports taken away from us, we politely asked why and were told “It will be explained to you” it wasn’t ! We got them back quayside a few days later when we had to submit our passports to that country’s immigration officers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JollyJacqTar said:

Yes same thing happened to us although we were more like an hour away from the front of the queue, so although we didn’t express our annoyance it was simmering away underneath! We also had our passports taken away from us, we politely asked why and were told “It will be explained to you” it wasn’t ! We got them back quayside a few days later when we had to submit our passports to that country’s immigration officers.

This has been our experience on all of our Crystal and Silversea (and a little line you’ll never have heard of) cruises. Standard operating procedure in my experience. 

thanks all!  so what i am taking away from this is there is no real value to the comfort check in (except the pleasure it gives by doing something that reminds you of the cruise while it is still a month out).   we are doing the pre-cruise extension, so we should be at the ship quite early.   Viking Star docked at berth 26 at fort lauderdale yesterday.  It looks like last year's berth, number 4, is unavailable due to construction.  a shame since 4 is closer to the town than 26 is.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wine-wine-wine said:

This has been our experience on all of our Crystal and Silversea (and a little line you’ll never have heard of) cruises. Standard operating procedure in my experience. 

Sorry I’m not clear which of my comments you are referring to. That information provided in advance is ignored and regathered or that passports were taken away with no explanation (despite asking why). 

1 hour ago, JollyJacqTar said:

Sorry I’m not clear which of my comments you are referring to. That information provided in advance is ignored and regathered or that passports were taken away with no explanation (despite asking why). 

Taking away passports without explanation has been my experience on almost every cruise on multiple cruise lines. 

• Like 1

It may be SOP on other lines but it’s only happened to us on one VO cruise—in SE Asia. My husband was going on a private excursion to Hanoi and had to beg borrow & steal to get his passport back after confiscation at check-in. It took awhile, and held up the start of his tour, but they finally gave it to him. He didn’t want to get caught anywhere in Vietnam without his passport—especially if he wasn’t able to make it back to the ship! 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
4 hours ago, marylovestotravel said:

What happens if we don't do this? Is it mandatory?

Not quite sure if you're referring to the comfort check-in or handing in your passport.

Comfort check-in is certainly not mandatory but handing in your passport probably is.

Others on the board especially the "mariners" might be able to give you a full explanation as to why Viking needs your passport.

However my understanding is that it relates to the requirements of your next port of entry where the authorities may need to check all or a random selection of passports before the ship is cleared.

If anyone has a more detailed explanation please do chip in.

1 hour ago, photopro2 said:

If anyone has a more detailed explanation please do chip in.

I believe that the folks who do check-in are third-party providers and they are told only what they need to know to check you in. If they are told to collect passports, that is what they do. They aren't necessarily told why and then have to make up some prattle on the fly to answer questions.

FWIW, I don't bother with comfort check-in. I haven't found that it gets me on the ship any faster so why bother producing another piece of paper that I have to keep track of. I also don't supply a credit card in advance, because it is just another of personal data to be taken when the system is hacked.

• Like 6

Thanks!

Have enough stressors in my life without adding to this. Especially as it requires a photo to be submitted with certain parameters. Do we have to submit a photo when we check in at embarkation? I haven't received any cruise documents and have not been notified if we do.

Mia

2 minutes ago, marylovestotravel said:

Thanks!

Have enough stressors in my life without adding to this. Especially as it requires a photo to be submitted with certain parameters. Do we have to submit a photo when we check in at embarkation? I haven't received any cruise documents and have not been notified if we do.

Mia

They will take your photo as part of check in . No worries 😉 

Edited by Azulann

14 minutes ago, Azulann said:

They will take your photo as part of check in . No worries 😉 

Thanks,

When we were going to South America, Oceania had you fill out a questionnaire beforehand, then had us fill it again before we got onboard, and then again!!! during the embarkation process.

Mia

28 minutes ago, marylovestotravel said:

Thanks!

Mia

There are two  deliveries from Viking that you have to watch out for.

One comes via the postal service about 45 days before you sail and contains your personalized luggage tags that will get your bags from dockside to your cabin (do not attach them until after your flights), red Viking luggage tags to attach immediately with your personal information (and so that other Viking voyagers will recognize you at the airport) and transfer badges so that the ground personal will recognize you. Sometimes, this package goes to your TA to be forwarded to you. None of this is required to get on the airplane or the ship, so don't freak out if they aren't delivered.

The other comes via e-mail to you or your travel agent or to both of you 14 days prior to departure. It is a summary of your booking and your shorex and information about all of the tours available on your sailing. If it only goes to your TA, then it is up to the TA to forward it to you -- and may take some nagging on your part to get it from your TA. Again, there is nothing in these documents that is required to board the ship. It is annoying but nothing to panic over; you are still going on your trip.

In the last month before the sailing, Viking will also send  a series of e-mails announcing pre-trip deadlines.

Viking will take any photos that they need with cameras that are connected to the ship's computer system. If you do need photos in advance then it is itinerary specific and Viking should warn you about it well in advance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

One comes via the postal service about 45 days before you sail and contains your personalized luggage tags that will get your bags from dockside to your cabin (do not attach them until after your flights), red Viking luggage tags to attach immediately with your personal information (and so that other Viking voyagers will recognize you at the airport) and transfer badges so that the ground personal will recognize you. Sometimes, this package goes to your TA to be forwarded to you. None of this is required to get on the airplane or the ship, so don't freak out if they aren't delivered.

The other comes via e-mail to you or your travel agent or to both of you 14 days prior to departure. It is a summary of your booking and your shorex and information about all of the tours available on your sailing. If it only goes to your TA, then it is up to the TA to forward it to you -- and may take some nagging on your part to get it from your TA. Again, there is nothing in these documents that is required to board the ship. It is annoying but nothing to panic over; you are still going on your trip.

In the last month before the sailing, Viking will also send  a series of e-mails announcing pre-trip deadlines.

Viking will take any photos that they need with cameras that are connected to the ship's computer system. If you do need photos in advance then it is itinerary specific and Viking should warn you about it well in advance.

I’d argue with you that this document is nothing to worry about.  I needed it to show that I had paid for an excursion that was not in their system.  I’m not sure where the foul up was, but it was sufficient.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Thanks, Peregrina,

It's been awhile since we sailed Viking and have forgotten the nuts and bolts of the process. Also, there might have been changes. We also booked at the last minute on a guarantee and I imagine that will slow things down. 

We're missing the itinerary specific emails though, about reading lists and films. We'll have a lot of time to catch up as there will be lots of sea days on the trans Pacific from Vancouver to Tokyo!

Mia

2 minutes ago, marylovestotravel said:

Also, there might have been changes.

Most definitely there have been changes. What used to be a a booklet is now a pdf file sent via e-mail.

Reading lists and films are on the Viking Oceans website, on the itinerary page, under the RESOURCES tab.They are not on MVJ (that I could find) and remember that your current sailing is not available on MVJ once the trip begins. Save anything there that you want to save for future reference before you leave home.

image.thumb.png.57c0acff4fa682ca12693c601efde50e.png

19 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Today is day 13 from the start of our official pre-extension, and we leave home in 10 days.  We have received none of the items.  It is what it is.

Part of that is likely because we’ve moved countries since booking, and while we changed our address with Viking the mailed portions are likely taking longer to catch up.  And we can’t do the whole of Comfort Checkin because our credit cards now have a different country for the address than the original booking, and there is no way to change that.  (As a side note for anyone interested, both ACH and onboard credit card options on MVJ will forever default to the original country of booking, you will only ever be able to make final payments by wire transfer or over the phone with an agent.)

However, Viking isn’t worried, and neither are we.  They have our flight info and will meet us at the airport before the pre-extension.  They’ll deal with luggage tags at the port when we eventually get there, and they said just go to Guest Services when you board to give them a credit card to use onboard.

As long as you know when and where to board your plane, and where to go when you arrive, and your passport, essential meds and credit cards are in your pocket or carryon, everything else can be easily dealt with along the way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have submitted a crayon sketch of my husband and me as I am not able to figure out how to post a picture on my PC screen. The computer has not accepted this picture and won't let me print my UNcomfort doc. I hope the rest of our cruise is more relaxing and that in fact we will be allowed to board......

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, shadowshore said:

I have submitted a crayon sketch of my husband and me as I am not able to figure out how to post a picture on my PC screen. The computer has not accepted this picture and won't let me print my UNcomfort doc. I hope the rest of our cruise is more relaxing and that in fact we will be allowed to board......

Comfort check-in has been available to us for our last few cruises. We partake in it if we have absolutely nothing else to do 🙄. The only useful purpose is that it’s exciting to do something related to the cruise 😎😎.

Only once has it expedited our check-in and that was probably by 2 minutes. My guess is that most people don’t use comfort check-in. 

• Like 4