Bar Prices

robc1972

What is going on with the bar prices on RC these days?
Just got off our first post covid cruise on RC, a 5 day Adventure of the Seas cruise and we were shocked at what they are charging these days.

A Miller Lite, used to be about to $6 with gratuities for a 16 oz bottle, last week it was $8.84 for a 12 oz can.
$11.50 for a Captain and Coke?

For the price of 3 beers on board I have paid for a 30 pack in my local grocery store plus some snacks and a fe cokes to mix with the Captain.

I know they took a hit during covid, but these prices are over the top gouging to make up losses and turned us off of RC.
We will be looking elsewhere for our next cruise.
MSC comes out in the lead so far in pricing, RC should take notice of what others are doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

When was a can of Miller Light only $6?  2015?

You're including the gratuities on a 7.49 can of beer to make the price look higher.

Or maybe that's intentional to have a "look at me I'm leaving" post

Seven is about what you pay in any decent bar around here anyway. Trying to equate it with buying your booze in a liquor store and bringing it home to drink is ridiculous IMO.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

You're including the gratuities on a 7.49 can of beer to make the price look higher.

$7.49 plus gratuities for a total of $8.84 for 12 ozs.
Pre covid it was much cheaper for a 16oz.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nferr said:

Seven is about what you pay in any decent bar around here anyway. Trying to equate it with buying your booze in a liquor store and bringing it home to drink is ridiculous IMO.

A decent beer I could understand paying more for. Im talking about  Miller lite, 12 oz can for $8.84, something I can buy 30 of at the local grocery store for $19.94

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Price of the beer plus the cost of the gratuities is what you have to pay so the price is higher.

I pay $5, plus tip for a 12 oz bottle of Bud, and at happy hour I can get a 16 oz tap for $3.50, plus tip at our local watering hole. This was last Friday, not 2015.

Labor Day sale let me get a 30 pack of Bud for $15.25 plus tax. 

6 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Price of the beer plus the cost of the gratuities is what you have to pay so the price is higher.

I pay $5, plus tip for a 12 oz bottle of Bud, and at happy hour I can get a 16 oz tap for $3.50, plus tip at our local watering hole. This was last Friday, not 2015.

Labor Day sale let me get a 30 pack of Bud for $15.25 plus tax. 

You're on a cruise ship not happy hour at the local watering hole. And that $5 beer with a tip is $6. 

10 hours ago, robc1972 said:

Just got off our first post covid cruise on RC, a 5 day Adventure of the Seas cruise and we were shocked at what they are charging these days.

A Miller Lite, used to be about to $6 with gratuities for a 16 oz bottle, last week it was $8.84 for a 12 oz can.

For the price of 3 beers on board I have paid for a 30 pack in my local grocery store plus some snacks and a fe cokes to mix with the Captain.

I know they took a hit during covid, but these prices are over the top gouging to make up losses and turned us off of RC.
MSC comes out in the lead so far in pricing, RC should take notice of what others are doing.

Yeah, people choose a cruise line based on the bar prices.   <sarcasm>

11 hours ago, robc1972 said:

A decent beer I could understand paying more for. Im talking about  Miller lite, 12 oz can for $8.84, something I can buy 30 of at the local grocery store for $19.94

I might, if my arm was twisted hard enough, and Miller Lite was the only beer available, pay $2 for a 16 oz can.😆

10 hours ago, nferr said:

You're on a cruise ship not happy hour at the local watering hole. And that $5 beer with a tip is $6. 

I’m not on a cruise ship by choice and has nothing to do with Covid. My math skills aren’t the greatest but $6 beer is cheaper than $9 beer. Maybe the $9 beer is a special brew just for the cruise lines, or maybe not. The watering hole is very busy, and from what I told, have pretty much recovered from the pandemic and turning a nice profit, and they have for several months. And then there is the cruise lines, started sailing over a year ago, in most cases all ships sailing, and still losing money. Maybe that $9 beer should be $10 - $15. If they do, the $25,000,000.000 RCL is in debt will be gone in no time.

13 hours ago, robc1972 said:

RCI ships are sailing close to or at full capacity these days, so they aren’t scaring too many people away with their drink prices. Maybe it’s gotten to the point where RCI has gotten too expensive for you. If this is the case, there are other cruise lines like you mentioned that may appeal to you more. 

2 hours ago, BND said:

Cost of everything is going up everywhere.  They're just passing on those increases.  They really aren't much more than drink prices on land. 

I drink mostly Scotch.  What I found on the ship is that Johnnie Walker Black Label was $11, Double Black was $12.  Most local bars and restaurants charge at least a dollar more than that.  When I travel and stay at hotels like Omni, Marriott, Westin, etc. I've paid as much as $18 for that same drink (all pre-tax/tip).  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I drink mostly Scotch.  What I found on the ship is that Johnnie Walker Black Label was $11, Double Black was $12.  Most local bars and restaurants charge at least a dollar more than that.  When I travel and stay at hotels like Omni, Marriott, Westin, etc. I've paid as much as $18 for that same drink (all pre-tax/tip).  

We live in No VA which is a high cost of living area.  I usually drink wine or sangria which normally runs $9-13 per glass depending on type.  That's about what the ship's charge too.  Mixed drinks run $13 and up in most places here.  

• Like 2

Each oasis class ship costs 1.5 billion USD.

RCI is not a charity organization. They have to and want to earn money with the cruises.

With the average cruise fare they can`t do it.SO the bar prices is one the additional ways to make money.

Random thoughts: 

- Since the 18% gratuity is mandatory, it's fair to include it in the price here. 

- Consider that a beer onboard will always be significantly more expensive than at your grocery store:  you're paying someone to purchase it, load it onboard, cool it, serve it, then dispose of the can later.  All this isn't free. 

- However, the current alcohol prices reflect pure greed.  They are significantly more expensive than bar prices here where I live. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Random thoughts: 

- Since the 18% gratuity is mandatory, it's fair to include it in the price here. 

- Consider that a beer onboard will always be significantly more expensive than at your grocery store:  you're paying someone to purchase it, load it onboard, cool it, serve it, then dispose of the can later.  All this isn't free. 

- However, the current alcohol prices reflect pure greed.  They are significantly more expensive than bar prices here where I live. 

So since the prices are high compared to where you live then it is “pure greed”?

What if the prices onboard are pretty much the same as where I live?? 

When a dozen eggs sells for $2.99 in Richmond, Virginia ($0.99 last year), I am not surprised of the cost of anything these days.  I think the cost of a beer on a cruise also includes atmosphere and vacation bliss.  That is why I am not opposed to paying $5.00 for a cup of coffee at a local cafe. The coffee usually includes a great conversation with a friend or family member which is priceless. I feel the same with drinks on a cruise.

8 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

I’m not on a cruise ship by choice and has nothing to do with Covid. My math skills aren’t the greatest but $6 beer is cheaper than $9 beer. Maybe the $9 beer is a special brew just for the cruise lines, or maybe not. The watering hole is very busy, and from what I told, have pretty much recovered from the pandemic and turning a nice profit, and they have for several months. And then there is the cruise lines, started sailing over a year ago, in most cases all ships sailing, and still losing money. Maybe that $9 beer should be $10 - $15. If they do, the $25,000,000.000 RCL is in debt will be gone in no time.

I don't even get what you're ranting about. Makes no sense. Maybe too many beers lol?

• Haha 1