Flight home from Sydney at 11:20

njbethany

Maybe, maybe not. There are a lot of unknown variables at work. How heavy will the traffic be? Will there be any delays in disembarkation? Etc. etc. I know for me that if I were faced with this that I would opt to remain the night and fly out the next day, but I am fortunate that I can work that extra day into my travel plans, and many don't have that luxury. 

There is a board here for Australia/New Zealand cruisers.  Folks there might be able to give you some insight.  It is further down the main boards page.  I see you are a very new member.  You might spend some time wandering around the boards here.  There is a wealth of information to be found.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Headed all the way to Sydney and not staying a few days?

In any case, the flight your looking at is too early.

You could always ask Delta if they’d let you change to a code shared partner flight leaving later. But, you’d be “on the hook” for any fare differential.

Best plan? Stay a couple of nights and enjoy Sydney.

Here is the forum/board EM mentioned:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/564-australia-new-zealand-cruisers/

I think the 2 hour minimum check in at airport for international flights is pretty universal. That would mean you have to GET to the airport just about 9am. Even if you carry off all of your luggage at first available time -- that could be 8 or after! Then getting transport? Really, don't do this. You could end up paying Delta for rescheduling and searching for a room at the last minute and paying high for that.

Check with the OZ/ZED board above about reasonable place to stay over, with shuttle to airport, or one at the airport (yuck) that you can get to from port. There is a tall building downtown with a rotating restaurant/bar on a high floor -- great fun! Also a large park walking distance to or from there.

Oh, and welcome to Cruise Critic! You did well to find your Roll Call right off!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, njbethany said:

Thanks for all the advice, this is actually the end of a long trip, but I think we're going to stay until the 17th. The fare home is a lot cheaper on that date!

Great plan...so much to see in Sydney.

* FYI: The OPT, Overseas Passenger Terminal, is an easy 5-minute walk to Circular Quay train station. Trains arrive every 10 minutes that takes you directly to both the domestic and international airports. 

• Like 1

I would not take the 11:30 flight as there are too many things that can factor into your delay in getting of the ship.  We had a 12:30 flight and made it by the seat of our pants.  Our ship was delayed by strong currents and didn't reach the dock on time.  We were further delayed by the need for sniffer dogs to greet every passenger disembarking due to people taking food off at other ports along our route in spite of the Captain warning against this practice.  So everyone and their hand luggage was inspected thoroughly before we could even claim our larger suitcases.  Again,, going through the terminal and immigration was very slow and by the time we were through and into a taxi, we practically needed a change of underwear.  By the time we got to the airport with some slow traffic along the way, we got to our gate and people were boarding.  Too close for our comfort!  Not worth the stress!

Enjoy Sydney for an extra day and be sure to eat at Pancakes on the Rocks.