Lax or SNA

coops

Debating on flight after a Princess Hawaii cruise for April on a Saturday at 11:45a.m. at SNA or Saturday at 12:30 p.m. at LAX. 

Price out of SNA is 450.00 non stop and 800.00 non stop out of LAX total for 2 people. Thanks for any info,. and LBA is a no for sure.

IMO, LAX is hell on earth.  You might want to check if you can get transportation to John Wayne from the dock in San Pedro.  The shuttles who hang around there looking for fares tend to go to LAX.  If it were me, I would arrange a taxi or Uber in advance.

• Like 1

Historical tidbit: When I was a kid (grew up in Orange County & I'm 76 now) a looong time ago, my Dad raced hot rods on the runway. This was way before it was renamed. There was a control tower and one runway. They put straw bales on the edge of the runway to "protect" the audience.

Great times.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

How about considering Long Beach?  They might not have non-stop flights. 

Southwest

Delta 

American Airlines

i try to avoid LAX at all costs 

The OP said Long Beach did not work.  Saving a few hundred $$ from a smaller airport?  Is that a difficult choice? 

LAX and Heathrow along with several others are places to avoid if possible.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, coops said:

Debating on flight after a Princess Hawaii cruise for April on a Saturday at 11:45a.m. at SNA or Saturday at 12:30 p.m. at LAX. 

Price out of SNA is 450.00 non stop and 800.00 non stop out of LAX total for 2 people. Thanks for any info,. and LBA is a no for sure.

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The OP said Long Beach did not work.  Saving a few hundred $$ from a smaller airport?  Is that a difficult choice? 

Thanks for the clarification.  I did NOT see that LGB (Long Beach was not an option).  But as I had commented, I avoid LAX, unless absolutely necessary.  

• Like 2

Thank you all and it seems that John Wayne is the winner all booked.  Glad to hear as they had nonstop flights and the fare codes made it so we can use our free companion fare.  . We also have TSA Precheck.  Appreciate all the feedback. Have a great day to you all.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 3:04 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Not a difficult choice , just was not sure as John Wayne airport is one we have never heard of. 

1 hour ago, coops said:

Thank you all and it seems that John Wayne is the winner all booked.  Glad to hear as they had nonstop flights and the fare codes made it so we can use our free companion fare.  . We also have TSA Precheck.  Appreciate all the feedback. Have a great day to you all.

Just make sure Indiana Jones isn't going to be flying in that day... 🤪

• Haha 3

My biggest complaint about John Wayne is the noise abatement rules . .  there is something about cutting the power on takeoff by 70% to appease the noise requirements that is unnerving . .  I kept having the feeling of "I think I can . . I think I can . " . all the way up off of the runway . . . LOL

13 minutes ago, rcp6146 said:

My biggest complaint about John Wayne is the noise abatement rules . .  there is something about cutting the power on takeoff by 70% to appease the noise requirements that is unnerving . .  I kept having the feeling of "I think I can . . I think I can . " . all the way up off of the runway . . . LOL

The noise abatement that keeps me and others... residents directly under the takeoff path happy. It really isn't that bad after you've done it a few times

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, rcp6146 said:

It's the steep angle take off that is something like the vomit comet.  I still like Long Beach (LGB).  The city was stupid to let JetBlue leave and replace it with Southwest..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The city was stupid to let JetBlue leave and replace it with Southwest..

But I’m so happy that they did. I love flying in/out of LGB on Southwest. SNA used to be my “go to” airport but now it’s LGB. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, smarterman64 said:

my only concern would be distance to get down to SNA from San Pedro. it's down the 405. on a weekday it can be dicey, but weekend hsould be no problem. SNA > LAX

It is on Saturday. 

On 10/15/2022 at 12:04 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

Historical tidbit: When I was a kid (grew up in Orange County & I'm 76 now) a looong time ago, my Dad raced hot rods on the runway. This was way before it was renamed. There was a control tower and one runway. They put straw bales on the edge of the runway to "protect" the audience.

Great times.

I remember when it was just a small building and the baggage claim was outside behind a chain link fence.  

Not Orange County, but I remember the autocrosses at small airports.  Cost next to nothing and gave amateurs a chance to race against the clock.  Pretty cool.  

Edited by ldubs

20 hours ago, rcp6146 said:

The power isn't cut 70%, maybe the noise.Actually now, we just use a standard noise abatement profile.

At 800' power reduction to climb thrust, maintain pitch and attitude to 3000', then accelerate and flap retraction. This procedure is know as an NADP1 as is world wide, It gives you the greatest altitude over distance. We used to have to make a standard briefing prior to departure from the Orange County Santa Ana John Wayne International airport on the 757.

20 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

It's the steep angle take off that is something like the vomit comet.  I still like Long Beach (LGB).  The city was stupid to let JetBlue leave and replace it with Southwest..

The attitude is the same target pitch we always use, only kept to 3000' rather than 1500' on a "normal NADP2 departure. Jet Blue wasn't using all their slots year round so SWA was able to "use" those when JB didn't. LGB didn't want to open a customs/immigration facility so that put the nail in it for JB

20 hours ago, fpsphil said:

The noise abatement that keeps me and others... residents directly under the takeoff path happy. It really isn't that bad after you've done it a few times

It's not the procedure, but the phasing out of older aircraft and engines. Did you know we could get a waiver once airborne to exceed the curfew by 13 minutes. I was told it was so FAA only had to pay 1st 15mins of overtime. The other good urban lore is that John Wayne himself was one of the biggest noise complainers.

20 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The attitude is the same target pitch we always use, only kept to 3000' rather than 1500' on a "normal NADP2 departure. Jet Blue wasn't using all their slots year round so SWA was able to "use" those when JB didn't. LGB didn't want to open a customs/immigration facility so that put the nail in it for JB.

Yes, I knew about the "spat" between LGB and JetBlue.  It was LGB's loss.  That was a horrible decision by the city.  But then again, as "progressive" as Long Beach wants to project, they still are not in the major league.  I love to fly in and out of Long Beach (thank you for Hawaiian Airlines).

On 10/17/2022 at 11:57 AM, coops said:

It is on Saturday. 

shouldn't be any problems on a saturday. you can get curbside to airside pretty quickly as others have said. it's a unique take off. short runway. so they throttle up braked before release the brake and taking off.