​ 🛳️🚢 ​Are you nostalgic for ships gone bye-bye?

How many of the following ships have you sailed on?  Which one are you nostalgic about and why? Which ship is the next to go? Grandeur maybe?

Song of Norway Song of Norway class 1970.    1970–1997 Scrapped in 2013 as the Formosa Queen.[106] 22,945 Lengthened in 1978
Song of Norway Vigo (cropped).jpg
Nordic Prince Song of Norway class 1971 1971–1995 Scrapped in 2015 as the Pacific[107] 23,149 Lengthened in 1980
Carouselship (cropped).jpg
Sun Viking Song of Norway class 1972 1972–1998 Sold for scrap in 2021. 16,607  
Sun Viking at Ocean Terminal, Hong Kong (cropped).jpg
Song of America Song of America class 1982 1982–1999 Operating as the Celestyal Olympia for Celestyal Cruises 37,584  
ThomsonDestiny (cropped).jpg
Viking Serenade - 1982 1990–2002 Scrapped in 2018 as the Ocean Gala 1.[108] 40,171 Transferred from Royal Caribbean's subsidiary Admiral Cruises in 1990.
Viking Serenade Mexico 3 (cropped).jpg
Sovereign of the Seas Sovereign class.             1987 1988–2008[109] Scrapped in 2020 as the Sovereign 73,192 Largest cruise ship from 1987 to 1990.
Sovereign of the Seas Nassau Bahamas (244161813) (cropped).jpg
Monarch of the Seas Sovereign class 1991 1991–2013[110] Scrapped in 2020 as the Monarch 73,192  
Monarch of the Seas (cropped).JPG
Splendour of the Seas Vision class 1996 1996–2016 Operating as the Marella Discovery for Marella Cruises 69,130[58][111]  
Splendour of the Seas 2011 (cropped).jpg
Legend of the Seas Vision class 1995 1995–2017 Operating as the Marella Discovery 2 for Marella Cruises 69,130[58]  
Legend of the Seas (1) (cropped).jpg
Empress of the Seas Empress class 1990 1990–2008

2016–2020[21]

Sold to Cordelia Cruises[23] 48,563 Sailed for Pullmantur Cruises as Empress from 2008 to 2016.
Empress of the Seas in Grand Cayman May 30, 2016 (cropped).jpg
Majesty of the Seas Sovereign class 1992 1992–2020[21] Sold to Seajets and renamed Majesty of the Oceans[21] 78,941  
MSMajestyOfTheSeasEdit1.JPG

Empress is the only ship from the list above that we've sailed on.  Lovely ship. Excellent Bolero's and resident musicians!

Beyond the RC ships, we have a longing for the classic ocean liners of Premier Cruises, Cunard's Caronia, Norway, Regal Empress, Celebrity's Meridian, Horizon and Zenith, and many others. Some tiny cabins, but a wonderful onboard experience.

1 minute ago, shipgeeks said:

Empress is the only ship from the list above that we've sailed on.  Lovely ship. Excellent Bolero's and resident musicians!

Beyond the RC ships, we have a longing for the classic ocean liners of Premier Cruises, Cunard's Caronia, Norway, Regal Empress, Celebrity's Meridian, Horizon and Zenith, and many others. Some tiny cabins, but a wonderful onboard experience.

Oh the Empress.....I sailed on her too. The only ship in the fleet with no Diamond Lounge at the time. Oh well they did have a Happy Hour on the first night for D and above. Missed all the other "retired" vessels. The Cunard experience must have been wonderful -- on my bucket list to sail on one - one of these days. 

1st cruise: Song of America, Sept. 1987

2nd cruise: Nordic Prince, Sept. 1990

3rd cruise: Nordic Prince, Sept. 1992

5th cruise (daughter's 1st cruise): Nordic Empress, Nov. 1998

10th cruise: Nordic Empress, Oct. 2001

26th, 27th, 28th, 31st, 32nd, 37th, and 38th cruises: Grandeur, Nov. 2013, Dec. 2013, Apr. 2014, Nov. 2015, Dec. 2016, Nov. 2019, Feb. 2020

Parents and brother sailed on what became Viking Serenade when it was cruiseferry MS Scandinavia.

Other "classic" ships I've sailed on:  Regal Empress, Premier Seabreeze, Premier Rembrandt, Carnival Jubilee, Norwegian Crown, Norwegian Majesty, Celebrity Horizon, Celebrity Mercury, Celebrity Galaxy, HAL Maasdam.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

Legend of the Seas was my first RCI cruise ship - I did a T/A and absolutely loved it. Think I sailed her twice.

Then again I have loved every cruise ship I have been on except Oasis which is just too big for my liking.

Sailed on the Monarch and the Majesty a number of times. Do I miss or nostalgic about them? Maybe a little bit, just like how I miss and nostalgic about the purple minivan we used to have when the kids were young.  Great times were had in/on all three of them. Frankly, I miss my long gone hair and my long gone 32 inch ab filled waist WAY more than any land or sea based hunk of metal. I also miss my 20 something disco dancing knees and back that I used to have, not to mention the eyes that I could read a book with, without the aid of reading glasses. 👓

Old scrapped cruise ships are Way, Way down the list of old, nostalgic things I miss. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg

First Royal Caribbean cruise Sun Viking 1983, Sovereign 1988, 1991, 1996, Majesty 1994, 2000,, 2002, Legend 2004, Empress 2005 & 2019, Monarch 1998 & 2006. When we went on the Empress in 2019 it reminded me of when we started cruising. It was a great ship. 

• Like 1

I miss Sovereign Class.  I have very fond memories of my first RCI cruise on Monarch before they renovated the ship.  I loved the open-air Windjammer with the 2-story waterfalls.  

DW and I cruised Majesty several times, so we do tend to be nostalgic of all the good times and all the good people we met on that ship.  

Great post. We sailed on Nordic Price in 89 and Majesty in 98. On our first cruise on Nordic we docked in Puerto Rico next to Majesty. There was a large size difference and in those days if you were on one ship you could go over and look at the other ship, so we went onto Majesty and made the comment that these ships can't get any larger. The days of pre set sail passes and specialy dinning. We still recall the pool bar guy who served us and would tack us down for drinks - Mark from Jamaca. We have great stories about Mark. Thanks for the question, brought back great memories. 

Miss the Empress. Sailed her 3 times after she came back from Pullmantur. Lovely Boleros lounge with outdoor seats and great espressos in the morning. Loved the Cuban styled decor also. The large Schooner bar taking up both sides of the ship was a plus. Crew did not like it as much. 4 of them to a small crew cabin.

Edited by coaster

We sailed on a few of those ships.  Some were small enough to be lifeboats for the Oasis class.  

I don't miss the ships because they did not have balconies and some of the amenities of today's larger ships.  However, wouldn't mind if the the level of service and cuisine that those ships had existed today.