2022 Classic Panama Canal questions/recommendations

knoxclone

Although I have previously asked for suggestions, now that we are less than 3 weeks out from our Panama Canal cruise, I am hoping for some addditional advice regarding excursions - especially from those who have done the itinerary post covid.

My bucket list has been always included  transiting the canal, and everything after that is gravy... ( I would probably just be happy transiting  back and forth - I'm a geek that way!)  Has anyone done either of the train excursions? or the boat tour of the canal?

Likewise,  does anyone have any additional insight/recommendations regarding the excursions, specifically the snorkeling in Belize, the rainforest aerial tram in panama  or the horseback in Roatan? Also, there are two separate Tortuguero Canal excursions - One is included, the other optional - any recommendations?

We lost Key West, which although disappointing, Viking has provided OBC, so I am ok with that...

Thanks much!

The rainforest aerial tram was fun as there were a few other attractions like a butterfly enclosure, and lots of birds.  The canal is the real draw though.  Just being on a ship transiting one of the greatest engineering feats ever.  By comparison the Suez is just a big ditch in sand.  Not to say it wasn't a lot of work too.  

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

The rainforest aerial tram was fun as there were a few other attractions like a butterfly enclosure, and lots of birds.  The canal is the real draw though.  Just being on a ship transiting one of the greatest engineering feats ever.  By comparison the Suez is just a big ditch in sand.  Not to say it wasn't a lot of work too.  

I found the Suez and the views endlessly fascinating- one of my most treasured travel memories. Three months later I transited the Panama and loved that, too! To each their own really…

2 hours ago, wine-wine-wine said:

I found the Suez and the views endlessly fascinating- one of my most treasured travel memories. Three months later I transited the Panama and loved that, too! To each their own really…

Suez has no locks.  Simply put a ditch.  A very big ditch that takes constant maintenance but a ditch nonetheless.  Carrying ships up and over a mountain range is significantly more engineering.  Both are worth doing and both have very different but very interesting histories.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Suez has no locks.  Simply put a ditch.  A very big ditch that takes constant maintenance but a ditch nonetheless.  Carrying ships up and over a mountain range is significantly more engineering.  Both are worth doing and both have very different but very interesting histories.

I'm with you Jim.

My first trip through the "Desert Ditch" was at night, a few years after it re-opened. Next one was in daylight, when I realised, I didn't miss much at night.

Panama is a different story. Even though I have well over a couple dozen transits through Panama, I'm still one of the first out on deck. Still haven't done the new locks and really no interest in seeing them, as we won't sail mega ships and I'm not going back to work.

• Like 4

On 10/16/2022 at 11:01 AM, knoxclone said:

Although I have previously asked for suggestions, now that we are less than 3 weeks out from our Panama Canal cruise, I am hoping for some addditional advice regarding excursions - especially from those who have done the itinerary post covid.

My bucket list has been always included  transiting the canal, and everything after that is gravy... ( I would probably just be happy transiting  back and forth - I'm a geek that way!)  Has anyone done either of the train excursions? or the boat tour of the canal?

Likewise,  does anyone have any additional insight/recommendations regarding the excursions, specifically the snorkeling in Belize, the rainforest aerial tram in panama  or the horseback in Roatan? Also, there are two separate Tortuguero Canal excursions - One is included, the other optional - any recommendations?

We lost Key West, which although disappointing, Viking has provided OBC, so I am ok with that...

Thanks much!

We did the Panama Canal & Central America cruise aboard Viking Sky immediately before COVID.  We had a really good time.

I and my 3 brothers-in-law did the Panama Canal by Ferry excursion while our wives did the Emberá Indian Village visit.  It was interesting to see the canal operation from a much smaller vessel.  We left the ship (in Colon) for a very-early, pre-dawn motor coach ride to the Pacific end of the canal.  We immediately boarded the boat and had a nice continental breakfast as we left the marina in the early rays of sunrise.  The Viking passengers (less than one bus load) were the only ones on the multi-level boat and it could have easily held 4-6 times as many passengers.  We went through the Miraflores and Pedro Miguel locks with a tanker ship.  We spent most of our time in the outside spaces at the front and back of the boat.  This allowed for a very up-close view of things.  Traveling through the locks is rather slow going, so I wouldn’t exactly call it exciting, but it did allow us to see the operations from a nice point of view.  We had a nice buffet lunch and there was a small cash bar and a few gift items for sale.  After exiting the locks, we traveled through the canal to Gamboa, where we boarded another motor coach for a ride back to the ship.  We all enjoyed the excursion, but agreed that our less-geeky wives may have been a bit board.

The Sharks, Rays & and Island Getaway excursion in Belize was really fun.  It was pretty much as described and the tour operator did a good job.  The snorkeling with the sharks and rays is mostly in a sandy area, so there isn’t much to see other than the stars of the show.

We did the included Tortuguero Canals excursion because our planned ATV Ride & Rain Forest Trek was canceled by the vendor.  The canal excursion was just okay.  It was fairly short, but we saw a crocodile, monkeys, and sloths.  There were a number of bird sightings, too, but birds don’t do much for me.

I hope that helps some.

Tim

11 hours ago, PlanoTim said:

We did the Panama Canal & Central America cruise aboard Viking Sky immediately before COVID.  We had a really good time.

I and my 3 brothers-in-law did the Panama Canal by Ferry excursion while our wives did the Emberá Indian Village visit.  

What did the ladies thing of the Emberá Indian Village visit? How difficult was the trip? Did they feel like the visit was respectful? Sometimes I worry about these kinds of visits being exploitive in some way.

• Like 1

Keep the feedback coming... I was also wondering about the Embera Village visit - previously have been to "local home or indigenous visits and while some have been wonderfully educational and culturally respectful  then some which have been... just plain cheesy/embarrassing .

Hoping to hear if anyone has done either of the train excursions in Panama!

Thanks

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

What did the ladies thing of the Emberá Indian Village visit? How difficult was the trip? Did they feel like the visit was respectful? Sometimes I worry about these kinds of visits being exploitive in some way.

Hi, Liz.  My wife and sisters really enjoyed the Emberá Indian Village excursion.  Their guide was from that village and they thought the interaction with the people there was very informative.  They had an opportunity to interact with the villagers and learn a bit about their life.  I remember them remarking how they felt they connected with the children there.  There was an opportunity for them to purchase some woven items.  They enjoyed their time in the village and didn't feel it was exploitive.

• Like 1

One of the train excursions on our excursion list (for the Jan. 4 partial transit) is longer and more expensive than the other. It seem to stop at the Miraflores Lock Visitor Center and you see an IMAX film on the Panama Canal narated by Morgan Freeman. I found a clip: 

19 hours ago, PlanoTim said:

Hi, Liz.  My wife and sisters really enjoyed the Emberá Indian Village excursion.  Their guide was from that village and they thought the interaction with the people there was very informative.  They had an opportunity to interact with the villagers and learn a bit about their life.  I remember them remarking how they felt they connected with the children there.  There was an opportunity for them to purchase some woven items.  They enjoyed their time in the village and didn't feel it was exploitive.

If you don’t mind my jumping into your thread I have a question about the Embera excursion.  I understand that they have items for sale and as it apparently supports the village we would certainly consider a purchase.  What currency should we plan to use?  We have read that dollars are readily accepted in Panama but wonder about the village.  Can’t seem to get an answer by researching yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, molymoo said:

If you don’t mind my jumping into your thread I have a question about the Embera excursion.  I understand that they have items for sale and as it apparently supports the village we would certainly consider a purchase.  What currency should we plan to use?  We have read that dollars are readily accepted in Panama but wonder about the village.  Can’t seem to get an answer by researching yet.

My wife says she used US Dollars.

Following....as we go in March.   Really hoping to get some of your insights, post cruise re your chosen excursions.   

Unfortunately, the ferry in Panama, is no longer an option and hoping to find the best way to see as much as possible of the locks. 

We booked a private excursion for cave tubing in Belize as it seemed to be highly recommended on the ports of call forum.   Still deciding on Roatan as sorry, we don't do sloths.  

Enjoy!!  

19 hours ago, molymoo said:

What currency should we plan to use?  We have read that dollars are readily accepted in Panama but wonder about the village.  Can’t seem to get an answer by researching yet.

Although Panama has its own currency, they do not print any notes, they only produce coins. Therefore, US dollar notes are used as legal tender in Panama.

Thanks so much for everyone who has chimed in thus far!  Still trying to decide on train excursion...but your comments have favorable changed my mind about the embera village excursion! 

Got my yellow fever vax this week, and ready to go! I will try to post during the week, but cant guarantee a live 🙂

• Like 2

We did the Panama transit last Thanksgiving time.  We enjoyed the trip even with the Covid restrictions.  I urge you to listen to the lectures about the canal.  it made such a difference!  We had done a canal cruise many years ago on a "big" cruise line...we were in an aft cabin so the viewing was spectacular BUT I learned so MUCH on the Viking journey!  Viking's lecturers and historians really are great!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deec said:

We did the Panama transit last Thanksgiving time.  We enjoyed the trip even with the Covid restrictions.  I urge you to listen to the lectures about the canal.  it made such a difference!  We had done a canal cruise many years ago on a "big" cruise line...we were in an aft cabin so the viewing was spectacular BUT I learned so MUCH on the Viking journey!  Viking's lecturers and historians really are great!

PBS produced a great documentary on the Panama Canal as part of their American Experience series. Here is the homepage:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/panama/

• Like 3

Thanks for the info on the PBS documentary and the IMAX - I will look for both this weekend.  

Have watched the Modern Marvels episode on the canal that was suggested and just finished reading "Path between the Seas" by David McCullough so I can totally geek out.

And.. have downloaded Tailor of Panama by LeCarre for the plane 🙂 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/21/2022 at 12:10 PM, deec said:

DEEC, we have an aft cabin on Viking Mars for November Panama Canal and Central America. How was the aft cabin?  Did you have any rough seas?  
Thanks!

I strongly recommend one of the two discover scuba excursions. Discover scuba is a program for people who have never been diving. You do not need to be certified and you do not need to be a strong swimmer. You get some time in 'stand up' water to get used to the equipment and breathing underwater. You are taught the minimal skills you need to be safe. You then get an open water dive. You will dive in groups of 2-4 people with an assigned instructor. Once in the water, you will be amazed by the fish and the coral. The experience is truly unique and rewarding. My wife and I started our dive careers via a discover scuba session. My wife got tired of being limited to being on the surface snorkeling and wanted to get 'down with the fish'. She entered the water with a 'white grip of death' on the instructor. After her first fish sighting, she was off on her own.

15 hours ago, mimijes said:

DEEC, we have an aft cabin on Viking Mars for November Panama Canal and Central America. How was the aft cabin?  Did you have any rough seas?  
Thanks!

We did the Panama Canal in February on the Star and had an aft cabin, it was absolutely fine. We did not encounter rough seas.

Edited by biggerbearmom