How is Muster Drill handled on Seashore in Yacht Club

mafig

For the part of the muster drill where you have to go to the muster station, are there elevators available for handicapped persons.  I have seen conflicting information.  I am not looking forward to walking 10+ floors of stairs.  I will be on Seascape in Feb 2023.

Phelios

• Like 1

Haven't been on Seashore, but assuming MSC uses the same process for all ships in its fleet.  This was the process on Divina in early September:

1.  Watch the safety video in your room at designated time

2.  Call the number on screen at the end of the video

3.  Walk down to the muster station (elevators can't be used unless you have mobility issues; my father has bad knees so the crew let him use the elevator)

4.  Scan your ship card at the muster station

5.  Fight your way back to your room or any public areas; very poor traffic control once you exit the muster station area

Edit:  Of the 3 post-pandemic cruises I'd been on, MSC's muster drill process was the worst.  It was even worse than MSC's own muster drill process pre-pandemic.  It's a cluster f the it is.

Edited by Selion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mafig said:

OK, then how do they handle the muster drill on MSC Seashore?

When we were on Seashore last month they made announcements calling people by decks to report to their muster station to have their card scanned.  Once the card was scanned, we were free to go.  We also watched a video and had to dial a number with a code after we completed the video.  We didn't find the muster process a cluster at all.  

1 hour ago, Selion said:

Haven't been on Seashore, but assuming MSC uses the same process for all ships in its fleet.  This was the process on Divina in early September:

1.  Watch the safety video in your room at designated time

2.  Call the number on screen at the end of the video

3.  Walk down to the muster station (elevators can't be used unless you have mobility issues; my father has bad knees so the crew let him use the elevator)

4.  Scan your ship card at the muster station

5.  Fight your way back to your room or any public areas; very poor traffic control once you exit the muster station area

Edit:  Of the 3 post-pandemic cruises I'd been on, MSC's muster drill process was the worst.  It was even worse than MSC's own muster drill process pre-pandemic.  It's a cluster f the it is.

Absolutely agree! We had a full ship on the Seashore and it was insane. Fight your way to get anywhere is what we had to do.

10 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Welcome to 'getting back to normal'.

I think I phrased my post wrong. We had to fight our way to and from our muster station with 5000 people trying to do the same thing. But the whole cruise after that experience I never felt like we had a full ship. The layout of the ship was great, never felt crowded. 

• Like 1

To be fair i imagine many languages spoken by passengers on MSC helps screw things up. Years ago on my only costa cruise and was out of italy i was with 2 others. At our muster there was about 50 passengers and everyone else was yelling at us soon after the crew started talking. passengers were moving around like ants on a birthday cake and yelling at us no matter what we did or didn't do for several minutes. They were lining everyone up by height for a photo. Funny now but i still wonder why no crew or passenger thought about trying to yell at us in anything except italian.

11 hours ago, CruiseScrooge said:

To be fair i imagine many languages spoken by passengers on MSC helps screw things up.

Well, poorly designed process is poorly designed process.  Luckily, if you can call it that, we sailed out of Port Canaveral for a weekend cruise.  The only language used in PA - English.  I can't imagine being on a Med cruise with this cluster of a process.

My major critique is why do we have to watch the safety video at the designated time?  We could've watched the video the moment we entered our stateroom, then call the automated line to confirm we watched it.  On MSC?  Nooooooo....  Safety video wasn't even playing on a loop before the time shown on the daily planner.  The result?  Every guest getting out of their staterooms within a 15-minute time frame to go to their muster stations.  Jam packed stairways and elevator lobbies, with crew confused with who had completed the muster drill and who hadn't.  The most frustrating muster drill I've experienced so far.

On the other hand, both NCL and Viking requested guests to go to their muster station immediately upon boarding and scanned ship cards.  Afterwards, guests need to watch the safety video in their stateroom.  We had to watch the safety video before we can access any other functions on the TV.  Once the video ended, that was it!  Best muster drills, ever!  Put that in contrast with the mess MSC calls muster drills...

I would have hoped that MSC would have looked after their YC guests in a better way as this is not a good first introduction to the perks andsupposed tranquillity of YC!

On RCI you can watch the safety video any time on boarding day (even before you have arrived at the ship) - you then have a 3 hr window where you swing past your muster station to locate it and have your card scanned. Easy Peasy.

I'm the OP and the reason I asked about muster for the YC specifically was because we were in the Haven in April and they just brought a group of us to our station, and scanned our cards (within one hour of boarding) and we were done.