Celebrity just called us to try and downgrade our

LinnieRed

We have our first Celebrity cruise coming up in a week and are booked in the retreat. We had a phone call this morning where they wanted to downgrade us into the aqua class. They offered us $200 onboard credit +50% of our cruise fare back, but we declined. They didn’t mention anything about the perks of the retreat so I imagine we would’ve lost those.

I think this is super interesting that they oversold. Does this seem like a common occurrence? The rest of the ship looks almost empty based on the availability of cabins. 

1 minute ago, upwarduk said:

Suites have sold out this year.

Yeah, it seems like the suites sell out almost instantly and then the rest of the ship remains empty.
I was looking at our upcoming cruise in two weeks and there was lots of availability in everything but suites were all gone.

I doubt whether they actually oversold.  That would mean that they sold the same room to two different parties and, while the Celebrity web site is not great, it is not that bad. More likely, they have a large party (like an extended family or a VIP group) that are asking to all be accommodated together in the Retreat and they do not have enough rooms available in the Retreat to accommodate all of them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, actuarian said:

I doubt whether they actually oversold.  That would mean that they sold the same room to two different parties and, while the Celebrity web site is not great, it is not that bad. More likely, they have a large party (like an extended family or a VIP group) that are asking to all be accommodated together in the Retreat and they do not have enough rooms available in the Retreat to accommodate all of them.

Could have sold Suite guarantees thinking they’ve have cancellations. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

Did you book early and get the suite at a good price - hope you said no 

We definitely declined. I don’t think we got a particularly good or bad price, I think it’s just a regular.

3 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Could have sold Suite guarantees thinking they’ve have cancellations. 

We booked a suite guarantee, and we’re booked in the cabin that we got immediately. We only booked about a month ago for a suite coming up this weekend.

12 minutes ago, LinnieRed said:

We have our first Celebrity cruise coming up in a week and are booked in the retreat. We had a phone call this morning where they wanted to downgrade us into the aqua class. They offered us $200 onboard credit +50% of our cruise fare back, but we declined. 

I wonder how the '50% of your cruise fare' would compare to the actual price of Aqua class (either when you booked or today).  Doesn't sound like much of an offer, I hope people are careful with this.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, actuarian said:

Seems to be the most likely scenario

On our current B2B, we had a situation where a couple in a suite on cruise #1 could only book an Aqua cabin on cruise #2.  They were looking to stay in a suite for the second cruise, and I think Celebrity reached out to some booked suite passengers to see if they were interested in the downgrade offer.

Again, just an offer, not a demand.. some might like the offer... some not.

45 minutes ago, LinnieRed said:

We have our first Celebrity cruise coming up in a week and are booked in the retreat. We had a phone call this morning where they wanted to downgrade us into the aqua class. They offered us $200 onboard credit +50% of our cruise fare back, but we declined. They didn’t mention anything about the perks of the retreat so I imagine we would’ve lost those.

I think this is super interesting that they oversold. Does this seem like a common occurrence? The rest of the ship looks almost empty based on the availability of cabins. 

Aqua Class cabins include the perks now.

I wouldn't have switched either.

3 hours ago, LinnieRed said:

Which ship and what stateroom did you pay for?

2 hours ago, JFontaine said:

I would bet against a last minute large family party or VIP going into a Sky Suite. My guess would be maintenance issues, like new carpet etc. that is fairly routine during a cruise. 

2 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

Which ship and what stateroom did you pay for?

Celebrity has a "guaranteed suite" offer one can pay for. (I think it's a minimum sky suite; look on the website) That works fine until all suites are sold.

• Like 1