Carnival Luminosa - the prices keep dropping

8 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

VIFP offer via email to those lucky to receive  - 20th Nov - 11 nights to NZ - $250pp with $500 OBC from Brisbane on Carnival Luminosa in guarantee balcony.

Carnival really are struggling to fill this ship.

They took to long to get the itineraries out. Good deals, but for us, they are offset with dearer flights.

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

They took to long to get the itineraries out. Good deals, but for us, they are offset with dearer flights.

Makes driving to Brisbane an option if you have somewhere to park cheap - visit rels perhaps? It could work for me. A tank or less of diesel each way. Not good if one dislikes driving.

6 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I can travel at short notice from Brisbane but am a solo (no flights).  Can be dropped at the door of new port, if the price is right. However like many people, I have previous plans (until the end of the month). 

Luminosa needs more positive publicity.  Just my personal concerns.   Luminosa reminds me of Costa Concordia which sunk off Italy in 2012. (OK I'm a Senior)  If ever there was a ship which needed a new name, this is one.  What does Luminosa mean?  Does it sail with the same crew or different?

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

I can travel at short notice from Brisbane but am a solo (no flights).  Can be dropped at the door of new port, if the price is right. However like many people, I have previous plans (until the end of the month). 

Luminosa needs more positive publicity.  Just my personal concerns.   Luminosa reminds me of Costa Concordia which sunk off Italy in 2012. (OK I'm a Senior)  If ever there was a ship which needed a new name, this is one.  What does Luminosa mean?  Does it sail with the same crew or different?

eg I trust Hurtigrutren, Norwegian sailors, with my life to Antarctica. 

• Like 1

Means bright or enlightened. Something like that.

8 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Makes driving to Brisbane an option if you have somewhere to park cheap - visit rels perhaps? It could work for me. A tank or less of diesel each way. Not good if one dislikes driving.

Yes, but that would be a long day trip.  But we drive to Sydney in a day, with free accommodation and parking, at the end.

Yes, but that would be a long day trip.  But we drive to Sydney in a day, with free accommodation and parking, at the end.

Eight hours and 800ks from my place to my sister's place at Wishart. About another 45 minutes to terminal from there IIRC.

I didn't get the email today but when I log into my account, the cheap offers are there. I already have a cheap solo 7 nighter in December on Luminosa. I'd love to book another but the threat of airport strikes on the horizon is already making me nervous. I've even booked the train from Sydney to Brisbane as a backup option in case the flights are a mess.

51 minutes ago, timtam2 said:

I didn't get the email today but when I log into my account, the cheap offers are there. I already have a cheap solo 7 nighter in December on Luminosa. I'd love to book another but the threat of airport strikes on the horizon is already making me nervous. I've even booked the train from Sydney to Brisbane as a backup option in case the flights are a mess.

I am travelling on Luminosa with my daughter but the solo cabins were so cheap when I booked (not this cheap though)  I booked one for each of us.  I am regretting booking flights with Jetstar and only the day before.  Think I should have booked 2 days before….backup train sounds like a good option but shame you have to consider it.

Edited by aussielozzie18

I'm seriously considering this one, $267 solo for a balcony, with onboard credit means basically cruising for free. The airfares are just over $1000 but it still looks like a very cheap cruise! Any suggestions on safe, clean low cost accommodation in Brisbane lol!?

7 minutes ago, LincolnLegend said:

I'm seriously considering this one, $267 solo for a balcony, with onboard credit means basically cruising for free. The airfares are just over $1000 but it still looks like a very cheap cruise! Any suggestions on safe, clean low cost accommodation in Brisbane lol!?

We haven’t stayed there yet but have a look at Kingsford Smith hotel -  they do a shuttle to the new cruise port

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

VIFP offer via email to those lucky to receive  - 20th Nov - 11 nights to NZ - $250pp with $500 OBC from Brisbane on Carnival Luminosa in guarantee balcony.

Carnival really are struggling to fill this ship.

Should have sent it to Melbourne instead or done a few round trips from  Brisbane to Melbourne and back stopping at some other ports on the way. That way more people could hop on hop off without have to worry about airlines.

Edited by icat2000
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Should have sent it to Melbourne instead or done a few round trips from  Brisbane to Melbourne and back stopping at some other ports on the way. That way more people could hop on hop off without have to worry about airlines.

The current passport renewal delays and the increased cost of domestic airfares are problems cruise lines couldn’t have anticipated.  I do think when timed return to normal Brisbane is the perfect spot for a cruise hub in the South Pacific islands and PNG and northern Australia.  I just read that passengers should buy their airfares from cruiselines.

46 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@MMDown Under I’ve never considered a cruise out of Brisbane before because of the ease for me of getting to the OPT.  However, depending how our upcoming cruise goes, I may consider it againin the future as it allows us  to take less annual leave for FNQ & PNG cruises.

We used to always fly overseas from Sydney 

Then we were able to fly overseas from Brisbane.  Brisbane has the advantage of being closer to SEAsia, FNQ PNG and South Pacific With less annual leave for workers.

I'm not sure of the reason(s) but it seems that the cruiselines maybe have misjudged demand for cruises out of Brisbane. I have been getting a lot of emails offering deals for both Carnival Luminosa  & Quantum OTS which suggests that the demand is not there to fill those big ships.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mr walker said:

I'm not sure of the reason(s) but it seems that the cruiselines maybe have misjudged demand for cruises out of Brisbane. I have been getting a lot of emails offering deals for both Carnival Luminosa  & Quantum OTS which suggests that the demand is not there to fill those big ships.

We flew to Sydney from Brisbane to fly overseas for years.   Now we fly direct  from GC or Brisbane.  What cruise lines didn't anticipate was the current high cost of airfares to Brisbane also that people let their passports expire because of Covid.  No-one thought it would take so long to renew a passport.  In addition, some cruise lines were slow getting firm information out on their cruises, and people had made other plans.  

These are different times for everyone!

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 9:45 PM, icat2000 said:

That is a good temporary ides whilst airfares are more expensive. than they used to be. 

On 10/22/2022 at 1:10 PM, LincolnLegend said:

What cruise was this for?  I've been looking for solo December and it is dearer than this.