Price Drop

Lonedaddy

If Silversea does make you a reasonable offer, you may want to cancel and rebook the lower P2P fare (may get a different suite is a risk, but saving coin may be worth taking the risk).  I had to cancel an Expedition cruise a few months back.  Fortunately, in last week was able to rebook and save 50% on the fare, but got a Guarantee suite vs the more mid ship I had a few months ago.  Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/23/2022 at 1:33 PM, Lonedaddy said:

Ok I'll have my TA look at it

Lonedaddy, were you able to get your cruise repriced at the lower port-to-port fare?  We are on the 3 prior sailings to yours on the Dawn.  This itinerary was originally supposed to sail from May 17 - 31 before Silversea changed it to a circumnavigation of the UK.  We would have rather gone to the Norwegian fjords after our Rome - Southampton cruise, but it just didn't work out. 

2 hours ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

Lonedaddy, were you able to get your cruise repriced at the lower port-to-port fare?  We are on the 3 prior sailings to yours on the Dawn.  This itinerary was originally supposed to sail from May 17 - 31 before Silversea changed it to a circumnavigation of the UK.  We would have rather gone to the Norwegian fjords after our Rome - Southampton cruise, but it just didn't work out. 

still waiting to hear from TA

from TA

I've been in contact with Silversea regarding the current price difference.

The lower rate of $15,500 ($7,750 per person) cannot be honored on your existing reservation, you are currently holding the "port to port" which is non refundable and cannot be re-priced or changed

8 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

from TA

I've been in contact with Silversea regarding the current price difference.

The lower rate of $15,500 ($7,750 per person) cannot be honored on your existing reservation, you are currently holding the "port to port" which is non refundable and cannot be re-priced or changed

Well that stinks.  So unlike door-to-door, the port-to-port fares cannot be price matched if the fare goes down.  I'm sorry you didn't have a better outcome.

• Like 2

Ooof! That's a kick in the gut. 

So the price guarantee now, presumably, is only on D2D fares? 

They really don't like independent travellers any more. 

Another customer lost? 

Edited by Tothesunset

24 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Ooof! That's a kick in the gut. 

So the price guarantee now, presumably, is only on D2D fares? 

They really don't like independent travellers any more. 

Another customer lost? 

The original fare was decent but definitely leaving a bad taste in my mouth.  At least they could offer an OBC or partial OBC.   As far a lost perhaps I'll see as this is my first SS cruise and if it doesn't compare to regent definitely lost and either way I would wait to book if booking a port to port.  

Sounds like they’re finding increasingly inventive ways to annoy their passengers. They seem to be of the mindset that if they make the p2p conditions so punitive that people will be encouraged to book d2d instead. The non refundable aspect, the lack of VS days the complete lack of flexibility repricing etc all makes it seem like are deliberately trying to make p2p as unattractive as they are possibly able to.

D2d could be a great offering for those that want it, well it would be if it wasn’t for all of the teething problems, the big problem that they have created though through this strategy is that many of their pax aren’t d2d kinda people so that option will never appeal to some of us as we like to add bits on before and after but we don’t appreciate being punished for not taking it. It’s just another poorly thought out strategy that is backfiring spectacularly by annoying their loyal customers that prefer to make their own arrangements. 

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Sounds like they’re finding increasingly inventive ways to annoy their passengers. They seem to be of the mindset that if they make the p2p conditions so punitive that people will be encouraged to book d2d instead. The non refundable aspect, the lack of VS days the complete lack of flexibility repricing etc all makes it seem like are deliberately trying to make p2p as unattractive as they are possibly able to.

D2d could be a great offering for those that want it, well it would be if it wasn’t for all of the teething problems, the big problem that they have created though through this strategy is that many of their pax aren’t d2d kinda people so that option will never appeal to some of us as we like to add bits on before and after but we don’t appreciate being punished for not taking it. It’s just another poorly thought out strategy that is backfiring spectacularly by annoying their loyal customers that prefer to make their own arrangements. 

100% agree. As my dad used to say...... there are plenty more ships in the sea (or something like that!)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Also agree with the above sentiments, it stinks. It’s about time SS paid attention to its clients and got rid of p2p.

What? D2D only? 

Or P2P on equal terms like in the before times? 

Edited by Tothesunset

30 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Also agree with the above sentiments, it stinks. It’s about time SS paid attention to its clients and got rid of p2p.

I’d absolutely disagree. Before this whole debacle the basis was cruise only with air and transfers as an add on, sometimes included but mostly not. Rather than getting rid of p2p they need to stop actively  trying to make it so unattractive. I, Personally, would never book d2d. 

21 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I’d absolutely disagree. Before this whole debacle the basis was cruise only with air and transfers as an add on, sometimes included but mostly not. Rather than getting rid of p2p they need to stop actively  trying to make it so unattractive. I, Personally, would never book d2d.

Agree. I’d prefer that they dump D2D.and offer everything a la carte. Have a base cost for the cruise and all else (air, transfers, excursions, etc.) priced as an option. (This will never happen.)

• Like 1

On related note, we booked a cruise for next November with D2D booking plus upgrade to business class. Now the D2D fare went down by $800 CAD, but business class upgrade went up by $1,000 CAD. Would it be possible to adjust the D2D only fare and leave the business class upgrade at the previous price?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I must admit to an outsize hypocrisy over P2P/D2D. I deplore the D2D concept, not for itself (even though the included elements carry a huge mark-up), but for its promotion at the expense of those of us who prefer to make our own arrangements. 

And now I've only gone and booked an expedition cruise on the Wind which is only offered in D2D. In my defence, it was an offer from a UK agent that was hard to refuse. 

But I can't help but feel slightly soiled by being a traitor to the Provisional P2P Army. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Personally, I would rather they drop the door to door and reduce the price. Many of the service offered, (like Blacklane car service), is not available to many of us and the credit is minimal and does not cover the actual cost of the service.  We can easily, and always do, book our own car service, and mostly our own transfers to and from the ship. Flights are sometimes SS other times we book our own flights and pre or post hotels.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Observer said:

And another, including the "free" excursions without any opt out provision.  

As we know, there’s always free cheese in a mousetrap, but I never saw a happy mouse there!

They really need to stop using the term free, but unfortunately many lines are using this trick. Regent is promoting " FREE FIRST CLASS AIR* on select voyages." Oceania is promoting "FREE - 6 Shore Excursions or FREE - Beverage Package" etc. The correct term is of course "included", but I doubt any of the cruise lines will change it anytime soon.

I actually like Oceania pricing structure. You can book cruise only, then add flight, and select beverage package or excursions. As long as you understand that it's not free, it's a good structure.

Edited by ak1004

3 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

Personally, I would rather they drop the door to door and reduce the price. Many of the service offered, (like Blacklane car service), is not available to many of us and the credit is minimal and does not cover the actual cost of the service.  We can easily, and always do, book our own car service, and mostly our own transfers to and from the ship. Flights are sometimes SS other times we book our own flights and pre or post hotels.

There is no way I'm ever going to book a cruise with a non refundable deposit, and we don't book last minute. Even if they remove Blacklane and the included excursions they will never reduce the prices.

• Like 1

I’m also in the P2P Needs a Compete Overhaul camp. The terms are overly onerous and one-sided. Alternatively, I don’t live in a Blacklane area and more than 50 miles from a gateway airport so it’s useless. I’d rather book my own air and get the miles or use miles. I’ll offer a trade where SS can keep the all-included excursions if they make the other changes, basically go back to the days when there was no P2P vs D2D distinction. 

• Like 5