Sold Out Optional Tours/Dining Reservations Prior to Sailing

Pegct

5 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Received a message today from Viking that dinner and spa reservations were now open for our upcoming cruise. I found this odd since it previously stated they opened at 8 PM my time. Instead it looks like it happened at 8 AM. Results: spa reservations available, no dinner reservations available. Guess I'll try at 8 PM and see if this is a glitch or SNAFU.

I’m curious…did your shore excursions open at the stated day and time?  Or were they open early, too?  And were they mostly available, or were many already sold out?

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I’m curious…did your shore excursions open at the stated day and time?  Or were they open early, too?  And were they mostly available, or were many already sold out?

Excursions opened exactly at the stated time (noon PST). I was able to book everything I wanted. A few sold out within the hour.

We have another cruise booked and that one opens in the middle of this extension. I hope the hotel has good wi-fi and there is no problem booking from abroad.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

12 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Thank you.  May I ask what cabin category you have?  
we have almost the same problem with a second cruise shore ex opening while abroad, but we will be in a hotel.   I expect it will be fine.  

@SantaFe1We were in a remote hotel in Iceland in June 2021 when our ShoreEx opened for a cruise in Sept. 2021. I had no problem booking us on all our preferred tours. It helped that the opening was 12 noon Pacific time and we could book over our dinner rather than having to wake early for 6:30 am PT bookings (which is when they often open).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Thank you.  May I ask what cabin category you have?  
we have almost the same problem with a second cruise shore ex opening while abroad, but we will be in a hotel.   I expect it will be fine.  

DV1

We are trying a stern cabin the first time. Looking forward to the backward views.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

18 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

DV1

We are trying a stern cabin the first time. Looking forward to the backward views.

Thank you.  Even on the WC we never had to go on and book a couple of excursions and then check out and then go back.    I remember  just getting up at 1 am  and booking excursions for 4 1/2 months without a problem, in about 30 minutes.  And then restaurants,  we got ten in each, and again no problem.  But that was 2019..

I do hope you get your anniversary dinner at Manfredis.  Our pick too!

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I sent an email to TellUs... asking about the time issue and closed with the following statement. Awaiting their reply.

We will be celebrating our wedding anniversary on this cruise and were very much looking forward to a table at Manfredi's to celebrate this special occasion. Not knowing if that is possible reflects badly on Viking and contradicts your DV category advertising: "1 guaranteed priority reservation at each alternative restaurant 60 days prior to departure"

If you no longer intend to honor this "guarantee" of prior reservations, I suggest you update your website, advertising brochures, and other promotional materials where this is stated.

If you are on our cruise I would give up one of our Manifredes bookings so you could use it if possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2022 at 1:36 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

I sent an email to TellUs... asking about the time issue and closed with the following statement. Awaiting their reply.

We will be celebrating our wedding anniversary on this cruise and were very much looking forward to a table at Manfredi's to celebrate this special occasion. Not knowing if that is possible reflects badly on Viking and contradicts your DV category advertising: "1 guaranteed priority reservation at each alternative restaurant 60 days prior to departure"

If you no longer intend to honor this "guarantee" of prior reservations, I suggest you update your website, advertising brochures, and other promotional materials where this is stated.

Just to follow up....

I received a call from Viking today. Rep was very nice and noted in their system when our anniversary is and said she will check daily until our departure to see if anything opens up.

She kept on referring their "complimentary" pre-reservation system so that seems to be PR line they have been coached to use. I pointed out that "complimentary" and "guaranteed" have vastly different meanings. She went on to say there were no tables for two that day and I pointed out that MJV won't allow me to even look at any days at all and states "Dining reservations are not available at this time." I also mentioned the time discrepancy. She said she would ask IT about both these issues. Being in IT for 40 years I expect this to go absolutely nowhere.

After reading about the experiences others have had, my gut tells me the decision was made to limit reservations to above the DV level. Given COVID uncertainties, possible crew shortages, etc. I think they would rather have fewer advanced reservations to avoid possible cancellations upon arrival.

Has anyone in a DV been able to book an advanced dinner reservation in the last month?

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Yes, we are in a DV room and received notification like you that there was nothing available.  I did a "live chat" and was able to secure reservations at Manfreddi's, though the only thing available was sharing a table with others.  That was fine with us, but I can see how you would most likely prefer to be alone on your anniversary.  I have read, though, on these boards that you can generally get what you want if you wait until you get on board to make the reservations.  Good Luck!☺️

'

Booking dinner reservations.  Nothing available on ANY night that is earlier than 8:30pm. Along with the sold-out situation on most every shorex, it just one more reason to be looking elsewhere for cruise vacations.

On 10/28/2022 at 11:25 AM, oskidunker said:

I booked 4 tours with Viator. There was a problem with every one. I booked a wine tour from SanSebastian. While at the dock they called be and said the tour starts in Bilbao. Their site  says San Sebastian. There is no city listed on any of their conformations or passes . they refunded all  my money, almost $600 but i had to argue with an idiot in the Philippines  because  what you get when you call customer service .they read a script and don’t listen to you. Its really awful.

An E bike tour in one port specified pick up at the ship. When we contacted the operator he said he did not do that. A cab cost me $100 round trip.

A wine tour in Bordeaux was supposed to start at noon, when the ship docked. They changed the time to 2 pm  without telling me. and the van did not arrive until 2:20. We had planned walking around Bordeaux . After the tour. We were unable to do that.

A city tour in Stockholm arrived 30 minutes late because someone was sick. 

Customer service with Viator is out sourced and not good. They prevent tour operators from contacting you direct. They have to go through Viator. There is no way you can email Viator if you have a question about a tour before booking. . You have to call and the reps in Washington DC are not helpful or trained right. 

if you go to the port boards you can sometimes get names of local tour operators. I was lazy and did not do this. 

Viator was bought by Trip Advisor and many claim thats when the problems started. .Be careful.

Please correct me if not true.  I thought Trip Advisor also owns CC.

On 11/18/2022 at 10:45 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

DV1

There is a topic re: DV1 aft cabins. Most say it's really nice.  Only drawback is longer walks to some venues.  

On V ocean ships, not a long walk !  

6 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Just to follow up....

I received a call from Viking today. Rep was very nice and noted in their system when our anniversary is and said she will check daily until our departure to see if anything opens up.

She kept on referring their "complimentary" pre-reservation system so that seems to be PR line they have been coached to use. I pointed out that "complimentary" and "guaranteed" have vastly different meanings. She went on to say there were no tables for two that day and I pointed out that MJV won't allow me to even look at any days at all and states "Dining reservations are not available at this time." I also mentioned the time discrepancy. She said she would ask IT about both these issues. Being in IT for 40 years I expect this to go absolutely nowhere.

After reading about the experiences others have had, my gut tells me the decision was made to limit reservations to above the DV level. Given COVID uncertainties, possible crew shortages, etc. I think they would rather have fewer advanced reservations to avoid possible cancellations upon arrival.

Has anyone in a DV been able to book an advanced dinner reservation in the last month?

In a DV.  Reserved dining on opening day and time, 60 days out. Only times were 8, 8:30.  On a TA, all crossing days were not even in drop down.  Don't know why, and didn't ask.

Edited by FetaCheese

Cruised on the Jupiter, Nov 3-10 in a DV2 cabin, our first experience with Viking Ocean.   We found that both the dining and excursion reservation experience was a disappointment compared to the Viking promotional material and our expectations.   The ship itself was beautiful, but I'm also onboard to see the cities we visit, and desire to see far more then the included brief walking tours that are guaranteed.   

We were never able to access any dining reservations ahead of time, though once onboard a member of our group talked with guest services, and we got into Manfredi's two nights.  But frankly, we found the menu and service at The Restaurant to be as good or better so in the end it really wasn't an issue, but just annoying.

We were very surprised and disappointed how many excursions sold out before it was our allowed time to book.   We've cruised with multiple of the larger lines (Carnival, Disney, RC, Norwegian) and never had an excursion sell out so I never thought that could happen on a ship that's only 930 passengers!  We spoke with Viking on board and once we got home, and I also see from this message board that this is not an uncommon experience. I guess seeking out reliable third party vendors is the only way to go, using boards like these to get recommendations.    

I am curious if any of the other upscale ocean lines have this excursion selling out issue ?

Also, is Viking River Cruises better in that regard ?  The people I talked to at Viking implied it was, but I'm not sure I trust them at this point. 

33 minutes ago, iowa52402 said:

Cruised on the Jupiter, Nov 3-10 in a DV2 cabin, our first experience with Viking Ocean.   We found that both the dining and excursion reservation experience was a disappointment compared to the Viking promotional material and our expectations.   The ship itself was beautiful, but I'm also onboard to see the cities we visit, and desire to see far more then the included brief walking tours that are guaranteed.   

We were never able to access any dining reservations ahead of time, though once onboard a member of our group talked with guest services, and we got into Manfredi's two nights.  But frankly, we found the menu and service at The Restaurant to be as good or better so in the end it really wasn't an issue, but just annoying.

We were very surprised and disappointed how many excursions sold out before it was our allowed time to book.   We've cruised with multiple of the larger lines (Carnival, Disney, RC, Norwegian) and never had an excursion sell out so I never thought that could happen on a ship that's only 930 passengers!  We spoke with Viking on board and once we got home, and I also see from this message board that this is not an uncommon experience. I guess seeking out reliable third party vendors is the only way to go, using boards like these to get recommendations.    

I am curious if any of the other upscale ocean lines have this excursion selling out issue ?

Also, is Viking River Cruises better in that regard ?  The people I talked to at Viking implied it was, but I'm not sure I trust them at this point. 

I hear you.  We've traveled Viking many times before and after COVID shutdown.  I never saw this (closing out of excursions before DV gets to reserve) before COVID - and after COVID, I'm seeing it nearly all the time.

I can only think that it is because of the difficulty in finding tour operators that Viking contracts with - and again, this does vary by location.  

Hopefully this will improve in the future.

Did you ask at guest services about the excursions when you boarded?  We just returned from the Star and we were also in a DV. We had been shut for many of the preferred excursions via the online booking,  but were able to book everything we wanted once on board.

I had several discussions with the Excursions folks while on board and we discussed the problems the cruise lines ( not just Viking) are having trying to get tour guides/ vendors back.  Covid decimated the tourist industry in many, many places and that includes bus drivers ( and buses!), tour operators. guides and even venues.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2022 at 1:57 PM, SantaFe1 said:

The excursions for our Jan 30 Viking Sea cruise opened today at 12:00 Pacific time.  I logged on precisely at 12:00 and maybe 3 seconds and I got everything that I wanted.  However some of the tours sold out very rapidly and if you had waited until even 12:05 you would missed some tours.  I guess that the early bird gets the worm.  We will see what happens when dinner reservations open up.

DON

• Thanks 1

@smj

We couldn’t get dinner reservation times we liked for our summer Homelands cruise. However, once onboard, we easily booked days and times for Manfredi’s…Chef Table isn’t our style! I think they may do early walk ups if available, as we observed  couple being seated with no reservation. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, smj said:

Our time just opened for dinning reservations. The only thing I could get was Chefs Table on day 14 at 8:30. This is a bit disappointing. Do The Chefs Table and Manifed’s allow walk ups/

Less than 50% of capacity is available for online booking pre-cruise and in addition a good percentage of online reservations are cancelled/changed once onboard.

Once you board the ship you should be able to make reservations and in our experience, many evenings you can walk up and be seated with minimal delays.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, smj said:

Our time just opened for dinning reservations. The only thing I could get was Chefs Table on day 14 at 8:30. This is a bit disappointing. Do The Chefs Table and Manifed’s allow walk ups/

Read the many many posts on this thread about why that is so, and what you need to do when you get onboard.  No problem.

On 10/29/2022 at 1:46 PM, NYU73 said:

Your best bet would be to look for an outside provider in Tromso. You can get an 8-10 person mini van tour not a large bus tour, When we were ther we did this and got spectacular pictures. I cannot name toru companies as that is against this boards policy but do a little research and you will reap the benefits

safe Travels

I have been looking at the private chasing NL tours for this coming March and they almost all say 6-9 hours in Tromso whereas the ship’s chasing lights tour is 5 hours.  The small mini van sounds appealing and cheaper… but 9 hours!!  Do they really stay out that long?  We are in our mid 70’s and I don’t think we are up to staying out in the cold til 5 am.  I want to book something as I don’t think there will be any spots on the ship’s tour… but I am concerned about 9 hrs.