Noordam....5 day.....with kids.....is my daughter nuts

Kelownabccan

My daughter is thinking of doing a 5 day...Noordam out of Vancouver in the spring....with husband....lol......and two kids 6 and 5.....I am not so sure that is a good idea???...they can get an family ocean view or a balcony....but it will be like being in a closet  with 4 people with the beds out of the ceiling or one with the couch.....My thinking is there would not be much for the young kids other than the pool area and perhaps a few activities with the Club HAL group....not sure they even would have staff for that club??....Itinerary is nice....Astoria, Seattle and Victoria.....they could get off and do some nice touring in part of the day..........I think she just wants a holiday without worrying about food and things to do....sort of a break....and the price is right....with credit....haha....What are your thoughts if you have traveled on HAL with small children.....Thanks...

2 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

My daughter is thinking of doing a 5 day...Noordam out of Vancouver in the spring....with husband....lol......and two kids 6 and 5.....I am not so sure that is a good idea???...they can get an family ocean view or a balcony....but it will be like being in a closet  with 4 people with the beds out of the ceiling or one with the couch.....My thinking is there would not be much for the young kids other than the pool area and perhaps a few activities with the Club HAL group....not sure they even would have staff for that club??....Itinerary is nice....Astoria, Seattle and Victoria.....they could get off and do some nice touring in part of the day..........I think she just wants a holiday without worrying about food and things to do....sort of a break....and the price is right....with credit....haha....What are your thoughts if you have traveled on HAL with small children.....Thanks...

As long as there is suitable sleeping space for two kids and two adults, why not?  No children of my own, but, as a retired educator when I have sailed on HAL, I have read the Club HAL programs and have visited the facilities.  I have been impressed.  And, observing the counselors working with the children, they seem to know what they are doing.  

• Like 3

The children don’t have preconceived notions of cruising.   They will be delighted with being at sea perhaps seeing whales, seals and other wildlife.   I am sure most of the day they are in port.   During the day they can do family oriented activities.  At that age children are open to all experiences.   Not nuts at all.  

Remember on HAL journeys children are a star  and they are showered with attention from the crew and other passengers. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

As long as there is suitable sleeping space for two kids and two adults, why not?  No children of my own, but, as a retired educator when I have sailed on HAL, I have read the Club HAL programs and have visited the facilities.  I have been impressed.  And, observing the counselors working with the children, they seem to know what they are doing.  

Thanks for that comment.....I am a retired educator and like the positive comment.....maybe this will be lots of fun for them and 5 days is not a long time.....

• Like 2

We are going on the 5 day Koningsdam to Mexico just before Christmas. We have adjoining balcony cabins with our son, DIL and very lively 5 year old grandson. It will be an "interesting" experience and all new to our curious grandson.

Kids cruise free, school vacation, and the inside cabins, in fact most of the ship, is sold out. We are accustomed to no kids and smaller ships on long cruises. So keeping an open mind. 

2 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Actually it’s workable. Many people have put 4 in a cabin (ocean view, balcony and even inside) and have survived. Is this what I would want to do? Absolutely not. But that is ok. I think 4 adults would be really tight but 2 adults and 2 kids should be doable. It all depends on your budget & how close you all are with each other. 

I can’t speak to club HAL on this itinerary. I don’t have kids so I really don’t follow the schedule. That being said I think it depends on the kids. Some kids need constant entertainment but for others this would be great. It’s nice that it is a bit shorter, and the coastal repositioning cruises have some of the best deals out there. 

If they are just looking for a getaway as a family and are ok with the tight quarters and possibly providing their own entertainment I really think this could be a nice little trip. 

• Like 1

Here is a photo of a verandah room made up for four on a Noordam's sister ship.

https://halfacts.com/vista-class/10009-oosterdam/

I am not recommending for or against the Observation Deck (10), although we liked it fine. (The balconies are shallower.) That is just the only Vista Class ship's room made up for four that I have found! The other Verandahs for four are on Decks 4 & 5. 4 only forward or aft these are handy to the Promenade deck but may have some noise; they appear to have a larger balcony than mid-ship 5's. Deck 5 will be quieter because there are only cabins below and above.

And here is the arrangement of a oceanview for four (not made up but you can see the pullman's outline in the ceiling) on a different sister ship. You can see that the pullman makes more of bunk-bed with the sofa below, rather than being claustrophobic over the pushed-together big bed. The two twins in the photos can be made up as a double/queen/king bed, although there is a feeling of more space with them apart...

https://halfacts.com/1225-westerdam/

They should hold deckplans next to each other if they decide on the oceanview which will be on Main Deck (1): they don't want to be under the BBKing Blues Club (Currently called the Rolling Stone Lounge) mid-ship, or the large blank area port-side aft as that is the galley, and the crew cooks ALL NIGHT LONG, rolling heavy trolleys. It's better to be ABOVE a potentially noisy area (say, on Deck 4) than BELOW one you know to be very noisy!

I've cruised many times with 4 people, including me and my 3 kids in various size cabins, including a HAL inside for 3 weeks. The kids found plenty to do on the two HAL cruises we've been on. My youngest was 6 and 8 on those. We had a great time, each time, well, except for the Carnival cruise. I don't see an issue at all.

Many people cruise with kids that age and younger. The ultimate Royal Caribbean cruise has many people cruising with their kids in the same cabin for 270 days. 

Not nuts at all.  As working parents, we loved cruising with our kids.  It was such a great opportunity to spend quality time together.   We always signed up for the kids club but most sea days were spent playing board/card games together.  Port days were spent at science museums, zoos, parks, etc.  My kids (who are now mid 20s) still talk about those cruises and much fun it was ‘camping’ in a cabin!

We cruise in a quad cabin with our two kids because it is so affordable and we can go on twice as many cruises.  Yes, it would be tight if we were sitting in the cabin all day, but we are often out and about on the ship or off the ship in port.  Our kids are 9 and 12 now and we have been doing this since they were 4 and 7.  The Club Hal staff has always been great with them and they have enjoyed the club room activities and facilities.  The staff LOVE kids and dote on them.  It is honestly the only true vacation as a mom because I don't have to worry about anything when we are onboard - meals, laundry, making beds, etc!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Here is a photo of a verandah room made up for four on a Noordam's sister ship.

https://halfacts.com/vista-class/10009-oosterdam/

I am not recommending for or against the Observation Deck (10), although we liked it fine. (The balconies are shallower.) That is just the only Vista Class ship's room made up for four that I have found! The other Verandahs for four are on Decks 4 & 5. 4 only forward or aft these are handy to the Promenade deck but may have some noise; they appear to have a larger balcony than mid-ship 5's. Deck 5 will be quieter because there are only cabins below and above.

And here is the arrangement of a oceanview for four (not made up but you can see the pullman's outline in the ceiling) on a different sister ship. You can see that the pullman makes more of bunk-bed with the sofa below, rather than being claustrophobic over the pushed-together big bed. The two twins in the photos can be made up as a double/queen/king bed, although there is a feeling of more space with them apart...

https://halfacts.com/1225-westerdam/

They should hold deckplans next to each other if they decide on the oceanview which will be on Main Deck (1): they don't want to be under the BBKing Blues Club (Currently called the Rolling Stone Lounge) mid-ship, or the large blank area port-side aft as that is the galley, and the crew cooks ALL NIGHT LONG, rolling heavy trolleys. It's better to be ABOVE a potentially noisy area (say, on Deck 4) than BELOW one you know to be very noisy!

Thanks for the pictures.....really does not look all that bad......just make sure things are put away....toys etc....lol......like the one with the double bed at one end and the bunk over the couch.....seems to be more nicer.....

• Like 1

This honestly comes across as a very strange, negative, off-putting question. Who cares what a bunch of strangers think? Your daughter wants to take this trip, why not be supportive of her?

Part of the oddness of asking this is that OF COURSE people cruise with their children. Why else would cruise cabins so often be able to accommodate 4 people? Why in the world would the kids club not be staffed? It’s staffed no matter what. Why are her vacation plans so upsetting to you that you’re posting here? I can’t decide if you’re just trolling as an over the top controlling mom/meddling mother in law or not. Why would it matter if you think it’s a good idea or not? Lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We took our kids when they were in high school years ago. They had a wonderful time and my now-grown daughter loves to cruise and has taken her kids on 3 or 4 cruises at all ages. They love it - kids club or not. They will have a wonderful time.

7 hours ago, law chick said:

Why in the world would the kids club not be staffed? It’s staffed no matter what. 

Just to answer a small part of your over-the-top post: someone has just reported there is no Club HAL on the Volendam (and presummably the Zaandam) since start up. People write on Cruise Critic to learn from other people not to be cut down, despite the "critic" in the name.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, law chick said:

This honestly comes across as a very strange, negative, off-putting question. Who cares what a bunch of strangers think? Your daughter wants to take this trip, why not be supportive of her?

Part of the oddness of asking this is that OF COURSE people cruise with their children. Why else would cruise cabins so often be able to accommodate 4 people? Why in the world would the kids club not be staffed? It’s staffed no matter what. Why are her vacation plans so upsetting to you that you’re posting here? I can’t decide if you’re just trolling as an over the top controlling mom/meddling mother in law or not. Why would it matter if you think it’s a good idea or not? Lol

OP likely hasn’t cruised with small children and just wants opinions to reassure herself that her daughter will have a good time. Aren’t most people here also asking for strangers knowledge and opinions? Any parent will tell you that you never stop caring and hoping things go well for your children. 

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 4

My family have cruised on HAL with 4 in a cabin, 2 adults and 2 children about the same ages, on both 7 and 10 day cruises and had a great time.  The kids loved, loved club HAL and are now in their 20’s and 30’s still sailing and loving HAL and always bring up their wonderful memories of club Hal and their counselors who were always great.  I think your daughter and her family will have a great time making wonderful memories, just tell her not to sweat the small stuff, have fun……book it😄

Edited by doone
  • Like 2

Not crazy at all! I was 8 years old when I sailed Holland America, and that cruise gave me my lifelong cruise bug! The kids programs are sometimes better on cruise lines that cater more to older people because there is a better ratio of childrens staff to children and more quality over quantity. Yes, the pool is fun, too! They should totally do it!

• Like 3

The other good thing with HAL when we took our kids was that it was more of an international group of passengers. Not sure if that is still true, but our kids met others from all over the world. Was really eye opening for them. Since there are fewer kids they really bonded with those onboard.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vswan said:

Not sure if that is still true, but our kids met others from all over the world. Was really eye opening for them.

I am pleased to read this.  Travel ought to be an eye-opening experience and the younger that starts, the better our society will be, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Wow....good comments....not so sure about the negative one that showed up though.....as parents we took our kids years ago all crammed into an inside cabin for Christmas and had a blast....so we know what it is all about.....maybe I was worried that it was a HAL one..with usually an "older" crowd.....she also had a choice of Princess for 5 days......lol...perhaps a younger crowd...who knows these days.......either probably would be about the same......

Then she started to look at RCCL and got blown away....lol......life goes on and all we can do as good parents is explain some of the options they have.....they make the choice....

We did a 7 day Mexico many years ago. Myself and my husband, my mum and my sister, who was 3 at the time (there’s a very wide age gap) We were all in a balcony stateroom, it was a little cosy but not awful. Being able to go outside on the balcony helped.     
My sister had a whale of a time and still talks about it now. There were not many kids onboard and she got so much attention from everyone. She’s pretty self sufficient with an incredible imagination so she kept her self occupied around the shallow edge of the pool, she is not much of a screamer or a shouter so I think this helped. She loved the shows and wanted to go to the Northern Lights to dance every night!     
The servers in the MDR were fantastic and always had a plate of water melon ready for her. 
She never attended club HAL, so I can’t comment on that. 

The trip will be what they make of it, and it’ll depend a lot of what the kids are like. My sister was quiet and enjoys playing on her own, so the older more relaxed crowd suited her well. 

I hope they have a great time whoever they sail with