The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday October 30th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Candy Corn Day, Mischief Night, and Checklist Day

Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.--George R. R. Martin

Meal Suggestion for today - Garlic Tilapia with Mushroom Risotto
Drink of the Day - Haku Highball
Wine of the Day - Vik 2017 Milla Cala Millahue Red (Cachapoal Valley)
Destination of the Day - Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

Eurodam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico eta 10/31

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Vavau Islands Tonga, Neiafu eta 11/01

Oosterdam

Livorno, Florence-Pisa, Italy 08:00 - 20:00

Rotterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Istanbul, Turkey, Galataport - 16:00

Zaandam

Aqaba, Petra, Jordan 07:00 - 17:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

Kiriwina Island PNG, Trobriand, Papua New Guinea 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Rarotonga Island, Cook Islands NZ 08:00 - 17:00

1030World.thumb.png.11838f6ae8ad53ff10801499ca3d6dce.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Another lovely fall day in the forecast, a sunny 15°C (59°F) this afternoon.  The leaves are past their peak in this area, but still beautiful.  A lot of them are on the ground so we've got a lot of raking to do.

Not a fan of candy corn, and I do make a lot of lists.   We called it "doorbell night", you know, ring the doorbell and run away.  Silly fun for kids.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds interesting.  Hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich!  Very dark still, but it is lovely outside. Even Bindi enjoyed our walk. 

Thank you for keeping up with us, Roy! Your dedication to our Cares/Celebrations is much appreciated. Off to the gym, then Aldi and then a fund raising wine-tasting lunch at a local restaurant. 

Though not a funny meme, I really love the sentiment of this one.

A8F6E140-7B62-43F1-A710-E2815BA77E70.jpeg.a1ae22017ae57d694c30947d53287c9d.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 & @Quartzsite CruiserTerry & Lenda special thoughts for you. 
Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Vik 2017 Milla Cala Millahue

This Red blend from Chile sounds amazing. And it is even “chewy”.  A bit elusive, I found a few online distributors with prices starting at $39.99.

Winemaker Notes

Milla Cala 2017 reflects Millahue Valley's pure terroir. Each variety dynamically contributes to the Bordeaux-style blend's complexity. Cabernet Sauvignon seduces with ripe dark berry fruit and supple velvet tannins. Merlot delivers plush stone fruit while Cabernet Franc elevates the blend with elegant minerality. Carmenere gives the blend its depth, body, and flavors of blackberries and plums, and Syrah finishes with floral notes of lavender and violets. Twenty months aging in French barrels impart final touches of spice and mocha.

Pair with foie gras agnolotti in veal consommé and mature cheeses.

Blend: 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Cabernet Franc, 13% Carmenere, 6% Merlot, 4% Syrah.

JS94 James Suckling
This is really so delicious with spice, tile, light chocolate and juicy berries. Medium to full body. Wonderful intensity and brightness. Delicious with so much energy. No new wood here. All about balance and drinkability.
WE93 Wine Enthusiast

Briary blackberry and cassis aromas include familiar Chilean notes of eucalyptus and juniper. This Cabernet Sauvignon-dominant blend is ripe and creamy in feel, with generous flavors of brown sugar, herbs, blackberry, cassis, coffee and chocolate. The finish is chewy and rich. Editors' Choice

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 7

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Good quote and selection of days.

I'm not sure if candy corn is the same thing as carmel corn which I love. 

I'll pass on the meal because we won't eat Tilapia.

Weather is still great down here, mid 80's everyday with low humidity and no rain in the forecast.

Astros won last night and the series is tied with the next 3 games in Philly.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 25

Thank you for the Daily Fleet Report!  I will pass on the food and beverages today.  I've never been to the port.  

Today is our "Meet and Greet" with our new cat.  (It was rescheduled  from yesterday to today.)

Edited by 4966and556
  • Like 25

Thank you for the Sunday Fleet Report and Daily, Rich.  I love Candy Corn but seldom if ever eat it any more.  Prayers that Mischief night is safe for all.  Need to start making lists for my cruise in 10 days (I take the Auto Train Friday).  I don't think I've been to Puerto Quetzal.  Interesting quote by Martin.  Graham  thank you for Father David's sermon although I won't get to it until after my own service.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Fresh Fruit Medley, Veal Parmigiana, and Peach Crisp, my penultimate dinner on MS Amsterdam October 30, 2017:

dishes30.jpg

Today’s care list:

Seoul stampede victims
Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri in ICU after multiple falls
Quaartzite Cruiser DH post surgery rehab
Ottahand7 DB with post-surgery complications
smitty24877 DH catheterization 11/1
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
Cruisin Terri leak damage and recalcitrant insurance company
Sandi’s neighbor Linda recovering at home
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam and Rotterdam in Everglades

2bhb.thumb.JPG.40428f64beeea862e7ab95ffa

Marshhawk helping client with yellow fever shot and promoting Cruise Critic
6 days for CraztForCats and segarsmoker (Nieuw Amsterdam 11/6 tp 11/13)
6 days for Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS 11/6 to 11/20)
5 days for GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam 11/5 to 11/12)
5 days for Kazu, 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and ger_77 (Oosterdam 11/5 to 11/19)
Aliaschief in Avignon
Welcome home Av8rix
Oceansaway17 (Equinox  to 11/3) , Cruising-Along (Nieuw Statendam  to 11/5) and Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

Blessed Sunday to all of our Daily-ites. Thank you for the sermon and for all who  contribute.

A very fun night. The dog costumes were adorable! Very creative pumpkin carving. We didn't stay for the judging contests so don't know who the winners were.

I can't recall the last time I had candy corn. Years and years ago. We don't eat tilapia. I'll need to pull out my cruise check list soon. Which reminds me I need to finish addressing our 60+ Christmas cards. I like to write a personal note in each and have them all done by Thanksgiving morning. 

When we were kids, toilet paper was a big mischief nightmare, especially when it rained or snowed. What a mess.. and kids would throw tide in our fountain downtown. (Not my pictures:)

image.png.da225c839cf23d25a2e7cdf9c0a043f8.png

image.png.56f6631321a47d2bf4fb7b402a5e7f7a.png

Today will be a beautiful 70's day, so we are going to Fish City Grill and sit outside for lunch with friends. 

Lenda and Terry you are in my thoughts. Prayers lifted from my book and Roy's list. I count my blessings every day.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Happy Sunday Morning!  When I was little I always wanted to go out on Mischief night, one year my dad asked me what would I go out and do, and I said Chalk the sidewalks.  He gave me a piece of chalk and told me to "go to town" as long as I don't leave my own yard.  My senior year of college, I toilet papered the campus. I didn't feel any better about myself by doing these actions.

c0c325f7280e58951a5070c9f78cca36.jpg

My weekend Manager from my old job, loves candy corn.  She always had a hidden container from September til Christmas.  I love it too,  but DH does not.  And im not supposed to eat it anyway..grr...

Screen-Shot-2016-10-20-at-9.10.07-PM.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 25
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon.

Our clocks went back 1 hour this morning so I'm late posting today as we only left church today 10 minutes ago.

Thank you for the daily reports.

Thank you Roy for today's lists.

I haven't eaten corn candy.

Pauline always has a checklist especially when we go on holiday for our toiletries,clothes,and her jewellery she will be wearing with what outfits she will be wearing.

Our prayers in church included for our care list.

I hope everyone is well.

Graham.

IMG_20221030_095724.jpg

Screenshot_20221030_120012.jpg

Screenshot_20221030_115741.jpg

• Like 27

A Good Sunday morning to all.  It is cloudy and will be a rainy day here on Hilton Head.

Yesterday we went over to our house to pick up the mail and also a few things that we need.

Interesting that we look for things we can’t find.  They probably have been packed up and sent to the warehouse for storage until the house is completed.  Meanwhile it is difficult not to know where our stuff is.  We rummage around the garage in hopes of finding what we are looking for but most of the time are unsuccessful.

At this point both DH and I are more upset at the inactivity of the insurance company than we are at the mess in the house.  We don’t know how to handle it. Neither phone calls nor emails from us or the contractor are producing any results.  I also have to pay the rent on the place where we are staying and he has not sent the money for that. To say the least it is quite frustrating.

So that is my rant for today.  We move on.

Thank you Rich for the Daily and the Fleet report.  

I like the days.  I like Candy Corn but haven’t had any lately.  Don’t think I will get into any mischief tonight.  Too tired!  And, believe me, I have plenty of checklists these days.

I like the quote.

As for the meal, I am not a fan of Tilapia, but like mushroom risotto.  

Will wait to see what the wine is and skip the drink

We have been to Puerto Quetzal on our Panama Crossing back in 2010. I think I have to skip the photos as I am not able to retrieve them.

Thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration list.  

Prayers for those who need them.  You all are near and dear to my heart.

Cheers for those who have reason to celebrate, especially those cruising.  Have a wonderful time.

Thank you Graham for Father David’s Sermon.  It is always an inspiration,

That is all I can think about for now at this early time on a Sunday morning.  Time to wake up DH and prepare some breakfast.

I hope everyone has a great Sunday and

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 27

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion but have no idea what’s for dinner.  I do enjoy a small amount of candy corn.  I have a mental check list of things that need to be done today.  DH is a flight risk if I shared the whole list with him at once.  He is good at disappearing when the vacuum comes out, let alone a mop.😂. I hope everyone has a good day and hopefully “see” you at sail away.

• Like 22
  • Haha 5

Haku Highball cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Suntory Haku® Vodka
3 parts Chilled Fever-Tree Club Soda
Garnish: Lemon Peel

Instructions
Fill a highball glass to the brim with ice. Add Haku® Vodka and top with chilled soda water. Stir and garnish with a lemon peel.

Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 8.24.43 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Up early today because of working on my checklist.  We have DGD's upcoming birthday party and all holidays -- Thanksgiving, Xmas Eve, and Xmas Day -- at our house this year.  Lists and more lists.

Nope to candy corn and tilapia.  Yes to everything else -- though it's doubtful we'd ever have all the ingredients for the Haku Cocktail.  🍸

Wishing everyone a good day today.  DH is pretty pumped up because he won a tournament at Torrey Pines.  He also won his senior division at our club this year, so this has been a good golf year for him.  Happy husband, happy wife.  😊

Thanks once again to all our contributors here and thinking of those who are experiencing difficulties.  Many are out traveling again, but we have here many with struggles.  Praying that all have a pleasant day.

• Like 25

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Not a fan of candy corn, it's just too sweet.  I don't recall ever having had "Mischief Night" here in Canada, and I've been living with checklists these past couple of weeks.  Without them, I'm sure I'd forget something vital.

We had a great evening last night with our friends, lots of chatter, laughter, good food, wine and even a few tears as we toasted and remembered our dear departed Melodie.  We didn't get home till well past midnight, but my internal clock woke me just before 6 as it usually does, because there's still stuff to be done before we leave.

Today I've got to get my nails done, change the sheets, do laundry and do the final touches to the house.  Hopefully after 2PM I can check us in for our flights, and feel a little more secure in the knowledge that we'll be able to fly out of here tomorrow.

I think I'll take a pass on the tilapia, I just don't care for the taste; if I'm going to cook fish, it's either salmon or fresh-caught from a lake.  I'm not planning on cooking anything for dinner tonight, I think we'll just run out and grab a couple of burgers to enjoy at the kitchen table this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is hurting, especially for the multitude of families of victims in Seoul, and woo hoo for all who have celebrations today.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 31

Good morning friends!  I'm an hour late this morning too but not due to the time change like Graham @grapau27.  We sleep in a little on Sunday and with it so dark it's easy to do.  The weather is about 56F with some fog and rain coming in here and there today. Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor bringing us the Daily this morning.  I hadn't thought about Mischief Day in years.  I don't mind a little doorbell ringing but the vandalism such as Graham described above is totally out of hand.  Arson and brick throwing?  That's not mischief!  Candy corn is okay in small doses but it's a lot of sugar!  I need to make a checklist, that's for sure!  Joy @Seasick Sailorthanks for the reminder about Christmas card writing.  We don't get back from our Amazon cruise until Dec. 17 so I can't wait until then.  No thanks to the tilapia and risotto as well as the drink and wine.  Today's port of Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala is surprisingly a first timer.  That means some work ahead of me to find photos to post.  We were there on a Panama Canal cruise on Westerdam in 2016.  

Also want to thank Roy for the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers to all on the list and those in Ukraine.  Also I hope the people who were affected by Ian and Fiona are making progress in rebuilding and repairing.  That brings to mind Terri @Cruzin Terriwho just reported on a lack of attention by her insurance company.  That is just disgusting that they are "ghosting" you and the contractor.  It has to be illegal in some way, or at least I would hope so.  DH says we will probably be moving to a different insurance company by the end of December when our policies with our current insurance company run out.  They have run up the costs and he should be able to find a lower premium.  Once you sign up then the following couple of years they raise the premiums as fast as they can.  No wonder people don't trust them.  I told him of your problems Terri and he said too bad CC probably won't let you name them to warn others.  Anyway I always warn him we need to be fully covered, especially on the home insurance, so if some disaster happens we won't be short changed.

Cheers to all here who are on the Celebration list, cruising, and enjoying other travel and fun events.  Thanks Graham @grapau27for Father David's sermon which I will listen to later.  Roy you need to put yourself on the cruise list because yours is coming up fast too.

Hope for good news this week from Terry @smitty34877 and Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser.  Extra prayers for your families.  Time to go look at photos.  Have a nice day all of you.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

@StLouisCruisersThank you for your reply.  We pay plenty in premiums. And this is not a fly-by-night company.  i am not sure that we are unable to name the company.  It is not a travel agency.  All my insurance is through GEICO, since I was a federal employee. You could look up who they use for home insurance.  

I don’t know whether it is the desk adjuster who is the problem or the company itself.  

I do know it is very frustrating and we don’t know where to turn.  Some here have suggested a public adjuster.  We have looked into that. However, if the insurance won’t talk to us or the contractor, what makes me think they will talk to him.  We’re in South Carolina, the adjuster is in Wisconsin.  It’s not like I can go camp out in his office.

Very frustrating.

Thanks for your prayers.

Terri

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  I like candy corn this time of year. Watch out on mischief night!  Checklists are always helpful. Not sure that I agree with today’s quote as I love sleep. I avoid Talapia, so I’ll take a pass on the meal suggestion.  I haven’t been to today’s port yet.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and the people of the Ukraine. Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 20

On Good Friday, 2016 the Westerdam arrived in Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala.  Tours to Antigua for the Good Friday celebrations were completely sold out so we were forced to hang out at the port.  I had some friends on board from Australia who went there though and they came back to report on it to me.  They also gave me some beautiful photos to ooh and aah over.  This is what it looked like from the ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIiqmMxetUkV1-bNccT9qGq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143067

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIYN5kqag-sIixmcLCWQukS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143074

We made the best of our time there and walked around the nicely landscaped thatched roof "terminal" area.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLekwaZDZAbUlNCzUxVJBEY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143133

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJLaQNecmsyBpZuxh2zKdzy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143155

I guess these statues look like Mayan warriors.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLuQ8Tli4p-8yVsvBnWp1z_?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143144

We wandered through a park-like area near the terminal.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIN5-K4MFDCFNzWX9myJSWF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143204

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJYU1ZDd6ag6pDikHWQBsqA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143209

We saw a tree with thick thorns on it, the national tree!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLTVwgJ54Ng6Li8Hw2H4C57?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143213

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJWDwrJ8arHDyl2xFHLZVRg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143226

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLBF7BWIE7KwA--E98Rz9Sx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143237

Inside the terminal.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJrTOLD4knVX_YYCjXv9Hfj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143253

My friend Jenny from Australia gave me a few photos of Antigua and a volcano seen on the way there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI4RZDs3U7EIQ_6Xop1JKwO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1461177399

The Easter week celebration in Guatemala is called Semana Santa, where they honor the crucifixion and subsequent resurrection of Jesus Christ.  They use flowers to make these beautiful designs on the street.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKvXt6sOsPrZGByLkZ0ECKv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1461177405

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIGFTu_iavUmeQL4rWaaPag?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1461177405

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKqG0RJnMlBSXwOeWZoqxlD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1461177392

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLvNme3_8stO8tH51In9G7R?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1461177396

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJNYl71Gmr6rlV0swhJ6snw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1461177402

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKyphdYqAkuQzLjpplNIwYB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1461177396

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLmdyPjQlpRgxDNKNN103X1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1461177401

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIUJsWpN0kaozrBtdV5cRll?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1461177399

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJf7Vo8Hpe9t1ooLJcywKxZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1461177387

I'm so sorry I missed all this!  If you can ever get to Antigua during Easter week, make sure you don't miss it!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4