Noisy cabin, what to do?

david891

All of this could easily be a language issue and the use of one word improperly by some who’s first language isn’t English.  So perhaps just misinterpretation/poor wording.  

Anyhow, it clearly wasn’t the HD who said this.  It was someone at GS.   Perhaps that meant there is a chain of command and it first needs to go to someone else.  Obviously the situations that require the HDs immediate attention need vetting.  

Ask to speak to the GS manager asap as a starter if you can’t get the HDs attention.  They have a lot of power and authority.  The HD will likely get involved quickly.  Tell the concierge you have a serious issue that is being ignored and you need to speak to a GS manager pronto.  That should get things moving quickly.  

I know on one cruise, they roped off an area outside WJ, but covered that was over some GS due to the noise complaints.

If I was told that the Hotel Director would not talk to me after they did not solve my problem, I would be asking to see the Staff Captain. 

And probably while standing there, email mbayley about why this Hotel Director won't talk to guests with issues that are not being resolved.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 2:27 AM, david891 said:

Hello, I am D+ and currently on Wonder.

I am on deck 14, JS, right underneath the main pool. For the last 2 nights not been able to sleep from what seems to be crew throwing chairs at 2am, 4am and 7am.

Spoke to guest services and asked if there was another JS perhaps spare on a diff deck/location but they said even if there is spare JS we cannot move as already used our current cabin.

Asked to speak to hotel director but told “he doesn’t speak to guests”.

At a loss with what else I can do 😞 does anyone have any suggestions? 

Thank you 

Maybe no other cabins available. It happened to us when in a noisy cabin.

14 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Maybe no other cabins available. It happened to us when in a noisy cabin.

That may be a canned response. That was exactly the explanation I got once when on the rare occasion my cabin was not acceptable. The moment I insisted and mentioned I would escalate the problem to the higher ups and Miami corporate, they "found" me another cabin at lightening speed. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

That may be a canned response. That was exactly the explanation I got once when on the rare occasion my cabin was not acceptable. The moment I insisted and mentioned I would escalate the problem to the higher ups and Miami corporate, they "found" me another cabin at lightening speed. 

Ship was full in our case. They came and listened to the noise and were shocked. Someone who was to join the ship later, after missing the sailaway did not show on day 3. So they called and moved us to a JS for the rest of the 14 night cruise. This was back when ships sailed full.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Ship was full in our case. They came and listened to the noise and were shocked. Someone who was to join the ship later, after missing the sailaway did not show on day 3. So they called and moved us to a JS for the rest of the 14 night cruise. This was back when ships sailed full.

Nice. They did accommodate you when they were able. Good to hear. 

15 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Ships are sailing full now from what I hear!

On 11/1/2022 at 2:27 AM, david891 said:

Hello, I am D+ and currently on Wonder.

I am on deck 14, JS, right underneath the main pool. For the last 2 nights not been able to sleep from what seems to be crew throwing chairs at 2am, 4am and 7am.

Spoke to guest services and asked if there was another JS perhaps spare on a diff deck/location but they said even if there is spare JS we cannot move as already used our current cabin.

Asked to speak to hotel director but told “he doesn’t speak to guests”.

At a loss with what else I can do 😞 does anyone have any suggestions? 

Thank you 

@david891 so what happened with this issue?

On 11/1/2022 at 1:58 PM, neverbeenhere said:

There are a limited amount of staterooms above the pool deck. 😀

Basically you always want cabins above and below you to shield from noise. We never ever book under the pool deck because what the original poster says is quite common. 2 and 4am is weird but if they are doing overnight work on the pool deck, then that would be normal to hear noise coming from the pool deck. 5am on is normal for the crew to start setting up the chairs up top and you will hear that noise coming through your ceiling into the cabin. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesEM said:

I had a connecting cabin ONCE, spoke to the room steward and he placed some blankets between the doors and it helped to cut down on the noise.

Hi there, we are booked on a cruise next month on the Symphony and have connecting cabins that I'm concerned about. The people in the other cabin are not with us so I dont want to hear noise from that cabin.  I'm working on changing, but nothing is available now. I will keep checking. But, question about the blanket technique you mentioned. Do you know if her put blankets on both sides of the door OR just inside your cabin? Also, which ship were you on? Thx.

5 hours ago, blueslily said:

Hi there, we are booked on a cruise next month on the Symphony and have connecting cabins that I'm concerned about. The people in the other cabin are not with us so I dont want to hear noise from that cabin.  I'm working on changing, but nothing is available now. I will keep checking. But, question about the blanket technique you mentioned. Do you know if her put blankets on both sides of the door OR just inside your cabin? Also, which ship were you on? Thx.

I just want to reassure you that we have been assigned connecting cabins multiple times and generally we have had no issues (a bit loud once on a different cruise line).    We have never had a neighbor in a connecting cabin ask us to quiet down or give us the side-eye.  We have had loud neighbors in non-connecting cabins; I do think it would have been worse if there had been a connecting door.  If you cannot change cabins, do not be too negative; you may not have any issue firm the connecting cabin.  If you do change to a nonconnecting cabin, you cannot assume you will not have a noise issue from a bad neighbor (or a crying baby or rowdy toddler).  Always pack earplugs and be glad if you do not use them.

18 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I just want to reassure you that we have been assigned connecting cabins multiple times and generally we have had no issues (a bit loud once on a different cruise line).    We have never had a neighbor in a connecting cabin ask us to quiet down or give us the side-eye.  We have had loud neighbors in non-connecting cabins; I do think it would have been worse if there had been a connecting door.  If you cannot change cabins, do not be too negative; you may not have any issue firm the connecting cabin.  If you do change to a nonconnecting cabin, you cannot assume you will not have a noise issue from a bad neighbor (or a crying baby or rowdy toddler).  Always pack earplugs and be glad if you do not use them.

Thank you so much. I was stressing a bit.after reading some postings on here.  I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Have a great Sunday 🙋‍♀️

5 hours ago, blueslily said:

In connecting cabins, there will be 2 doors, one on your side and one on the other. The blanket would be place in between those 2 doors and not visible inside either cabin. Cheers!

Unless the cabin layout was changed for Symphony.

Edited by SilkySal
add
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, blueslily said:

Thank you so much. I was stressing a bit.after reading some postings on here.  I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Have a great Sunday 🙋‍♀️

People all tend to post and remember the troublesome events but fewer are apt comment on all the quiet, unremarkable  nights. On an upcoming cruise, I selected a connecting JS in an excellent location (hump) over a nonconnecting JS in a less desirable location, though I’ll swap to a nonconnecting JS in a great location if one comes available. 

One more thought: As you are concerned about connecting door noise, perhaps pack plenty of strong magnetic hooks so a comforter or mattress pad could be hung directly in front of the door to muffle any noise, if needed.  I have not tried it, but it seem like it might help.  And the magnets are handy for other things.

On 11/4/2022 at 7:12 PM, Donsyb said:

Ships are sailing full now from what I hear!

Ships sailing full always have some empty cabins. Cabins can be taken out of service based on a predetermined maintenance schedule (i.e. changing out worn out mattresses, etc.), or when a guest doesn't make the sailing and may not be immediately visible to a front of the house GS staffer. We had an issue on one cruise where the people in the neighboring cabin enjoyed vaping THC on their balcony, and the hotel staff "moved" them to a different cabin and the one next door became empty for the rest of the cruise. Vacant cabins can be "pressed" into service if needed for an issue that can't be resolved with passengers inhabiting the affected cabin in the way.

1 hour ago, SilkySal said:

In connecting cabins, there will be 2 doors, one on your side and one on the other. The blanket would be place in between those 2 doors and not visible inside either cabin. Cheers!

Unless the cabin layout was changed for Symphony.

What ship has two doors between connecting cabins?  Our connecting cabins on ships only have had a single door.  After all, cabin walls are thin to maximize valuable space; if there were two doors with a space between, both doors and door frames would protrude into the (already small) respective cabins, using valuable space (and depending upon layout creating a place to stub toes).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

What ship has two doors between connecting cabins?  Our connecting cabins on ships only have had a single door.  After all, cabin walls are thin to maximize valuable space; if there were two doors with a space between, both doors and door frames would protrude into the (already small) respective cabins, using valuable space (and depending upon layout creating a place to stub toes).

It's been a few years ago and I can't remember which ship it was. I was able to open my door and found another door to the other cabin. Ships have obviously changed this to one door; hopefully, with a lock on each side. Sorry for any confusion.

14 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

It's been a few years ago and I can't remember which ship it was. I was able to open my door and found another door to the other cabin. Ships have obviously changed this to one door; hopefully, with a lock on each side. Sorry for any confusion.

Upon arrival our connecting door was locked (keyed). The steward needed to contact his supervisor to unlock it.  I think the supervisor confirms both parties consent.  Our bookings were linked and we were chatting as the door was unlocked. (That’s my recollection from our first connecting cabin; it was on Explorer.  We have had a few since.  I don’t recall the opening of those doors…just the first one.)

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1