Why does MSC want you to register a credit card as part of the check-in process...

Stockjock

Because, as you have told us about very often yourself, MSC uses inadequate computer systems that don't connect the dots automatically. You will probably also know, since you might be the person on this board to have cruised MSC the most often, that registering your card while on board is a matter of minutes, with plenty of machines available and hardly ever a line.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, blordos said:

During the checking in the pre-boarding I didn't have to register any credit/debet cards. Maybe in the USA the procedure is different.

During on-line check-in, MSC asks for your credit card to be used on board. Sometimes it accepts your credit card number; often it doesn't. But whether it does or doesn't, you still have to go to a kiosk on the ship on Day 1 (or to Reception) and register your preferred credit card.

17 hours ago, sealynx said:

Because, as you have told us about very often yourself, MSC uses inadequate computer systems that don't connect the dots automatically. You will probably also know, since you might be the person on this board to have cruised MSC the most often, that registering your card while on board is a matter of minutes, with plenty of machines available and hardly ever a line.

I'm definitely not the person who has cruised MSC the most.  I think we're coming up on 5 or 6, but I just read that one fellow had sailed on MSC 10 times.

An obvious masochist.

Not sure it's the computers that are the problem, but rather, the software, coupled with certain policies and procedures that could be improved upon and streamlined/updated.  And yes, this could be one of many examples.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

We read on MSC board many times for expenses on board (tips & other stuffs) you must register a credit card at the kiosk AFTER boarding.  On our 1st cruise on Divina we did just that it did not take that long to do it because there was staff at the machine to providing help if needed and will plan to do it again on our next cruise.  For anyone had cruised with MSC once should know this procedure is a NORM for this cruise line as MSC is very European.  We also know the kiosk would not accept a DEBIT card just regular credit card would do.

Happy cruising. 

Edited by ChattTenn

FYI-

It is not required to register a credit card the 1st day nor at all.

If you are not purchasing anything onboard...

The Guest Services and verbal announcements would make you think it is required, but again only if you want to make additional purchases onboard.

The last night just go to Guest Services and you can pay your Service fee with a one time actual charge to your credit card...or pay cash.

Best way to control your spending and to avoid any errant charges to your cruise card.

Cheers and enjoy your cruise! 

1 hour ago, habitatnal said:

I don’t get why every other cruise line I can put my credit card information once online but MSC can’t figure out how to do this.

There are numerous things you can do prior to boarding your cruise with other websites that you cannot currently do with MSC, such as using onboard credit prior to boarding  to pay for excursions or other items. It seems obvious to me that the website, customer service and other parts of the pre-cruise experience are not a priority for them.

Maybe with enough complaints and poor feedback on the post-cruise surveys, they will get better. It seems they have focused on offering more “American Friendly” food options on cruises from the US.  Hopefully the pre-cruise issues will be improved at some point.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JT1962 said:

There are numerous things you can do prior to boarding your cruise with other websites that you cannot currently do with MSC, such as using onboard credit prior to boarding  to pay for excursions or other items. It seems obvious to me that the website, customer service and other parts of the pre-cruise experience are not a priority for them.

Maybe with enough complaints and poor feedback on the post-cruise surveys, they will get better. It seems they have focused on offering more “American Friendly” food options on cruises from the US.  Hopefully the pre-cruise issues will be improved at some point.

I think you make a very good point.  When some of us (ahem) point out shortcomings on MSC, including things that don't make sense, speaking personally, I hope that someone from MSC reads these comments and fixes the issues that need fixing.  I think that if many of our recommendations are taken to heart, it will make them a better and more efficient company with higher levels of customer satisfaction.

I told one employee about my "comedy of errors" thread and she seemed generally interested.  She said she was going to share it with others as a "learning experience".

Edited by Stockjock

MSC is changing (perhaps for the better). A few weeks ago we embarked on the Seashore (Yacht Club) and had done the usual online check-in stuff.  You can input a credit card online, but the MSC system keeps giving indications that you will still need to register a credit card once aboard (this is normally done the first 24 hours at one of the terminals located around the ship).  Once we were aboard I stopped by the credit card terminal located in the YC and started the usual MSC procedure of registering my card.  The system immediately rejected my card telling me I already had a card registered.  So, surprisingly, the online process actually worked (although we never received a confirmation until onboard).

For newbies to MSC, I will say that their system is different.  While just about every other cruise line would require you to register a credit card during embarkation (before you board the ship) on MSC it is normally (or used to be) done at any of the terminals (on the ship) during the first day,  I assume that if you fail to have a card registered your onboard account will eventually be frozen until you either register a card or provide some kind of adequate cash deposit.

Hank

• Thanks 2

On 11/4/2022 at 9:21 AM, cellfree said:

No need to register cc when doing online check in, skip that step, necessary to register once on board at kiosk.

This is what we will be doing, because the redundancy makes zero sense. Shame the online registering doesn't work, because I much rather not have to go to guest services for a single thing at all. Much less on day one. 

This topic has me confused.

I have sailed MSC twice in the last 13 months out of Florida.

Both cruises I registered my card online before the cruise for onboard account.

I did not have to go to any kiosk or desk during either cruise.

20 hours ago, cruizinisthebest said:

This is what we will be doing, because the redundancy makes zero sense. Shame the online registering doesn't work, because I much rather not have to go to guest services for a single thing at all. Much less on day one. 

You do not go to Guest Services, you go to a Kiosk, have your room card and credit card with you. 

FWIW, I got off the Meraviglia yesterday (first-time MSC cruiser). The credit card information I entered during online check-in was active. I didn’t have to go to a kiosk or do anything special. (Called guest services early on to ask if I needed to go to a machine and was told no. The last four digits of my credit card also showed up when I checked billing details on the app.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, def0715 said:

FWIW, I got off the Meraviglia yesterday (first-time MSC cruiser). The credit card information I entered during online check-in was active. I didn’t have to go to a kiosk or do anything special. (Called guest services early on to ask if I needed to go to a machine and was told no. The last four digits of my credit card also showed up when I checked billing details on the app.)

Us, too.

Registered online.  It took.  Confirmed at Concierge Desk at Seashore YC. 

On 11/4/2022 at 2:20 PM, JT1962 said:

I was on the 10/23 Meraviglia cruise. Still waiting for my survey.. .Lord knows I have a lot to say but I doubt I will get one.