Highly unusual incident on the Anthem of the Seas.

AltarEgo

Not being aware of all extenuating circumstances I cannot comment to the OP's post #1. Regarding embarkation and debarkation, if passengers would arrive at their assigned times and comply with the rules instead of everyone disregarding their assignments and each other, then perhaps that would alleviate some of the problems. We know that won't happen, don't we? Always have a bottle of water handy at embark and debark. might come in handy. We know that won't happen, don't we? Be prepared for unforeseen circumstances, especially when they have happened before. We know that won't happen, don't we? It's kind of like reaping what you sow. We know that will happen, don't we. 

9 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Not being aware of all extenuating circumstances I cannot comment to the OP's post #1. Regarding embarkation and debarkation, if passengers would arrive at their assigned times and comply with the rules instead of everyone disregarding their assignments and each other, then perhaps that would alleviate some of the problems. We know that won't happen, don't we? Always have a bottle of water handy at embark and debark. might come in handy. We know that won't happen, don't we? Be prepared for unforeseen circumstances, especially when they have happened before. We know that won't happen, don't we? It's kind of like reaping what you sow. We know that will happen, don't we. 

Off-topic reply, given this is about an off and on customs routine.

I don't understand how RCL wasn't more proactive when the count was down to 33:  going to the 33 staterooms, stopping any non-crewmember in a public space, repeatedly making progressively more harsh announcements over the PA, including warnings to terminate their forward passage if they didn't come forward immediately.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I'm guessing at least they are banned from RCCL and if the lines has any guts they will sue them for the $200k.  

2 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

These people will not be sailing RCCL again.

No way, no how 

It takes FAR more than some inconsiderate behavior to earn a ban.  

1 hour ago, swanee4 said:

We just returned from a cruise on the Anthem of the Seas. We had to go through customs in Miami because it was our first port back in the US. All passengers were required to leave the ship. Thirty three passengers felt they didn’t have to follow this rule. Because of this small group over 4,000 people had to stand on the pier for up to five hours. Royal Caribbean paid out over $200,000 as compensation for having to stand hours in the heat without even water. I’d like to know if anything was done to these few people who showed so little regard for all the passengers on this ship.  We’re they removed from the ship?  Banned from further sailing? To me it seems they should be punished in some way.

I was also on that sailing and would like to know.  Right now, I believe that they probably received the OBC like everyone else.

56 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

I don't understand how RCL wasn't more proactive when the count was down to 33:  going to the 33 staterooms, stopping any non-crewmember in a public space, repeatedly making progressively more harsh announcements over the PA, including warnings to terminate their forward passage if they didn't come forward immediately.

This ,    Where were these 33 people hiding. How could they not locate them on the ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, loman said:

This ,    Where were these 33 people hiding. How could they not locate them on the ship.

Unless there was a language barrier and the passenger didn't understand the written & verbal announcements - the 33 scofflaws should have been penalized.

4 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Unless there was a language barrier and the passenger didn't understand the written & verbal announcements - the 33 scofflaws should have been penalized.

I think the Captain totally mishandled the situation. All he had to do was dispatch a couple of hundred of his crew to locate the perps , and this would of come to an end in under half an hour.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, loman said:

I think the Captain totally mishandled the situation. All he had to do was dispatch a couple of hundred of his crew to locate the perps , and this would of come to an end in under half an hour.

They're like the passengers who during the old muster would hide in their showed when crew would check their cabin! I had someone proudly tell me they did that.  Not sure what to do with people who think they are above the rules. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

They're like the passengers who during the old muster would hide in their showed when crew would check their cabin! I had someone proudly tell me they did that.  Not sure what to do with people who think they are above the rules. 

Well - how hard is it to check the shower?

10 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Well - how hard is it to check the shower?

I think they did before covid changed things.  Even now the captain has to call out names of people who haven't reported to their muster station.  Considering how simple it is now not sure why people still try to avoid it.  Since Black Falcon pier has very little room in the terminal we cleared immigration onboard.   This was the Anthem TA.  We did have fewer passengers and majority non US citizens so they clearly knew they would have to clear immigration and were prepared. 

4 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

I agree, it can't take five hours to track down 33 people.  

1 minute ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We still do that?  

Yes.  Just staggered. Report as soon as you board. They check you in, show you the life jackets and your done.  Some people can't seen to do that before they start to party. 

19 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Yes.  Just staggered. Report as soon as you board. They check you in, show you the life jackets and your done.  Some people can't seen to do that before they start to party. 

We watched an app video prior to boarding and then checked in at our muster station just down from where we boarded.  It's so easy I can't believe anybody would not do it.  Much easier than before, I would hate to see them go back to that.  

4 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

How do you know they didn't do what you are saying?  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I agree, it can't take five hours to track down 33 people.  

I read on another site the Captain was announcing names to report immediately.

One couple was found on their balcony, said they didn't hear announcement.

Another couple was still asleep and very hungover.

Probably similar stories for others.   

So rude, I'm sure everyone was given instructions.  Probably didn't bother reading.

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I read on another site the Captain was announcing names to report immediately.

One couple was found on their balcony, said they didn't hear announcement.

Another couple was still asleep and very hungover.

Five hours to find them IN THEIR CABIN?  Unacceptable!   

17 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I highly doubt it was 5 hrs to find these couples. 

Estimated timeline:

If the last scheduled immigration appt was 10 am and everyone in line was done by 1030 am.  They probably started checking cabins around 11 am.

So it took 2 hrs to find the 33 missing passengers.

Edited by Sunshine3601

18 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

They didn’t start looking for them until they got a list.  Also if they knocked and got no answer would not immediately try to unlock the door.

• Like 1