First cruise in forever - on Summitt

boopuff

We’ll be taking our first cruise in forever (our very first cruise was aboard the now defunct, Big Red Boat). We just booked the Summit for a December cruise.  Thinking about consierge room.  Since were booking rather late the cost isn’t bad.  I do have a few questions about the “adding tip” prior to sailing.  So when we do that do we just not tip bartenders, stewards etc?  Are there envelopes at the end?  Or does our tip pre-pay cover it all?  Sorry if this has been asked but I didn’t find my answer elsewhere. Thanks

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.   You can pre-pay tips in advance if you choose or it will be automatically added to you room account on a daily basis.

The tips cover all services and bars on the ship but many when they have really good service tip extra.    This is a personal choice.     They do not leave out envelopes but if you wish some just stop by guest relations.    You can also leave additional tips using a form which is available at the front desk and would be charged to you account.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, boopuff said:

We’ll be taking our first cruise in forever (our very first cruise was aboard the now defunct, Big Red Boat). We just booked the Summit for a December cruise.  Thinking about consierge room.  Since were booking rather late the cost isn’t bad.  I do have a few questions about the “adding tip” prior to sailing.  So when we do that do we just not tip bartenders, stewards etc?  Are there envelopes at the end?  Or does our tip pre-pay cover it all?  Sorry if this has been asked but I didn’t find my answer elsewhere. Thanks

Tips are usually either prepaid with AI fares or added at the end automatically. 

• Like 1

I just returned from the Summit Boston to Miami cruise - you will love it!  The staff is outstanding - they deserve every cent they get!  

Every staff member and officer who passes you acknowledges you every time no matter what their position.  They even had several staff members on deck as we were leaving saying goodbye, thank you and come again!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The tips cover all services and bars on the ship but many when they have really good service tip extra. 

To be clear - if you have paid an AI fare, you have already paid the standard gratuities for your meal service and room steward - and also paid the standard gratuities as part of the included beverage package.

If you fare is not an AI fare, you have the option to prepay the standard gratuities or have them applied daily to your account. But unless you purchase a beverage package, you will be paying the bartenders tips via the automatic gratuity added to the cost of each individual drink.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, "The Big Red Boat," Premier Cruise Lines, headquartered in Cape Canaveral when they were operating.  You've been out of the embarcation line for awhile.  Which cruise ship or ships did you sail with on Premier?

You will love Celebrity. We are all older now, but you'll be treated like the cool cruiser you are on Celebrity. Welcome aboard.

If you like the shorter cruises, the Summit out of Miami is most excellent.

We are sailing our first cruise in forever aboard the Summit in June 2023.

We are in Aqua Class.  It includes all tips.

When you prepay your tips, are there any pressures put on you to leave additional tips?  

We already plan on giving our cabin steward extra money on day one to ensure he takes good care of us.

44 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

When you prepay your tips, are there any pressures put on you to leave additional tips?  

We already plan on giving our cabin steward extra money on day one to ensure he takes good care of us.

I've never felt pressured to give more - I'm not sure they know who is pre-paying them and who isn't (and there are enough who would get AI and then demand that the tips be removed I doubt they would put much stock in any such list.)

I've never bribed my stateroom host, servers, or any bartenders and I always have great service.

While I may - and have - give extra money on the cruise, I know that FAR more valuable to them is mentioning them by name on comment cards and/or a letter after the cruise. That can lead to promotions and raises that are worth far more in the end than a little bit extra as a one-time thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJRonbo said:

When you prepay your tips, are there any pressures put on you to leave additional tips?

I've never had any pressure to leave any additional tips on any cruise on any cruise line. It's one nice thing about doing things this way, IMHO.

1 hour ago, NJRonbo said:

No! 

If you book with AI I don't believe there is any way to remove tips which in my mind is good.    If you don't book AI then tips are charged daily to your folio.   I'm sure when tips are removed the people in the tipping pool are aware.